Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:22 PM   #21
Archivist
 
Joined: Dec 2016
From: Utah
Posts: 142

I hope that nobody thinks LBJ was some kind of egalatarian when it came to race. Even MSNBC says that he was a racist.
Utah Jay is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:24 PM   #22
Archivist
 
Joined: Dec 2016
From: Utah
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
The idea that LBJ supported civil rights only to get votes is patently nonsensical. A look at the political fortunes of the Democratic Party pre and post civil rights should be ample evidence of that. The man had myriad flaws and while an ideal legislative politician, was in many respects not well suited to exercising executive power, but there was more to him than that.
So the possible 1964 challenge by Kennedy had nothing to do with it?
Utah Jay is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:38 PM   #23

Commodus's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Jay View Post
A welfare state is awful. Poverty levels in inner cities have not been lowered since Johnson's War on Poverty. The rate of black kids with no father in the house is insanely high today and the welfare policies help thatnumber along. A welfare state creates a cycle of dependency that ruins people. The welfare state in the US attracts illegal immigrants who are a burden on state and federal systems.

Need I go on?
Yes, I think you should. Because 9 times out of 10 people against welfare seem to blame the poor for their poverty and want to throw people in low-paying jobs under the bus because "they should just find another job".
It's funny how people phrase their disagreements as if they actually care about the poor or working classes, but when pushed their arguments basically amount to "let them starve".
Commodus is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:44 PM   #24
Archivist
 
Joined: Dec 2016
From: Utah
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
Yes, I think you should. Because 9 times out of 10 people against welfare seem to blame the poor for their poverty and want to throw people in low-paying jobs under the bus because "they should just find another job".
It's funny how people phrase their disagreements as if they actually care about the poor or working classes, but when pushed their arguments basically amount to "let them starve".
That is untrue. Can you argue the point without logical fallacies?
Utah Jay is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:45 PM   #25
Archivist
 
Joined: Dec 2016
From: Utah
Posts: 142

Some, who are not SJWs see generational welfare as ruinous to communities.
Utah Jay is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:51 PM   #26

Commodus's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Jay View Post
That is untrue. Can you argue the point without logical fallacies?
Can you argue your point without advocating poverty and homelessness?
Commodus is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2017, 01:08 PM   #27
Archivist
 
Joined: Dec 2016
From: Utah
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
Can you argue your point without advocating poverty and homelessness?
There you go again.

I will humor you.....

Nobody is advocating FOR poverty. Poverty is the natural lot of humans. Nothing in history has raised the standard of living for so many aside from capitalism. Since the first business in history opened in xxxx BC there has been inequality among humans. That is going to happen. Some people are blessed with talent, some blessed with a great work ethic, some with both, and some have both or none but are blessed with luck. (Lebron James, has both, lucky to be alive today in the US. Some bum who won the lotto just got lucky.)

In a free society, there is no equality of outcome. Murray Rothbard called egalitarianism a "revolt against nature." The left wants equality of outcome, conservatives want equality of legal opportunity. The left plans to regulate every bit of racial and gender numbers in the workforce. The left wishes for a $15hr minimum wage. (Why not $100hr, why not $1000?) The left wishes to social engineer our economy and our lives.

So excuse me if I think people have more worth than a welfare check for the rest of their lives. I am sorry if I am against a political faction ruining our great country.

Keep running the big cities. Keep savings low and the murder rates high. You are doing a wonderful job.
Utah Jay is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2017, 01:21 PM   #28

Commodus's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Jay View Post
There you go again.

I will humor you.....

Nobody is advocating FOR poverty. Poverty is the natural lot of humans. Nothing in history has raised the standard of living for so many aside from capitalism. Since the first business in history opened in xxxx BC there has been inequality among humans. That is going to happen. Some people are blessed with talent, some blessed with a great work ethic, some with both, and some have both or none but are blessed with luck. (Lebron James, has both, lucky to be alive today in the US. Some bum who won the lotto just got lucky.)

In a free society, there is no equality of outcome. Murray Rothbard called egalitarianism a "revolt against nature." The left wants equality of outcome, conservatives want equality of legal opportunity. The left plans to regulate every bit of racial and gender numbers in the workforce. The left wishes for a $15hr minimum wage. (Why not $100hr, why not $1000?) The left wishes to social engineer our economy and our lives.

So excuse me if I think people have more worth than a welfare check for the rest of their lives. I am sorry if I am against a political faction ruining our great country.

Keep running the big cities. Keep savings low and the murder rates high. You are doing a wonderful job.
If someone doesn't have a job, do you think they should be begging on the street?
Commodus is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2017, 01:44 PM   #29
Archivist
 
Joined: Dec 2016
From: Utah
Posts: 142

It depends on the reason they are there. Are they workers or are they bums? Yes I said bums. Here in Salt Lake our mayor has given an entire area to the drug addicts - Pioneer Park and the Rio Grande area. - businesses are leaving and the park is a great place to get meth and heroin.

Welfare should be a safety net and that is it. Welfare should be tied more heavily to job searching. If people don't WANT to work then I care not about them.

It should not be easy or comfortable to stay on welfare. Welfare that is long-term is slavery to the state.

Edit- sorry we hijacked the thread.

Last edited by Utah Jay; January 3rd, 2017 at 01:46 PM.
Utah Jay is offline  
Old January 3rd, 2017, 02:22 PM   #30

StoryMan's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Northwest Territories, USA
Posts: 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Jay View Post
Because the thread was not specific. Favorite can mean as "interesting," or for "policy," or as a "person."

Many could like Carter's personality and humanity but hate his policy.
"Who is you(r) favorite president?" is very singularly specific, as opposed to "Who are your favorite presidents?". Do you see how the English language is able to differentiate between singular and plural?

And another thing, favorites need no defense, therefore, to attack one's favorite is rude. If your favorite color was blue, for example, it would be in poor taste for me to say, "Well, blue is a horrible choice. A lot of people hate blue."

See how TotalAaron named his favorite president instead of his list of top 5 presidents? And he did not denigrate anyone's choice that was not the same as his. He even found a nice photo of the man for us. He gets it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAaron View Post
Anyway my favourite is the man himself

Click the image to open in full size.
Next you'll probably say you don't like poor people, because I've noticed you do that a lot.
StoryMan is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
president, states, united



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who was the most centrist President of the United States? CentristVoice American History 18 February 3rd, 2015 05:11 PM
"Its an honorary title much like the president of the united states?" Historyfreak American History 1 April 1st, 2014 01:27 AM
Washington- The first President of United States, need help. Kid History Help 7 January 13th, 2010 11:22 AM
John Hanson -- First President of the United States n1ck American History 12 July 28th, 2009 04:11 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.