Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #361

diddyriddick's Avatar
Forum Curmudgeon
 
Joined: May 2009
From: A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
Posts: 14,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
See, that wasn't so hard. Next up, did Lee sneak off, against Davis' order, to surrender?
Nope.
diddyriddick is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #362

Fiver's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
See, that wasn't so hard. Next up, did Lee sneak off, against Davis' order, to surrender?
Already answered that. No.

If Davis had the opportunity, he would have ordered Lee not to surrender. Davis certainly ordered other generals not to surrender and they did - not because they were cowards, but because not surrendering would gain them nothing but more men pointlessly dead. A more reasonable criticism of Lee is that he should have surrendered sooner, but it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight.
Fiver is offline  
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #363

monsieurdl's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: United States
Posts: 1,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by betgo View Post
Some of you guys really want to fight the Civil War again. Maybe you could put on blue and grey uniforms and shoot at each other.
I claim Maine, Massachusetts and New York infantry and artillery, Edwin Voss Sumner, Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, and William T. Sherman!!

monsieurdl is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #364

Yankee's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
Already answered that. No.

If Davis had the opportunity, he would have ordered Lee not to surrender. Davis certainly ordered other generals not to surrender and they did - not because they were cowards, but because not surrendering would gain them nothing but more men pointlessly dead. A more reasonable criticism of Lee is that he should have surrendered sooner, but it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight.
Thanks for answering. Sorry I didn't see the first one. It's easy to miss the germane posts because I spend so much time defending myself. But I am no longer interested in getting the answers. When other people see those posts about Lee and any misinformation that may go with it, they won't be able to google it and find answers here. Nor will I lift a finger to stop people from accepting them as fact. Clearly everyone wants Lee accepted as a stainless hero and so they will have to accept the equally untrue opposite myths.
I deeply apologize for coming to a history forum to get help.
Yankee is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #365

Clemmie's Avatar
Ye olde librarian
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Florida
Posts: 3,485

It would help if you were less confrontational. The easiest way to solicite help would have been to state in the beginning that you read these statements on the internet and wondered if there was anything to these accusations against Lee. Instead you came here insisting that Lee was not the person we thought he was and started from a confrontational stance. That is not the way to solicite help and it is why some members consider you a troll.
Clemmie is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #366

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

To make things worse, Fiver graciously took the time to answer her questions a day or two ago, and she blames US for her not reading it!
Rongo is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #367
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Alabama
Posts: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddyriddick View Post
Mod edit: Red herring and questionable history aside, this is NOT about Abraham Lincoln. I have asked you twice to limit your posting to the OP and you have twice ignored me. This is the third time. Please don't make me ask again.

If you feel compelled to discuss that topic feel free to start another thread.
Learn to take a joke. It wasn't a red herring it was a good point. Making up meaningless lies and then asking proof is what is going on on this thread.

Last edited by Unrevised; November 16th, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Unrevised is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #368
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Alabama
Posts: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurdl View Post
I claim Maine, Massachusetts and New York infantry and artillery, Edwin Voss Sumner, Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, and William T. Sherman!!

Watch out! You're off topic !
Unrevised is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #369
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Alabama
Posts: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
Thanks for answering. Sorry I didn't see the first one. It's easy to miss the germane posts because I spend so much time defending myself. But I am no longer interested in getting the answers. When other people see those posts about Lee and any misinformation that may go with it, they won't be able to google it and find answers here. Nor will I lift a finger to stop people from accepting them as fact. Clearly everyone wants Lee accepted as a stainless hero and so they will have to accept the equally untrue opposite myths.
I deeply apologize for coming to a history forum to get help.
Apology accepted, now go read some books, journal articles, and primary sources and then come back when you are ready to discuss history instead of fantasyland.

Last edited by Unrevised; November 16th, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Unrevised is offline  
Old November 16th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #370

monsieurdl's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: United States
Posts: 1,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrevised View Post
Watch out! You're off topic !
Always trying to lighten the mood... ahh well
monsieurdl is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
lee, robert


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Robert E. Lee WHAT IF mister Speculative History 8 May 10th, 2009 05:17 AM
Robert E. Lee kahn American History 33 March 20th, 2009 07:40 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.