#26 EL DESCANSO (1810+ & 1830-1834)
The site was developed in late 1809 or early 1810 as a new location for Mission San Miguel, which had just suffered the loss of their farmlands from flash floods. Called "San Miguel la Nueva" at El Descanso by the Dominicans. The older site was re-occupied at some point in the following years. It was not until 1830 that a new church was built near the 1810 site and it was called a mission by its priest.
1927 photo by Peveril Meigs of Descanso and the fort location to the south is indicated (the original 1810 mission site).
1927 mission plan by Meigs of the 1830 site for Descanso.
1949 photo of Descanso by Marquis McDonald.
2003 photo by Jack Swords (copyright) at the newly uncovered mission tile foor. Now protected by an awning, the ruins are next to the modern church, just east of the Ensenada toll highway. GPS: 32°12'19.6" 116°54'19.2"