Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Ancient History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Ancient History Ancient History Forum - Greece, Rome, Carthage, Egypt, Mesopotamia, and all other civilizations of antiquity, to include Prehistory and Archaeology discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Central Macedonia
Posts: 17,763
Blog Entries: 4
Origin of the Greeks


"The basic conclusion (A. Poulianos 1971,1999) is that the contemporary population of Crete (based on a sample of 3.000 individuals) and the Aegean sea as a whole including the hinterland of Thrace and Asia Minor remained unaltered at least since the Minoan era and belongs to the aegean indigenous anthropological type. The migrations, which occurred during several historical periods, resulted in some light variations, but did not change the morphology of the original type. The influences do not exceed more than 1-3 % and this homogeneity betrays once again that the dwellers of the Aegean basin in general are locally born, at least since the Mesolithic epoch, that is 15.000 years BP (before present).

As for their historical, linguistic and archaeological arguments the situation is no better. For example they make the hypothesis that when 10.000 years ago Sahara became a desert, perhaps the Berbers migrated … to Crete creating the Minoan civilization. In other words, instead of trying to find a way to survive they constructed … ships, and went to … Crete! Did not the authors really wonder about the probability that Cretans, rulers of the high seas at the time, traveled the opposite way, as many ancient sources refer? Moreover, the Sahara’s succulent sojourn faced an abrupt end about 5.500 years ago.”(see Sara Simpson, Scientific American Oct.1999, p.19) and naturally not 10.000 ago when the last fluvial climatic conditions (cataclysm) occurred.


The statistical elaboration of these characteristics in combination with their geographical distribution demonstrated mathematically (because of their low dispersion) the incessant biological continuity of the Greeks all through the historic and prehistoric epochs, which refer at least to the Mesolithic and Upper Palaeolithic periods (15.000-30.000 years). This historical continuity is also proved by the comparison of measurements of the contemporary inhabitants with those of the ancient skulls of Greece, which statistically show no differences. Despite the occasional influences and limited migrations of populations, the anthropological research has shown that the population of Greece is basically native and that the contemporary Greeks are descendants of the ancient peoples who resided in the Greek peninsula. The same study indicated that the Albanian-speaking, Slav-speaking (Monte Negro included) as well as Valaches (Vlachi) of the greater Macedonian region are in their majority also autochthonous and therefore the influences from abroad mainly concerns the adoption of the chronologically younger languages, which are in use today."


Greeks origin

Thessalonian is offline  
Remove Ads
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Central Macedonia
Posts: 17,763
Blog Entries: 4

That pretty much replies to the Usko-Mediterranean theory......
Thessalonian is offline  
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: .
Posts: 4,433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thessalonian View Post
That pretty much replies to the Usko-Mediterranean theory......
Some might suggest this man is a touch racist in his approach. It's not as if he hasn't been found out already, being discredited of the Petralona Cave finds.
The Alani Dragon Rising is offline  
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Central Macedonia
Posts: 17,763
Blog Entries: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alani Dragon Rising View Post
Some might suggest this man is a touch racist in his approach. It's not as if he hasn't been found out already, being discredited of the Petralona Cave finds.

Not really discredited. They suggested a different date (200,000 years) instead of his 700,000 years date. Moreover, this article (if you bothered to read it) contains the opinions of many scholars, not just him!!!!
Thessalonian is offline  
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Central Macedonia
Posts: 17,763
Blog Entries: 4

Avgi, 6-1-1962: “Over 150 scientists of the University and the Academy of Moscow have fully agreed with the scientific views of Mr. Aris. Poulianos, underlining the seriousness of the research, and without sparing their expressions, they spoke with praising words about him. Dr S. A. Tocarev, professor of ethnography in the University of Moscow and head of the Department of Ethnography regarding the peoples of Europe at the Institute of Ethnography of the Moscow Academy of Sciences, stated the following:.....
Thessalonian is offline  
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: .
Posts: 4,433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thessalonian View Post
Not really discredited. They suggested a different date (200,000 years) instead of his 700,000 years date. Moreover, this article (if you bothered to read it) contains the opinions of many scholars, not just him!!!!
He got the species wrong. How can his word be trusted when he couldn't even get that right. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
The Alani Dragon Rising is offline  
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: .
Posts: 4,433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thessalonian View Post
Avgi, 6-1-1962: “Over 150 scientists of the University and the Academy of Moscow have fully agreed with the scientific views of Mr. Aris. Poulianos, underlining the seriousness of the research, and without sparing their expressions, they spoke with praising words about him. Dr S. A. Tocarev, professor of ethnography in the University of Moscow and head of the Department of Ethnography regarding the peoples of Europe at the Institute of Ethnography of the Moscow Academy of Sciences, stated the following:.....
Have you the results at hand of DNA tests to back up what he's said?
The Alani Dragon Rising is offline  
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Central Macedonia
Posts: 17,763
Blog Entries: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alani Dragon Rising View Post
Have you the results at hand of DNA tests to back up what he's said?

No, have you the results from his opponents at hand?

150 scientists from one university alone, support him.
Thessalonian is offline  
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #9

cannelidis1's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
From: the southwest
Posts: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thessalonian View Post
"The basic conclusion (A. Poulianos 1971,1999) is that the contemporary population of Crete (based on a sample of 3.000 individuals) and the Aegean sea as a whole including the hinterland of Thrace and Asia Minor remained unaltered at least since the Minoan era and belongs to the aegean indigenous anthropological type. The migrations, which occurred during several historical periods, resulted in some light variations, but did not change the morphology of the original type. The influences do not exceed more than 1-3 % and this homogeneity betrays once again that the dwellers of the Aegean basin in general are locally born, at least since the Mesolithic epoch, that is 15.000 years BP (before present).

As for their historical, linguistic and archaeological arguments the situation is no better. For example they make the hypothesis that when 10.000 years ago Sahara became a desert, perhaps the Berbers migrated … to Crete creating the Minoan civilization. In other words, instead of trying to find a way to survive they constructed … ships, and went to … Crete! Did not the authors really wonder about the probability that Cretans, rulers of the high seas at the time, traveled the opposite way, as many ancient sources refer? Moreover, the Sahara’s succulent sojourn faced an abrupt end about 5.500 years ago.”(see Sara Simpson, Scientific American Oct.1999, p.19) and naturally not 10.000 ago when the last fluvial climatic conditions (cataclysm) occurred.


The statistical elaboration of these characteristics in combination with their geographical distribution demonstrated mathematically (because of their low dispersion) the incessant biological continuity of the Greeks all through the historic and prehistoric epochs, which refer at least to the Mesolithic and Upper Palaeolithic periods (15.000-30.000 years). This historical continuity is also proved by the comparison of measurements of the contemporary inhabitants with those of the ancient skulls of Greece, which statistically show no differences. Despite the occasional influences and limited migrations of populations, the anthropological research has shown that the population of Greece is basically native and that the contemporary Greeks are descendants of the ancient peoples who resided in the Greek peninsula. The same study indicated that the Albanian-speaking, Slav-speaking (Monte Negro included) as well as Valaches (Vlachi) of the greater Macedonian region are in their majority also autochthonous and therefore the influences from abroad mainly concerns the adoption of the chronologically younger languages, which are in use today."


Greeks origin
Interesting but ai am not sure how to reply since I understand the genetics of the Cretan populaton less than the history. I know the area has been invaded numerous times throughout its history, but I am not sure how much these invasion influenced the genetics of the native populaton. I do know that the subjects in Minoan art look a lot like modern Cretans, but I never believed it was because of a pure genetic connection to the ancient Minoans.
cannelidis1 is offline  
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: .
Posts: 4,433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thessalonian View Post
No, have you the results from his opponents at hand?

150 scientists from one university alone, support him.
Neanderthal, wasn't it.

Ha ha ha, 150, don't you see anything suspicious or odd in the need for so many in one institute. I take it they will come forward with their evidence, though I won't hold my breath.
The Alani Dragon Rising is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Ancient History

Tags
greeks, origin


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Origin of Albanians Brend European History 285 March 30th, 2014 04:58 AM
Surname origin djzuza European History 13 September 10th, 2010 02:19 PM
Origin myths Chookie General History 10 February 4th, 2010 01:22 AM
Origin of Politics bigscreeninkster Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 14 January 2nd, 2010 11:04 PM
The Origin of Language Wobomagonda Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 25 September 20th, 2009 04:23 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.