Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #11
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemotheelvenpanda View Post
Because the whites won and enslaved, killed-off, dislocated, and disfranchised entire groups of people, breaking promises and treaties along away, some with nations that were once the government's allies. Today, native americans are among the worst off in the USA in terms of health and poverty, with many of their traditional languages and customs slowly dying out.

Now, couldn't have been turned around? Certainly. However, the humanitarian violations that whites imposed on the natives is very concrete and still very unresolved.
are you saying the whites were 'more' evil than the NA? because the NA murdered and raped and TORTURED!! they just didn't have the technology to carry on total war
Mulligan is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 100
well


Quote:
Originally Posted by zincwarrior View Post
As a Dallas fan I concur that the Redskins are EVIIIIILLLLLLLL!
I always liked to watch the Skins play the old STL cards
Mulligan is offline  
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #13

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
the native Americans stole, murdered, and raped just like the whites...how come I only hear about how the whites were evil??
Neither side was "evil" and neither side were "angels". The Native Americans were indeed no better than the whites. But considering that they were pretty much decimated, it also seems some sympathy is warranted.
Rongo is offline  
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #14

unclefred's Avatar
The Snub Nosed Truth
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: Oregon coastal mountains
Posts: 6,316
Blog Entries: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorybound View Post
If you can't figure out what I'm trying to say then I don't think my explaining it further would help much.
Try something other than a strawman argument. It doesn't begin to address the OP's points.

I know you can do better than that.
unclefred is offline  
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #15

unclefred's Avatar
The Snub Nosed Truth
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: Oregon coastal mountains
Posts: 6,316
Blog Entries: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by okamido View Post
Because we basically commited genocide in the name of manifest destiny. That tends to leave a bad taste in people's mouths.
I can relate a little to what he is saying, although it's not expressed accurately. So often the media and even authors portray a false 'noble savage' ideal and lay out a false history. But as you said about genocide...

Demonizing the expansionists is inaccurate just as demonizing the Indians was.
It's really not an either or situation, this history.
unclefred is offline  
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #16

Tairusiano's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Brazil
Posts: 1,643
Blog Entries: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Amazing as it may sound, far as I can tell no human population has ever been Angels, either in a literal or a metaphorical way.

Guess that's an excellent rationale for universal conquest, huh?
this is a good rationale
you know they are not angels let conquest their lands



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
the NA made war on other NA, just as the whites and NA made war on each other....the whites won the war against the NA..what are you trying to say??
"Woe to the vanquished"

We are not angels you are right and for that motive we will must pay forever living in reserves, losing our culture?
I must remember you that we "NA" are still suffering from the colonial times we are not talking about a situation as long gone.
we are still stugling to live in some places. and is this fair?
dont forget we are not talking only about the past.


Angels not, but humans
and you think that any humans deserve that fate

a Maué(a tribe) chieftain spoke that"we not only lost the war we lost the fate and the smile of our childrens"
Tairusiano is offline  
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #17

glorybound's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: Indiana
Posts: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefred View Post
Try something other than a strawman argument. It doesn't begin to address the OP's points.

I know you can do better than that.
Sorry you're disappointed with my answer Fred, but I addressed the op the way I wanted to.
glorybound is offline  
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #18

ucanefan's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Asheville/Charlotte NC
Posts: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemotheelvenpanda View Post
Because the whites won and enslaved, killed-off, dislocated, and disfranchised entire groups of people, breaking promises and treaties along away, some with nations that were once the government's allies. Today, native americans are among the worst off in the USA in terms of health and poverty, with many of their traditional languages and customs slowly dying out.

Now, couldn't have been turned around? Certainly. However, the humanitarian violations that whites imposed on the natives is very concrete and still very unresolved.
/end thread
ucanefan is offline  
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #19

unclefred's Avatar
The Snub Nosed Truth
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: Oregon coastal mountains
Posts: 6,316
Blog Entries: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorybound View Post
Sorry you're disappointed with my answer Fred, but I addressed the op the way I wanted to.
No problem, I've seen you post some good stuff and the OP is a little awkward.
unclefred is offline  
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #20

Rasta's Avatar
Spiritual Ronin
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Minnesnowta
Posts: 21,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
the native Americans stole, murdered, and raped just like the whites...how come I only hear about how the whites were evil??
What do you mean by :"I only hear about"? Who do you talk to?
Rasta is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
americans, angels, native


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Native Americans in the Civil War Salah American History 11 September 25th, 2014 08:59 AM
Legacy of Native Americans Rasta American History 74 August 7th, 2014 10:57 AM
Metal and Native americans? sturm American History 48 July 20th, 2014 10:22 AM
Native Americans and the civil war Theguy8882 American History 0 August 4th, 2012 11:23 AM
northeast native americans oshron American History 3 March 7th, 2010 06:40 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.