Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2018, 09:17 PM   #1

Davetron the great's Avatar
Citizen
 
Joined: Jan 2017
From: Philly
Posts: 16
How much did the United States contribute to WW2 in Europe


What would it be like if they never entered I assume most People know 80% of Germans died on the eastern front but how much did the US Contribute to the European war ?

-10% of the of the Soviet Unions War effort was from the US during the LL act and around the same for the British.
-US Air raids contributed at Day while the British were at night so they constantly would have pressure on the Germans
-Would Operation Torch or the Italian Campaign have been possible let alone Operation Overlord ?
-And last if the Japan never attack Pearl Harbor and instead invaded Siberia and there was never Normandy invasions to liberate western Europe either the Soviets would have lost or dominated and occupied all of continental Europe, Manchuria and taken over Japan
-any thoughts on how this would have effected the these scenarios ?
Davetron the great is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:09 PM   #2

Lord Fairfax's Avatar
Tickling the Dragons tail
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Rupert's Land ;)
Posts: 2,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetron the great View Post
What would it be like if they never entered I assume most People know 80% of Germans died on the eastern front but how much did the US Contribute to the European war ?


-Would Operation Torch or the Italian Campaign have been possible let alone Operation Overlord ?
- ?
Torch without the US? - yes.
Husky/Avalanche? - maybe
Liberation of France? Very unlikely.
Lord Fairfax is offline  
Old January 11th, 2018, 06:07 AM   #3

David Vagamundo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 3,666

Perhaps the largest contribution of the US to the Allied war effort was materiel. The US industrial base was intact, lots of the US workforce prior to the war unemployed, and it was easy to switch production in Detroit, for example, from autos to jeeps, trucks, tanks, etc.

WWII in Europe was won in Russia and Detroit, with a large assist from the UK
David Vagamundo is offline  
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:22 PM   #4

Willempie's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2015
From: Netherlands
Posts: 3,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vagamundo View Post
Perhaps the largest contribution of the US to the Allied war effort was materiel. The US industrial base was intact, lots of the US workforce prior to the war unemployed, and it was easy to switch production in Detroit, for example, from autos to jeeps, trucks, tanks, etc.

WWII in Europe was won in Russia and Detroit, with a large assist from the UK
Agree with the sentiment (in that Russia bore the brunt), but without US forces nothing would have been possible in western Europe.
Willempie is offline  
Old January 11th, 2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: Connecticut
Posts: 1,782

Far far more than the third most important Ally, far far less than the most important.

Here's what the US contributed
1)supplies to the USSR when it was on the brink of defeat
2)an invasion of Italy that diverted key troops from the Eastern front in 1943 that could have been the difference at Kursk, when the Germans could have still taken Moscow with a little luck.
3)The second front at D Day. UK deserves much of the credit here, as their island served as the launching pad.
4)The bombing that softened up Germany. Once Germany proper's borders were penetrated, the country lasted less than six months and I do think this was largely due to the US bombing campaign. Not sure how many German civilians were killed by the US versus the USSR but I do know almost certainly the margin has to be much much closer than it is in terms of enemy combatants killed or casualties.

I think the US in terms of blood contributed very little sacrifice in Europe compared to the USSR but the factors above do close the gap somewhat. Not a lot, as you just can't match the USSR's casualty numbers.
Emperor of Wurttemburg 43 is offline  
Old January 12th, 2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Lecturer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Indiana, USA
Posts: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetron the great View Post
What would it be like if they never entered
Not very good.

Quote:
I assume most People know 80% of Germans died on the eastern front
Why would you say this unless you thought that many didn't know?

Quote:
but how much did the US Contribute to the European war ?
Well, quite a bit, actually.

Quote:
-10% of the of the Soviet Unions War effort was from the US during the LL act and around the same for the British.
How is that calculated, exactly?

Quote:
-US Air raids contributed at Day while the British were at night so they constantly would have pressure on the Germans
True. But there's a bit more to it than that.

Quote:
-Would Operation Torch or the Italian Campaign have been possible let alone Operation Overlord ?
Torch, maybe. Italy? Not without the Americans and Poles, et. al.

But when we think of the Brits at this time it means Brits and Aussies and Canadians and Indians and etc, etc.

Quote:
And last if the Japan never attack Pearl Harbor
Then history would be quite different.

Quote:
and instead invaded Siberia and there was never Normandy invasions to liberate western Europe either the Soviets would have lost or dominated and occupied all of continental Europe, Manchuria and taken over Japan
Yeah, if history didn't happen the way it did, things might be different.
Apicius is offline  
Old January 12th, 2018, 04:43 PM   #7

Willempie's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2015
From: Netherlands
Posts: 3,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperoroftheBavarians43 View Post
I think the US in terms of blood contributed very little sacrifice in Europe compared to the USSR but the factors above do close the gap somewhat. Not a lot, as you just can't match the USSR's casualty numbers.
With the rest I kind of agree, but not with this. The only reason the USSR lost so many people is because Stalin aided and abetted at the start, then made a showcase of military weakness in Finland and to top it of didn't prepare for an invasion properly.

On the other hand the US from the start took a Europe first approach, made very clear that unconditional surrender was the only aim, thereby drastically increasing their losses. They also just could have bolstered the uk, leave Stalin without support,do some minor things around Europe and purely focus on the Japanese. That way the result would have been entirely different, but for the US it wouldnt have made a big difference from a 1942 perspective.
Willempie is offline  
Old January 12th, 2018, 05:31 PM   #8

Lord Fairfax's Avatar
Tickling the Dragons tail
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Rupert's Land ;)
Posts: 2,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetron the great View Post
I assume most People know 80% of Germans died on the eastern front
You'd assume wrong because it isn't true, and counting German deaths only (and ignoring PoWs and missing ) provides a very misleading picture.
Lord Fairfax is offline  
Old January 12th, 2018, 05:45 PM   #9

Lord Fairfax's Avatar
Tickling the Dragons tail
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Rupert's Land ;)
Posts: 2,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apicius View Post

Torch, maybe. Italy? Not without the Americans and Poles, et. al.

But when we think of the Brits at this time it means Brits and Aussies and Canadians and Indians and etc, etc.
If you subtract 5 US divisions from Avalance, (Invasion of mainland Italy) there are enough Commonwealth divisions to make up the difference.
So it's possible, but obviously more difficult without US participation.
Lord Fairfax is offline  
Old January 12th, 2018, 05:55 PM   #10

Lord Fairfax's Avatar
Tickling the Dragons tail
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Rupert's Land ;)
Posts: 2,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vagamundo View Post
WWII in Europe was won in Russia and Detroit, with a large assist from the UK
Or, WWII was won in Leningrad and Liverpool, with a big assist from the US

Last edited by Lord Fairfax; January 12th, 2018 at 05:59 PM.
Lord Fairfax is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
contribute, europe, states, united, ww2



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What if the United States wasn't United? gschroeder01 Speculative History 0 March 24th, 2017 08:49 AM
Why is Europe secularized more then the United States? jeroenrottgering Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 42 January 27th, 2012 03:16 AM
Would Europe ever stage a rescue invasion of the United States? HistoryFreak1912 Speculative History 68 May 10th, 2011 06:18 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.