Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #141
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Hint: if there is any "blame game", it is in the OP.

The bizarre pretension to blame the Amerindians for defending themselves from any alien invaders & conquerors couldn't be any more evident.


I understand that let say the brave Polish people defending themselves from both powerful imperialistic neighbors along the 20th century were not "angels" either.

Ostensibly they were just Homo sapiens sapiens.
sylla1 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #142

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
The "another" is of course mine and certainly includes no "blame".

Please just read again with the minimal care.

The other quote just stated the easily verifiable hard historical fact that the Europeans and European-ancestry Americans were usually the attackers.

After all, the Amerindians were already there, in their land; it was the European side who came and invaded.

It would be absurd to the Nth degre to pretend to deny such evident fact of the size of the Universe.

So not a single "blame" so far...

Any other non-fallacious candidate for any bona fide blame quotation?
OK, Sylla. You just keep blaming, and we'll pretend you're not.
Rongo is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #143
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
OK, Sylla. You just keep blaming, and we'll pretend you're not.
Nope; you keep pretending everyone is "blaming" you (without any single piece of evidence, of course) when it is simply you "defending" of no one's attack, i.e. answering the question that nobody asked.

There must be a reason behind such spontaneous unrequired apology, right ?
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #144

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Nope; you keep pretending everyone is "blaming" you (without any single piece of evidence, of course) when it is simply you "defending" of no one's attack, i.e. answering the question that nobody asked.

There must be a reason behind such spontaneous behavior, right ?
I'm willing to let the record speak for itself.
Rongo is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #145
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
I'm willing to let the record speak for itself.
Do you mean "most people"?

All the evidence you are entirely unable to find on any "blame"?

Yup, you're entirely right; it couldn't speak any more eloquently for itself.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #146
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Back to the OP; 100% right, the Amerindians were no angels.

Apparently angels are the only population who may expect any free pass for not being conquered, plundered & decimated.
sylla1 is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #147

Hresvelgr's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
The "another" is of course mine and certainly includes no "blame".

Please just read again with the minimal care.

The other quote just stated the easily verifiable hard historical fact that the Europeans and European-ancestry Americans were usually the attackers.

After all, the Amerindians were already there, in their land; it was the European side who came and invaded.

It would be absurd to the Nth degre to pretend to deny such evident fact of the size of the Universe.

So not a single "blame" so far...

Any other non-fallacious candidate for any bona fide blame quotation?
Yes, thank you. My post was just a response to the assertion that all the European settlers coming over wanted nothing more than farmland and to live in peace. Not a part of the blame game, just an observation that sheds doubt on a claim. And I should probably take a note from your page, as all your posts in this thread seem to be the most forward and clear way of showing why the line of thinking expressed by the OP and like-minded people is rather off, in comparison to my typical rambling style.
Hresvelgr is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #148

Hresvelgr's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,022
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
No, I did not. I said:



Now, please answer what I DID say, not what I DIDN'T say.
If you want to be strict about, then I will take issue with the half-truths. You said most tribes were just hunters. It's possible that most were simply hunter-gatherers, but the full truth is that most people in general in the US were not. It's possible there were lots of small bands unique enough to be called tribes that made a life roaming for animals and wild crops, along with the people of the Pacific Northwest who lived among such a bounty that farming was unnecessary. But the biggest tribes were such urban peoples as the Mississippians, whose varying tribes and sites covered much of the midwest, pretty much all of the southeast (stretching even into the supposed virgin Kentucky), and even into the northeast, where there were also peoples with large settlements that required much farmland. The Southwest also had many sedentary societies with farms, these peoples being quite famous, the Anasazi, Hopi, Zuni, etc. Therefore the assertion that most Indian tribes were merely hunters is, if one were to be generous, a falsehood of omission. And going to your point about Kentucky, it's telling that you should bring that state up specifically when it was an exception. True, there were no permanent settlements of tribes there in the 18th Century, over 300 years after contact and the spread of terrible diseases. And yet it was still used by many people. And in any case it was a lonely example of an unpopulated state even for the time period. Tennessee wasn't unpopulated, having bustling towns during de Soto's time. Same story with Arkansas. Nor was Ohio unpopulated, nor Illinois, nor Indiana, nor West Virginia. And you're certainly not going to tell me the coastal states were just virgin woodlands never seen by humans before, are you?
Hresvelgr is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #149

Mandate of Heaven's Avatar
Ate too much
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: Not sure what it is
Posts: 6,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by okamido View Post
They would have done the same to us if they could, but they couldn't.
I thought Thanksgivings came about because the NAs helped the dying colonists (so they wouldn't want to wipe the Whites out at the time). And I don't think NAs wanted to wipe the Whites out. Had the Whites went back to Europe, I doubt NAs would chase them back and wipe out Europe.
Mandate of Heaven is offline  
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #150

Mandate of Heaven's Avatar
Ate too much
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: Not sure what it is
Posts: 6,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Do you mean "most people"?

All the evidence you are entirely unable to find on any "blame"?

Yup, you're entirely right; it couldn't speak any more eloquently for itself.
Wow, for once, I agree with you sylla!
Mandate of Heaven is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
americans, angels, native


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legacy of Native Americans Rasta American History 70 July 23rd, 2014 02:50 PM
Metal and Native americans? sturm American History 48 July 20th, 2014 10:22 AM
Native Americans and the civil war Theguy8882 American History 0 August 4th, 2012 11:23 AM
Native Americans in the Civil War Salah American History 6 June 1st, 2012 05:16 PM
northeast native americans oshron American History 3 March 7th, 2010 06:40 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.