Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1

SirOrmondeWinter's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,940
US Presidential assassinations (conspiracy theory FREE zone)


4 US presidents have been assassinated, JFK, McKinley, Garfield and Lincoln, all by lone gunmen although Lincolnís death was the result of a wider conspiracy and all at close range except for JFK who was killed by a sniper. Ronald Regan was also shot at close range by a lone gunman but survived with serious attempts made against Nixon, Truman and Gerald Ford and not so serious attempts made against Bill Clinton.
Which had the most impact? Probably Lincoln, the fate of the South would have been very different had he lived and reconstruction and Afro-Americanís fate would have been better. Arguably none of their assassins ever achieved what they aimed to do although I guess now Jodie Foster knows who Mark Chapman is.
So my question is, what is the legacy of the various assassinations of presidents throughout American history?
SirOrmondeWinter is offline  
Remove Ads
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

I agree that Lincoln's assassination was the most influential on U.S. history. Certainly if he had survived, Reconstruction would have been handled differently. It would still have been a difficult period in American history, and far from perfect, but I have to believe it would have been considerably better.

I think McKinley's assassination was probably the second most important because it put Teddy Roosevelt in the White House. I think it's very unlikely he would have made it there on his own, considering how much the leadership of the Republican Party despised him. But he had a very important place in American history in many different ways.
Rongo is offline  
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #3

Bluehawk's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Ozarks
Posts: 1,479

Good topic...

Maybe because it became personal to me, the JFK assassination pretty much changed my life as a late teen that day.

For the first time I became aware of evil tragedy. At the time I knew nothing of his real life or even his politics for that matter. Along with many others I had gotten pretty excited that a young Navy veteran with little kids and a great wife won the White House.

It all seemed like such a tremendously hopeful moment in history to be part of. And then, it was all gone.

As to the net effect, one wonders how Vietnam would have been handled, if at all. His presence could have changed a whole lot of history, in a big way.
Bluehawk is offline  
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #4

tjadams's Avatar
Epicurean
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Texas
Posts: 25,369
Blog Entries: 6

I agree that Lincoln and McKinley's sudden death changed history the most.
tjadams is offline  
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Jedi Knight
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Indiana
Posts: 4,959

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOrmondeWinter View Post
Ronald Regan was also shot at close range by a lone gunman but survived with serious attempts made against Nixon, Truman and Gerald Ford and not so serious attempts made against Bill Clinton.
There were also attempts on Andrew Jackson and William Howard Taft.
Mike McClure is offline  
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6

flaxman's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: England
Posts: 804

I remember the effects that the JFK assassination had on us over here in the UK. I thought that a feeling of despair had settled on American politics. The three great killings; JFK, Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy seemed to suck all the optimism from people, innocence lost maybe?
flaxman is offline  
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #7

botully's Avatar
With the Ball People
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Amelia, Virginia, USA
Posts: 3,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOrmondeWinter View Post

Arguably none of their assassins ever achieved what they aimed to do although I guess now Jodie Foster knows who Mark Chapman is.
Ms. Foster probably does know who Mark Chapman is, since he is the nut who shot John Lennon. John Hinckley is the nut who shot Reagan.
botully is online now  
Old October 11th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #8

SirOrmondeWinter's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawk View Post
Good topic...

Maybe because it became personal to me, the JFK assassination pretty much changed my life as a late teen that day.

For the first time I became aware of evil tragedy. At the time I knew nothing of his real life or even his politics for that matter. Along with many others I had gotten pretty excited that a young Navy veteran with little kids and a great wife won the White House.

It all seemed like such a tremendously hopeful moment in history to be part of. And then, it was all gone.

As to the net effect, one wonders how Vietnam would have been handled, if at all. His presence could have changed a whole lot of history, in a big way.
I'm not one who believes Kennedy's policy to Vietnam would have been any different to LBJ, especially as they had the same set of advisors. I think the Camelot myth of JFK was an illusion, he wouldn't have got away with it in todays world with our press and may not have got away with it much longer back then. They say the Cuban missile crisis never fazed Kennedy but the Purfumo affair did, that the privacy he (and many other public figures) had enjoyed was coming to an end.
SirOrmondeWinter is offline  
Old October 11th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #9

SirOrmondeWinter's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McClure View Post
There were also attempts on Andrew Jackson and William Howard Taft.
Really, what were they?
SirOrmondeWinter is offline  
Old October 11th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #10

SirOrmondeWinter's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,940

Quote:
Originally Posted by botully View Post
Ms. Foster probably does know who Mark Chapman is, since he is the nut who shot John Lennon. John Hinckley is the nut who shot Reagan.
Yes you're quite right, I meant John Hinckley At least I didn't say that James Earl Jones shot Martin Luther King
SirOrmondeWinter is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
assassinations, conspiracy, free, presidential, theory, zone


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Presidential Assassinations tjadams American History 23 September 5th, 2011 04:51 PM
Pearl Harbor Conspiracy Theory ProfessorHistorum Speculative History 13 December 5th, 2010 05:52 PM
Presidential Assassinations old_abe General History 5 August 3rd, 2006 11:42 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.