Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #11

JTWuest's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Savannah, GA
Posts: 1,124

After Nixon, the American people wanted someone they could trust. Jimmy Carter was a preacher, and he could be trusted. However, Jimmy Carter was a preacher, and that meant he preached. Nobody wants to be preached to.
JTWuest is offline  
Remove Ads
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #12
Citizen
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: New Jersey
Posts: 31

Carter made a critical error in his "malaise" speech, which was the brain child of Pat Caddell. Leaders need to be upbeat even in the middle of a mess. Caddell and Carter went with candor and they paid dearly for it.

His presidency was also marred by fecklessness. He couldn't deal with the economy which was an unmitigated disaster and he projected possibly the weakest foreign policy our nation has ever seen.

Carter was a bright man and was certainly a decent human being, but he truly was the antithesis of what a US president should be.
Nox Aeris is offline  
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,940

Carter very much deserves his poor reputation as president, although he has been an excellent ex president

1. He ran up inflation to twice, three times what it had been under Ford,after criticizing Ford inflation. Ironically, Ford had brought inflation under control, but Carter undid the previous administrations work.

2. My uncle told me the CIA had been bribing ayatollah Khomeini to stay in Paris, but Carter thought such bribery was immoral and put a stop to it.. Net result was Khomeini went back to Iran and toppled the Shah. We know hown that went.

3. He allowed the US to be humuliated by Iran for a year with hostage crisis. The rescue attempt was so poorly executed it was an embarrassment, but he never held anyone accountable for the fiasco.

4. Carter did not know how to delegate effectively.

5. He shifted blame from himself to the American people, there being a "malaise" over the country. Fortunately, Americans were easily able solve the "malaise" over the country bymgetting rid of the root cause by electing Reagan instead.
Bart Dale is offline  
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #14

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 22,611
Blog Entries: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOrmondeWinter View Post
He's been in the news a lot more recently following the success of Argo. Over the years his administration has become a byword for malaise and indecision but is that fair?

By all accounts Carter was an very clever man, had a degree in nuclear engineering and would probably have been an admiral had he stayed in the navy. He helps create the Camp David agreement and the SALT talks. Face to face he's apparently hugely likeable. Great book called 'Inside Delta Force' where the author speaks about Carter coming to welcome the troops back after their failure and winning them over in 5 minutes.

On the bad points his image was terrible, as an actor Regan understood so much better how to project confidence and reassure people. In many ways Carter was hugely unluckly to face a recession he didn't create and the Iranian hostage crisis AND invasion of Afghanistan
To make a hero you need the right attitude, but also favorable circumstances. If during the reign of king Leonidas Persians didn't attack, that Spartan king would have never fought that legendary battle ... may be others, but not that one.

So imagine if no Iranian crisis happened ... how would have we rated Carter?

This said, the American system has got an internal evaluation system: electorate. The electorate didn't allow Carter to spend a second mandate at the White House.

So Americans said that Carter wasn't that great President [and note that a good part of the last Presidents have been elected also for a second mandate, just Carter and Bush father hadn't ...].

Is Carter underestimated? I'm not that sure. A President has to be able to do the President, not the admiral or the nuclear engineer or the archaeologist. So it's when a President is in the office that Americans first and then all the other observers can evaluate him [her].

But at the end, the context, the circumstances, have put Carter in a worse situation than what he expected to deal with. We cannot have a counter prove: we cannot move Reagan back into time to substitute Carter to see what Ronald would have done ...
AlpinLuke is offline  
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #15

Panthera tigris altaica's Avatar
Funyuns
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: Texas
Posts: 7,045
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox Aeris View Post
Carter made a critical error in his "malaise" speech, which was the brain child of Pat Caddell. Leaders need to be upbeat even in the middle of a mess. Caddell and Carter went with candor and they paid dearly for it.
Carterism of "We Can't" instead of the Reganism "We Will", pretty much sums up the Carter years and why he lost the 1980 election.
Panthera tigris altaica is offline  
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #16

SirOrmondeWinter's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Dale View Post
Carter very much deserves his poor reputation as president, although he has been an excellent ex president

1. He ran up inflation to twice, three times what it had been under Ford,after criticizing Ford inflation. Ironically, Ford had brought inflation under control, but Carter undid the previous administrations work.

2. My uncle told me the CIA had been bribing ayatollah Khomeini to stay in Paris, but Carter thought such bribery was immoral and put a stop to it.. Net result was Khomeini went back to Iran and toppled the Shah. We know hown that went.

3. He allowed the US to be humuliated by Iran for a year with hostage crisis. The rescue attempt was so poorly executed it was an embarrassment, but he never held anyone accountable for the fiasco.

4. Carter did not know how to delegate effectively.

5. He shifted blame from himself to the American people, there being a "malaise" over the country. Fortunately, Americans were easily able solve the "malaise" over the country bymgetting rid of the root cause by electing Reagan instead.
You can't blame Jimmy Carter for a dust storm which disables the rescue force's helicopters, no ones to blame for the weather. Eagle Claw was a good plan, it was complex but it was a tough nut to crack, over 50 hostages held in the middle of a hostile city hundreds of miles away from any friendly base, this wasn't the SAS assaulting the Iranian embassy bang in the centre of London. Read 'Inside Delta Force', it's very good on the subject.
But you're right that Carter didn't seem to understand the need for projecting strength and indulging in dirty tricks to get the job done in foreign policy (something no one could accuse Nixon of). He proposed withdrawing US troops from Korea which would have been an utter disaster and left George H Bush a hell of a mess to resolve in Panama. He was a Jimmy Stewart figure lost in a world which demanded John Wayne/James Bond
SirOrmondeWinter is offline  
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #17

Wenge's Avatar
American
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Virginia
Posts: 10,428

I voted for the man twice so that probably tells you what I think of him.
Wenge is offline  
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #18

Patito de Hule's Avatar
Quack
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 3,333
Blog Entries: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenge View Post
I voted for the man twice so that probably tells you what I think of him.
I voted for him twice also, but I told you what I thought of him in post #9. Still, I would have preferred him over Reagan any day of the decade.
Patito de Hule is offline  
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #19

redcoat's Avatar
Hiding behind the sofa
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Stockport Cheshire UK
Posts: 7,184

He is a good decent man, but in some respects this made him unsuitable to make some of the hard nosed decisions a president needs to make.
redcoat is offline  
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #20

annelouise17's Avatar
Colonial Savage
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: Amerikay
Posts: 5,427
Blog Entries: 2

I voted for him once, the second time around. He did make a better ex President.
annelouise17 is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
carter, jimmy, maligned, unfairly



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Was Outer Manchuria unfairly taken away from the Chinese??? C0nquer0r Asian History 121 June 22nd, 2014 04:05 PM
Jimmy Logue and my first Wikipedia page History Chick American History 7 December 27th, 2012 11:49 AM
Who are the people in this photo with Jimmy & Ros Carter? handslikesecrets American History 3 December 28th, 2011 11:39 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.