Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > American History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

American History American History Forum - United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:42 AM   #41

JTWuest's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Savannah, GA
Posts: 846

It was fashionable in Europe in the 16-18th centuries for well to do nobles to keep a hermit on their property, providing food and a "hermitage" in exchange for them living there, not cutting their hair, and keeping quiet.

Discovering the hermit in the garden | OUPblog

Last edited by JTWuest; July 2nd, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
JTWuest is offline  
Remove Ads
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:48 AM   #42
Citizen
 
Joined: Jun 2013
From: Alabama
Posts: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
Well, I have to say I'm seeing an agenda here. In the second post of this thread, primary source evidence was posted saying that Jackson did NOT take a child against his family's will, and that he did NOT take him because he "seemed cute and somewhat of a novelty". And yet you have completely ignored that evidence TWICE now: first when you posted an unsupported opinion of an anonymous author in post #12, and again here.

It's looking to me like you WANT to believe that Jackson adopted his Indian son as a "pet", and that you're going to believe that regardless of what evidence is posted to the contrary.

Good lord.

The only agenda here is me asking a question about whether this practice happened. I don't know.

I am also not sure of what Andrew Jackson's motives were when he "acquired" the child. I've read excerpts from his letter home regarding it and it makes me wonder.

I do not know. I am not trying to convince anyone that mean ole white folks stole indian kids. I just wondered if anyone here has ever heard of it.
leafman60 is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:24 PM   #43
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,434

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Good lord.

The only agenda here is me asking a question about whether this practice happened. I don't know.

I am also not sure of what Andrew Jackson's motives were when he "acquired" the child. I've read excerpts from his letter home regarding it and it makes me wonder.

I do not know. I am not trying to convince anyone that mean ole white folks stole indian kids. I just wondered if anyone here has ever heard of it.
When the only source is you, the onus is on you to provide evidence, not the other way around. You don't get to make an outlandish claim with no sources and then make everyone else disprove you, that's not how it works.
Tripwire is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:49 AM   #44
Citizen
 
Joined: Jun 2013
From: Alabama
Posts: 24

Sheeze, do we all speak English?

I make no claim whatsoever. I'm just asking a question.

LMAO
leafman60 is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:30 AM   #45

unclefred's Avatar
The Snub Nosed Truth
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: Oregon coastal mountains
Posts: 6,366
Blog Entries: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWuest View Post
It was fashionable in Europe in the 16-18th centuries for well to do nobles to keep a hermit on their property, providing food and a "hermitage" in exchange for them living there, not cutting their hair, and keeping quiet.

Discovering the hermit in the garden | OUPblog
I used to have one living in the county property next to mine. He lived there for years in a modified tent dwelling. Most of us living out here would put our bottles and cans alongside the road where he would gather them on his daily bike ride. Sometimes he would stop in and chat. An interesting and eccentric guy.
unclefred is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:34 AM   #46

JTWuest's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Savannah, GA
Posts: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefred View Post
I used to have one living in the county property next to mine. He lived there for years in a modified tent dwelling. Most of us living out here would put our bottles and cans alongside the road where he would gather them on his daily bike ride. Sometimes he would stop in and chat. An interesting and eccentric guy.
I think it's a little funny that rich people would keep them as a sign of refinement and as a reminder of the feeling of melancholy.
JTWuest is offline  
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM   #47

unclefred's Avatar
The Snub Nosed Truth
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: Oregon coastal mountains
Posts: 6,366
Blog Entries: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWuest View Post
I think it's a little funny that rich people would keep them as a sign of refinement and as a reminder of the feeling of melancholy.
Definitely a strange and humorous custom.
unclefred is offline  
Old July 7th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #48

HistoryFreak1912's Avatar
"Let's learn something!"
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Alabama
Posts: 3,547
Blog Entries: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Good lord.

The only agenda here is me asking a question about whether this practice happened. I don't know.

I am also not sure of what Andrew Jackson's motives were when he "acquired" the child. I've read excerpts from his letter home regarding it and it makes me wonder.

I do not know. I am not trying to convince anyone that mean ole white folks stole indian kids. I just wondered if anyone here has ever heard of it.
I don't think that was much of a practice in the US (and Europe, as mentioned previously, did that thing to African children, not Natives.)

Rongo's commentary on the second post raises questions. What was the common practice of capturing children between the Indians and the whites?

As for Jackson's motivation? Reading the primary sources on the second post, I'm guessing it was a bit of 'His parents were savages who wanted to kill him. I'm rescuing him from his savage people.' I may be flat out wrong, though, but that's how I interpreted it.
HistoryFreak1912 is offline  
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #49
Academician
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: Caribbean
Posts: 94

Back to the term: The use of the term 'pet' is extremely common in 17th to 18th Caribbean and US. I'd say it was common in the Caribbean until about 30 years ago.
All my friends parents, including my own, referred to their children as pets or 'pet pet'- so silly.

It was not uncommon, even post-emancipation well into the 20th century to play with the children of non-European descent whose parents may or may not have worked for family members. Or perhaps their family worked next door and they came over to play.

Sometimes it was engineered by a parent, but neither kids cared and there was never a hierarchy in the relationship of such children - as movies now portray. That would have been rare. To be honest the dynamic was that the child of former slaves/help was more 'worldy' or 'cooler' - they knew how to make slingshots, track in the bush, find mangos - all sorts of cool stuff the list was long from memory.
tonywalt is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > American History

Tags
americans, children, european, indian, pets, taking, white


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do white Americans view their European ancestry? Satuf American History 240 February 1st, 2014 07:29 AM
Which Native Americans sided with the French in the French and INdian war? CathareHeretic American History 25 August 28th, 2013 10:52 PM
Were Indian armies stronger than European armies? The Imperial Asian History 928 April 14th, 2011 01:39 PM
Most White Americans have German roots? Veritas American History 89 September 5th, 2010 10:55 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.