Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2018, 06:24 PM   #1

jameen's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Manila
Posts: 86
Philippine-American war of 1899


If General Antonio Luna of the Philippines lived longer


do you believe that a lot of American troops will die in the Philippines to the point that the US government will withdraw its troops there and ask for a peace treaty?
jameen is offline  
Remove Ads
Old July 4th, 2018, 01:55 AM   #2

johnincornwall's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Cornwall
Posts: 6,618

I think you'll find this is known as the 'Spanish-America War'
johnincornwall is offline  
Old July 4th, 2018, 02:28 AM   #3
Academician
 
Joined: Jun 2018
From: Next door to you
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameen View Post
If General Antonio Luna of the Philippines lived longer


do you believe that a lot of American troops will die in the Philippines to the point that the US government will withdraw its troops there and ask for a peace treaty?
No, the Americans were just too superior in many ways. Did you see that movie, Heneral Luna I think it was called, even back then Filipinos were a mess.

Hey, I've got a question, are Filipinos still angry about that?
kundaliniexpress is offline  
Old July 4th, 2018, 03:46 AM   #4
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,165

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnincornwall View Post
I think you'll find this is known as the 'Spanish-America War'
It was a separate war. Some of the people the US was fighting were allies in the Spanish-American War. The US Government calls it the Philippine Insurrection.

As the previous poster indicates, it wasn't really close. As was often the case at that time with colonial powers, the US had huge advantages in technology and organization.

Incidently, the US forces were led by Arthur Macarthur, the father of the connected general who was defeated by the Japanese and insisted on returning.
betgo is online now  
Old July 5th, 2018, 01:23 AM   #5

johnincornwall's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Cornwall
Posts: 6,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by betgo View Post
It was a separate war. Some of the people the US was fighting were allies in the Spanish-American War. The US Government calls it the Philippine Insurrection.

As the previous poster indicates, it wasn't really close. As was often the case at that time with colonial powers, the US had huge advantages in technology and organization.

Incidently, the US forces were led by Arthur Macarthur, the father of the connected general who was defeated by the Japanese and insisted on returning.
Ah I see, it's all coming back now.
johnincornwall is offline  
Old July 5th, 2018, 04:48 AM   #6
Citizen
 
Joined: Jul 2018
From: Hong Kong
Posts: 36

Antonio Luna was not just a brilliant military commander, but also an outstanding strategic planner and a talented organizer who knew very well how to prepare the war. He mastered in both aspects of guerilla war and field fortification, an invaluable general.

His death was definitely a fatal blow to the Filipinos ; but I don't think the American army could be stopped and ultimately abandoned its imperialistic ambition to conquer the Phillippines even he hadn't been murdered on that fateful day and continued his command over the troops.

The impotence of the Phillppine Army was pretty obvious : lack of firepower, disorganized, scant of capable officers. All these fatal weaknesses sealed the inevitable defeat of the Phillppines.

If Aguinaldo listened to his advice for launching the pre-emptive attack upon the American, they might have chance to seize initiative by capturing the opponent unprepared. But the naive Aguinaldo trusted USA, squandering such a good opportunity that they could expel the American troops from Manila.

I'm going to obtain more detail of this war by reading Osprey material.
Tokugawa Ieyasu is offline  
Old July 5th, 2018, 11:56 PM   #7

jameen's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Manila
Posts: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kundaliniexpress View Post
No, the Americans were just too superior in many ways. Did you see that movie, Heneral Luna I think it was called, even back then Filipinos were a mess.

Hey, I've got a question, are Filipinos still angry about that?

not angry but disappointed because that is the only chance where my compatriots can fight brilliantly with well armed American troops under a well European educated general.


I wonder how will Americans stop building or destroy General Luna's mountain base if ever it materializes.
jameen is offline  
Old July 5th, 2018, 11:58 PM   #8

jameen's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Manila
Posts: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokugawa Ieyasu View Post
Antonio Luna was not just a brilliant military commander, but also an outstanding strategic planner and a talented organizer who knew very well how to prepare the war. He mastered in both aspects of guerilla war and field fortification, an invaluable general.

His death was definitely a fatal blow to the Filipinos ; but I don't think the American army could be stopped and ultimately abandoned its imperialistic ambition to conquer the Phillippines even he hadn't been murdered on that fateful day and continued his command over the troops.

The impotence of the Phillppine Army was pretty obvious : lack of firepower, disorganized, scant of capable officers. All these fatal weaknesses sealed the inevitable defeat of the Phillppines.

If Aguinaldo listened to his advice for launching the pre-emptive attack upon the American, they might have chance to seize initiative by capturing the opponent unprepared. But the naive Aguinaldo trusted USA, squandering such a good opportunity that they could expel the American troops from Manila.

I'm going to obtain more detail of this war by reading Osprey material.

but remember Filipino rebel forces already beat Spanish troops the reason it managed to encircle the Walled City of Intramuros in Manila despite lacking firepower and fought mostly with machete and spears.
jameen is offline  
Old July 6th, 2018, 12:36 AM   #9
Academician
 
Joined: Jun 2018
From: Next door to you
Posts: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameen View Post
not angry but disappointed because that is the only chance where my compatriots can fight brilliantly with well armed American troops under a well European educated general.


I wonder how will Americans stop building or destroy General Luna's mountain base if ever it materializes.
Also another problem, too many malcontent. Filipinos back then were simply not organized and many Filipinos switched sides. The Americans used that, so even if Luna lived, he would have lost many of his men to desertion.

And even if the Filipinos had succeeded in driving the Americans out, remember that this was the time of colonization, many other countries would probably claim the Philippines and since the Filipino army would have been weakened already, it would probably be defeated.

I think there was one general who didn't surrender until he absolutely had to, I forgot his name but even he did so little damage to the Americans.

Got a question, let's say the Philippines was either never colonized by the Americans or were let go after the Spanish defeat, would the Philippines be rich or at least be better today?
kundaliniexpress is offline  
Old July 6th, 2018, 12:52 AM   #10

jameen's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Manila
Posts: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kundaliniexpress View Post

Got a question, let's say the Philippines was either never colonized by the Americans or were let go after the Spanish defeat, would the Philippines be rich or at least be better today?

Well if the Americans withdrew from the Philippines after the war; I foresee that Muslim Mindanao will never be part of present Philippine Republic.


Muslim Mindanao will become another nation.



I foresee that Philippines will not be well managed because most of Filipinos are not that educated.


I foresee a lot of smart shaming and infighting among government officials.



it was the Americans who mass educated the Filipino population after they successfully had conquered the Philippines.


thank to the Americans. because of them Muslim Mindanao is part of present Filipino Republic because they were the only ones who reunified the whole island nation which the Spaniards had failed to do so.

Last edited by jameen; July 6th, 2018 at 01:01 AM.
jameen is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
1899, philippineamerican, war



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Philippine-American War, 18991902 dick everard Asian History 8 June 22nd, 2016 05:29 AM
Some old photos of Algiers in 1899 (Installment #2) Futurist Middle Eastern and African History 11 October 31st, 2015 12:01 PM
Brutality of the Philippine-American War Salah American History 37 May 5th, 2012 05:13 PM
Hero's of the old west 1800-1899 Centrix Vigilis American History 214 July 10th, 2011 12:17 PM
Looking for a good website on philippine American war Americanfighter War and Military History 8 April 14th, 2011 03:56 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.