Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #21
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: Florida
Posts: 1,960
Re: Your favorite warrior tribe west of the Mississippi


I really don't have a particular "favorite" warrior tribe, but the thought just occurred to me...

Am I the only one to notice that when "white" people who say they have some Amerindian blood in them (and for some strange reason it's 1/4 part, not 1/2 or 1/8) always claim to be of Cherokee descent? Maybe it's just my experience but I have never heard a white person claim to be of any other Amerindian tribe -- and believe me, I've had many people make such claims to me. Out of a hundred possible tribes, it's always, "Yeah, didn't you know? I'm part Cherokee!"

I'm wondering if that '60s tune "Cherokee People" by Paul Revere and the Raiders has anything to do with it...
augustus is offline  
Remove Ads
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #22

okamido's Avatar
knows what the bee knows
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: land of Califia
Posts: 29,886
Blog Entries: 28
Re: Your favorite warrior tribe west of the Mississippi


Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus View Post
I really don't have a particular "favorite" warrior tribe, but the thought just occurred to me...

Am I the only one to notice that when "white" people who say they have some Amerindian blood in them (and for some strange reason it's 1/4 part, not 1/2 or 1/8) always claim to be of Cherokee descent? Maybe it's just my experience but I have never heard a white person claim to be of any other Amerindian tribe -- and believe me, I've had many people make such claims to me. Out of a hundred possible tribes, it's always, "Yeah, didn't you know? I'm part Cherokee!"

I'm wondering if that '60s tune "Cherokee People" by Paul Revere and the Raiders has anything to do with it...
I have tracked two Cherokee women into my geneology,( have no idea on %, and don't really care), and I believe it has more to do with the placement of the original tribe in the Carolinas and Tennessee than anything else. Both of my Scottish ancestors(a Stewart and a Russell), who married Cherokee women, immigrated from Virginia to Tennessee where the wedded bliss took place. Since this is a major direction that Scots-Irish/ Ulster-Scots went, it plays to reason that they might be some intermingling, especially in the more untamed days before European women migrated there.
okamido is offline  
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #23
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: Florida
Posts: 1,960
Re: Your favorite warrior tribe west of the Mississippi


Quote:
Originally Posted by okamido View Post
I have tracked two Cherokee women into my geneology,( have no idea on %, and don't really care), and I believe it has more to do with the placement of the original tribe in the Carolinas and Tennessee than anything else. Both of my Scottish ancestors(a Stewart and a Russell), who married Cherokee women, immigrated from Virginia to Tennessee where the wedded bliss took place. Since this is a major direction that Scots-Irish/ Ulster-Scots went, it plays to reason that they might be some intermingling, especially in the more untamed days before European women migrated there.
I'm not doubting at all that some degree of miscegenation between whites and Cherokees did occur; nor do I doubt your word on your personal geneology -- it seems that you at least have done your homework. What I'm referring to are those people who, when asked -- in my personal experience anyway -- how they know that they do indeed have Cherokee blood coursing through their veins respond with something like, "Well, because my mother/father told me." I believe that the majority of these people simply think it's "cool" to be part Indian; especially Cherokee Indian. Some people are just so insecure within themselves and not overly-proud of their own true European heritage that they fantasize about being Indian and think that they're impressing those whom they impart the tale to. And who can really blame them with all the "red man good; white man bad" (or any other "people of color" good vs. bad white for that matter) indoctrination they've been subjected to over the last 50 years or so? And, like I said, it's always Cherokee ancestry that they claim; never Navajo, Iroquois, Algonquin or any other tribe. If these people's testimonies are to be taken at face value and all these stories are true, there must have been one hell of a sexual chemistry between the Cherokees and white people, I'll tell you that.

Last edited by augustus; March 17th, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
augustus is offline  
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #24

Cicero's Avatar
The Adequate
Mostly Harmless
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Tennessee
Posts: 7,829
Re: Your favorite warrior tribe west of the Mississippi


Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus View Post
always claim to be of Cherokee descent? Maybe it's just my experience but I have never heard a white person claim to be of any other Amerindian tribe -- and believe me, I've had many people make such claims to me.
I am white and part Alabama Indian.... so I am told, only a small %.

Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.native-languages.org/alabama.htm
Cicero is offline  
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #25
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: Florida
Posts: 1,960
Re: Your favorite warrior tribe west of the Mississippi


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I am white and part Alabama Indian.... so I am told, only a small %.

Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.native-languages.org/alabama.htm
You kill me, Cicero, you really do! (Only please, whatever you do, just don't scalp me, okay? I'm experiencing male pattern baldness as it is and need every follicle of hair I can hang onto).

and btw -- I meant to mention something else in my previous thread regarding okamido's ref to intermingling bewteen whites and Indian females before their women arrived on these shores. According to renowned social/political commentator Thomas Sowell, the reason that North America remained predominantly white as opposed to South America where there was a much higher level of miscegenation is because most Europeans coming to the northern continent did in fact bring their wives with them and hence race-mixing between whites and natives was at a minimum. They were looking to permanently settle in N. America and therefore brought all their belongings -- ball and chain included -- with them. The Spaniards on the other hand, were strictly after gold to bring back to the homeland and thus being "temporary residents" of S. America left their hot tamale senoritas at home; all the while planning to return in due time. It then follows that when these blueballed fortune-hunters got the primal urge, they weren't averse at all to "doonit" with the native hotties. After all, any port in a storm, right?
augustus is offline  
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #26

Cicero's Avatar
The Adequate
Mostly Harmless
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Tennessee
Posts: 7,829
Re: Your favorite warrior tribe west of the Mississippi


Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus View Post
You kill me, Cicero, you really do! (Only please, whatever you do, just don't scalp me, okay?
Alamaba Indians mainly made baskets for resale in China I think. Wouldn't know which end of a tomahawk to aim at your scrawny pate.
Cicero is offline  
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #27
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: Florida
Posts: 1,960
Re: Your favorite warrior tribe west of the Mississippi


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Alamaba Indians mainly made baskets for resale in China I think. Wouldn't know which end of a tomahawk to aim at your scrawny pate.
That bad, eh? Must be related to the Hekawi Indians of F-Troop fame...

Remember the episode (boy, am I giving away my age!) when they revealed the origin of the tribe's name? Some of the tribe's members, while out scavenging for God knows what, got lost. Going 'round and 'round in circles, one of them, scratching his head, finally asked the chief, "Wheah da heck-ah-we?", and the name stuck.

Rumor has it that this was the very same tribe that instead of hunting buffalo and raping women, got it all mixed up and did the exact reverse. This may be be why they eventually became extinct; or so the theory goes...


catch you later, my time's about up.
augustus is offline  
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #28

okamido's Avatar
knows what the bee knows
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: land of Califia
Posts: 29,886
Blog Entries: 28
Re: Your favorite warrior tribe west of the Mississippi


Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus View Post
You kill me, Cicero, you really do! (Only please, whatever you do, just don't scalp me, okay? I'm experiencing male pattern baldness as it is and need every follicle of hair I can hang onto).

and btw -- I meant to mention something else in my previous thread regarding okamido's ref to intermingling bewteen whites and Indian females before their women arrived on these shores. According to renowned social/political commentator Thomas Sowell, the reason that North America remained predominantly white as opposed to South America where there was a much higher level of miscegenation is because most Europeans coming to the northern continent did in fact bring their wives with them and hence race-mixing between whites and natives was at a minimum. They were looking to permanently settle in N. America and therefore brought all their belongings -- ball and chain included -- with them. The Spaniards on the other hand, were strictly after gold to bring back to the homeland and thus being "temporary residents" of S. America left their hot tamale senoritas at home; all the while planning to return in due time. It then follows that when these blueballed fortune-hunters got the primal urge, they weren't averse at all to "doonit" with the native hotties. After all, any port in a storm, right?
What I meant as intermingling and the european women, was not the settlers on the east coast, but the amount of single "Scotch-Irish" men that moved west into areas like eastern Tennessee before true settlements were born, that would inevitably see European women settle down.
okamido is offline  
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #29
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: Florida
Posts: 1,960
Re: Your favorite warrior tribe west of the Mississippi


Quote:
Originally Posted by okamido View Post
What I meant as intermingling and the european women, was not the settlers on the east coast, but the amount of single "Scotch-Irish" men that moved west into areas like eastern Tennessee before true settlements were born, that would inevitably see European women settle down.
Gotcha
augustus is offline  
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #30

Mountain Man's Avatar
Centurion
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Re: Your favorite warrior tribe west of the Mississippi


Cheyenne Dog Soldiers.
Mountain Man is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
mississippi, tribe, warrior, west



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Favorite Japanese Warrior? Salah Asian History 43 December 20th, 2013 04:02 AM
Highlander Warrior vs Sikh Warrior Helfaeng Speculative History 46 January 3rd, 2011 05:33 PM
Favorite Viking Warrior Or Country Helfaeng Ancient History 21 July 10th, 2010 08:56 AM
Your Favorite Soldier or Warrior? Salah War and Military History 20 March 3rd, 2010 08:24 AM
The Mississippi River in the Civil War hisstory American History 4 September 16th, 2006 07:48 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.