Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Ancient History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Ancient History Ancient History Forum - Greece, Rome, Carthage, Egypt, Mesopotamia, and all other civilizations of antiquity, to include Prehistory and Archaeology discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:50 PM   #1

pixi666's Avatar
Restitutor Canadensis
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: The Great Indoors
Posts: 2,534
Blog Entries: 1
Badass of the Week: Augustus?


I just stumbled upon this on the web: /www.badassoftheweek.com/augustus.html

It's certainly an... interesting look at the life of Augustus, although I can't help but be a little miffed by the author's characterization of Augustus as 'one of those truly legendary evil geniuses' (and that should be genii, not geniuses).

Well, I simply had to share it with you guys. What do you think?
pixi666 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,933
Re: Badass of the Week: Augustus?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pixi666 View Post
I just stumbled upon this on the web: /www.badassoftheweek.com/augustus.html

It's certainly an... interesting look at the life of Augustus, although I can't help but be a little miffed by the author's characterization of Augustus as 'one of those truly legendary evil geniuses' (and that should be genii, not geniuses).

Well, I simply had to share it with you guys. What do you think?
I will have to read it with some more patience and care, but at first sight the historical stuff is basically exact.
sylla1 is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 797
Re: Badass of the Week: Augustus?


Well, Augustus is definitely ruthless, but I don't see how he is evil, sure he killed a lot of people, something all ancient generals and politicians have done, so I don't see anything wrong with it.
To me, Augustus is greatest Roman leader and politician, he expanded Roman empire in all directions, politically speaking, he succeeded in what all Roman general during the civil war including Caesar failed to do.
Narses is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:31 PM   #4

Labienus's Avatar
Peripatetic
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 6,473
Re: Badass of the Week: Augustus?


I especially like this site's rant of Marcus Cassius Scaeva
Labienus is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:40 PM   #5

pixi666's Avatar
Restitutor Canadensis
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: The Great Indoors
Posts: 2,534
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Badass of the Week: Augustus?


Just found this one on Gaius Marius: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/marius.html

Actually, they have loads on ancient figures: Darius the Great, Aeschylus, Tiberius, Spartacus, Cincinnatus, Odysseus, Perseus, Arminius, and Julius Caesar.
pixi666 is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 797
Re: Badass of the Week: Augustus?


Damn, my profile picture never work.
Marius is definitely another interesting character, he is arguably more important than Caesar in Roman history, since without his reform, Caesar could never go against the senate.
Narses is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM   #7

pixi666's Avatar
Restitutor Canadensis
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: The Great Indoors
Posts: 2,534
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Badass of the Week: Augustus?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Narses View Post
Damn, my profile picture never work.
Marius is definitely another interesting character, he is arguably more important than Caesar in Roman history, since without his reform, Caesar could never go against the senate.
Yes, but you could say the same about the Gracchi, Sulla, and Sertorius.
pixi666 is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 797
Re: Badass of the Week: Augustus?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pixi666 View Post
Yes, but you could say the same about the Gracchi, Sulla, and Sertorius.
Well, I think Marius is the most important amongst them, his reform is the beginning of the Roman civil wars, before him, rival politicians could never solve their polical difference by war or dare to challenge the senate.
Narses is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:54 PM   #9

Zézinho's Avatar
Citizen
 
Joined: Dec 2010
From: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 29
Re: Badass of the Week: Augustus?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Narses View Post
Well, Augustus is definitely ruthless, but I don't see how he is evil, sure he killed a lot of people, something all ancient generals and politicians have done, so I don't see anything wrong with it.
To me, Augustus is greatest Roman leader and politician, he expanded Roman empire in all directions, politically speaking, he succeeded in what all Roman general during the civil war including Caesar failed to do.

Lol. Can you name me a roman who wasnt ruthless?
Zézinho is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM   #10

Salah's Avatar
Baltimorean
¤ Blog of the Year ¤
 
Joined: Oct 2009
From: Maryland
Posts: 23,284
Blog Entries: 182
Re: Badass of the Week: Augustus?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zézinho View Post
Lol. Can you name me a roman who wasnt ruthless?
Severus Alexander comes to mind.
Salah is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Ancient History

Tags
augustus, badass, week



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is the most badass American to of ever lived? Shanks American History 95 December 16th, 2010 04:35 PM
When did Octavian become Augustus? pixi666 Ancient History 6 December 7th, 2010 09:20 PM
How badass would the US be adopting the Swiss policy of armed neutrality? throughthepastdarkly Speculative History 18 February 19th, 2010 01:00 PM
What is your opinion of Augustus hem dazon 90 Ancient History 65 November 21st, 2009 09:14 PM
Most Badass President! HistoryFreak1912 American History 22 October 1st, 2009 06:10 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.