Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #461

diddyriddick's Avatar
Forum Curmudgeon
 
Joined: May 2009
From: A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
Posts: 13,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Nary View Post
"General James Longstreet: the South's Most Controversial Soldier"?
That's the one. Wert's analysis and research are excellent. Among other things, he dispels the Longstreet-was-late at Gettysburg myth. What I found particularly troubling about Longstreet after reading Wert's book was that he accepted a commission/salary from both the USA and CSA simultaneously.

General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier: Jeffry D. Wert: 9780671892876: Amazon.com: Books
General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier: Jeffry D. Wert: 9780671892876: Amazon.com: Books

diddyriddick is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 17th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #462

Yankee's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddyriddick View Post
Nice post.
Exactly. I know he was a brave soldier in Mexico(so was Grant)I'm sure he was more than competent as a general, but I think most of his praise is undeserved. Ken Burn's "Civil War" doc stated that his soldiers called him "Granny Lee" and "The Failure" at the start. Not mentioned in the doc are "Evacuating Lee" and "King of Spades." He was smart but he also had exceptional soldiers, good fortune of bad opposing generals, and "home state advantage." Did he win any battles outside VA?
Yankee is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #463

Yankee's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddyriddick View Post
What I found particularly troubling about Longstreet after reading Wert's book was that he accepted a commission/salary from both the USA and CSA simultaneously.
That's a bit of a downer. I was placing too much stock in the Gettysburg claim. I mostly liked him because I thought he was s stand up guy. But that theory is now blown to bits. Still though, he converted to Catholicism so one can hope he so the error of collecting those two checks. I was young once, moons ago, and did many stupid things.

*don't anyone tell me anything bad about Buckner or Johnston

Last edited by Yankee; November 17th, 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Yankee is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #464

Hopeforus's Avatar
Archivist
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: Where I retired.
Posts: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
Exactly. I know he was a brave soldier in Mexico(so was Grant)I'm sure he was more than competent as a general, but I think most of his praise is undeserved. Ken Burn's "Civil War" doc stated that his soldiers called him "Granny Lee" and "The Failure" at the start. Not mentioned in the doc are "Evacuating Lee" and "King of Spades." He was smart but he also had exceptional soldiers, good fortune of bad opposing generals, and "home state advantage." Did he win any battles outside VA?
General Early did.
Hopeforus is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #465

Yankee's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeforus View Post
General Early did.
If you're trying to say Early was better than Lee, you'll receive no argument from me.
Yankee is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #466

diddyriddick's Avatar
Forum Curmudgeon
 
Joined: May 2009
From: A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
Posts: 13,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
If you're trying to say Early was better than Lee, you'll receive no argument from me.
Even Lee's biggest detractors would have a hard time with that.
diddyriddick is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #467

Yankee's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddyriddick View Post
Even Lee's biggest detractors would have a hard time with that.
I'm not so much of a Lee detractor as I am a Lee realist
I was kind of only saying that bit tongue in cheek because it's known that I don't really care for him.
Yankee is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #468

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

[Moderator Edit: the quoted post being responded to has been removed.]



I'm sure someone just did.

Last edited by avon; November 17th, 2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: to remove material posted by a banned user.
Rongo is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #469

Yankee's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
I'm sure someone just did.
ah another morsel. I hope the gentleman will elaborate.
Yankee is offline  
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #470
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: USA
Posts: 4,015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
ah another morsel. I hope the gentleman will elaborate.
That one is easy to understand. Whatever faults Lee had, you will bring them to everyone's attention. You will focus on those faults.
Virgil is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
lee, robert


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Robert E. Lee WHAT IF mister Speculative History 8 May 10th, 2009 05:17 AM
Robert E. Lee kahn American History 33 March 20th, 2009 07:40 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.