Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 790
Should Jackson be on the 20 dollar bill?


Andrew Jackson, the man who was for the common man, opposed the coruption of the national bank of America, became the only President to pay the national debt, was named the hero of New Orleans,and was the only President to have an era named after him. He was also a man who ran off with another man's wife and married her before her ex-husband divorced her. He killed a man in a duel because that man called his wife Rachel an adultress. Let's not forget the "Indian Removal Act" which led to the deaths of thousands of native americans. Did I mention that he adopted a baby indian boy right after he killed his parents? Some native americans today look at him the way the rest of us look at Hitler and they won't even use 20 dollar bills, they deliberatly ask for tens. So what do you think?
Pfaxt3ld is offline  
Remove Ads
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Archivist
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Ohio
Posts: 121
Re: Should Jackson be on the 20 dollar bill?


Looking at it, none of the men on our currency should be pictured because each one has something bad connected to them. Looking at the positives at what he did then one could say that he should be on the $20, but when looking at the negatives then one could say that he shouldn't be on $20.

After careful consideration I would say no because of the treatment of Native American. Yeah, he did some good things in his presidency but there are others that would be more appropriate.

BTW...I would love to know why the Dept. of Treasury removed Grover Cleveland from the $20 bill and put Jackson there instead.
wildcat is offline  
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM   #3

Sharks and love's Avatar
Knows he knows not
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Sharkland
Posts: 5,388
Re: Should Jackson be on the 20 dollar bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Looking at it, none of the men on our currency should be pictured because each one has something bad connected to them. Looking at the positives at what he did then one could say that he should be on the $20, but when looking at the negatives then one could say that he shouldn't be on $20.

After careful consideration I would say no because of the treatment of Native American. Yeah, he did some good things in his presidency but there are others that would be more appropriate.

BTW...I would love to know why the Dept. of Treasury removed Grover Cleveland from the $20 bill and put Jackson there instead.
I agree completely with your sentiments.

As for the bolded portion, perhaps it was in spite? I find it poetic irony that Jackson, one of the most rabid opponents of paper money, is on our paper money.
Sharks and love is offline  
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM   #4

Pedro's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Posts: 12,561
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Should Jackson be on the 20 dollar bill?


It is a disgrace. A national disgrace. Send all your twenties to me and I will have them burned.



would love to have money to burn!
Pedro is offline  
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #5
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jul 2006
From: UK
Posts: 6,110
Re: Should Jackson be on the 20 dollar bill?


No. They should replace him with a president like FDR or Reagan.
Nick is offline  
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #6
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: NE PA
Posts: 1,207
Re: Should Jackson be on the 20 dollar bill?


Thinking about the thread from Toltec about heroes, and then reading this thread, Washington, Jackson, and Grant are probably remembered at least as much (or more) as soldiers than presidents. Just an observation.
mlipo is offline  
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #7
Archivist
 
Joined: Aug 2008
From: Ohio
Posts: 121
Re: Should Jackson be on the 20 dollar bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
It is a disgrace. A national disgrace. Send all your twenties to me and I will have them burned.

would love to have money to burn!
Sorry, I can't help you there. A large bill does not stay in my hands longer than five minutes. LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlipo View Post
Thinking about the thread from Toltec about heroes, and then reading this thread, Washington, Jackson, and Grant are probably remembered at least as much (or more) as soldiers than presidents. Just an observation.
I agree with you there. But, I think Jackson, Grant, and Hamilton are probably the least identifiable with a lot of people. I don't think a lot of people actually know why they are so famous, especially Hamilton.
wildcat is offline  
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #8

Sharks and love's Avatar
Knows he knows not
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Sharkland
Posts: 5,388
Re: Should Jackson be on the 20 dollar bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
No. They should replace him with a president like FDR or Reagan.
Can you imagine the uproar that would occur if Reagan were to be put on the 20?

How about Teddy Roosevelt. He's consistently voted as one of the best presidents.
Sharks and love is offline  
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: NE PA
Posts: 1,207
Re: Should Jackson be on the 20 dollar bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks and love View Post
Can you imagine the uproar that would occur if Reagan were to be put on the 20?

How about Teddy Roosevelt. He's consistently voted as one of the best presidents.
TR already has a bear named after him, and they are far more popular than Lincoln logs or Franklin stoves. Therefore, he doesn't need his face on money.
mlipo is offline  
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 790
Re: Should Jackson be on the 20 dollar bill?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
No. They should replace him with a president like FDR or Reagan.
If it were up to me I'd put FDR on the twenty dollar bill.
Pfaxt3ld is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
dollar, jackson


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stonewall Jackson survives gun shot Commander American History 49 July 4th, 2013 04:07 PM
Bill of Rights Commander American History 8 March 24th, 2009 04:34 PM
Why is there a pyramid with an all-seeing eye on the back of the dollar bill? WWu777 Speculative History 23 May 28th, 2008 06:46 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.