Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Ancient History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Ancient History Ancient History Forum - Greece, Rome, Carthage, Egypt, Mesopotamia, and all other civilizations of antiquity, to include Prehistory and Archaeology discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #61
Academician
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Moorhead, MN
Posts: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinLuke View Post
If you make reference to the "Famine stele", it's well far from the eventual period of the events. It was engraved in Ptolemaic period and it reports tales from the age of Djoser.

If we are thinking to the same stone [Sehel inscription for the Governor at Elephantine], it begins



[/FONT]Not my translation, but the translation by M. Lichtheimin his Ancient Egyptian Literature: A Book of Readings].

This would move the figure of Joseph back to the 3rd dynasty.
No use arguing with pseudo-historians who are convinced of the historicity of the national origin myth of one particular early Iron Age Levantine statelet just because that myth is part of Jewish and Christian scripture.
TaylorS is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #62

Thegn Ansgar's Avatar
I liek dinosaures
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Canada
Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
No use arguing with pseudo-historians who are convinced of the historicity of the national origin myth of one particular early Iron Age Levantine statelet just because that myth is part of Jewish and Christian scripture.
No use arguing with pseudo-historians who are convinced by an unconvincing chronology, that relies on large gaps and implausible "dark ages".
Thegn Ansgar is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #63

Mandate of Heaven's Avatar
Ate too much
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: Not sure what it is
Posts: 6,105

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
No use arguing with pseudo-historians who are convinced of the historicity of the national origin myth of one particular early Iron Age Levantine statelet just because that myth is part of Jewish and Christian scripture.
Unlike you, he's not arguing with anyone. In fact, he's involved in a meaningful discussion, which if you would bother to read a book once in a while, maybe able to contribute a little too.
Mandate of Heaven is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #64
Lecturer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 256

So lets get this straight, you believe that some "God"(Who's "Creation Myth and Flood Myth is plagerized Mesopotamian Paganism) Spoke from a Burning Bush and rained down 10 "plagues" against Egypt, while this very "God" was by the Exodus Myth's own words, responsible for "Hardening the heart of a nameless pharoah".

The fact is if any other Pagan people had written the Exodus you and 90% of people in this thread defending it(without proof) would either not care or like most of you do to Mesopotamian/Greek/Egyptian myths consider it a fabrication. You only donate wasted time and energy because of the influence of the Abrahamic Cults.

Fact is a simple reading of the Exodus is enough to tell its pure fiction, Id expect 2,000 yrs from now someone reading Steven King's the Langoliers would know its fiction.

Also its clear the whole plagues part of the Exodus was simply a mockery of the Egyptian Pantheon by defeated and subjugated Bigoted bedouins. If anything the Exodus is a historical event highly fictionalized to ease the pain of a defeated and humiliated people. Manetho claims they were the defeated Hyksos, who were beaten so bad by the Egyptians their city of Avaris and even cities in the Levant were nearly wiped out of existance. So lets be honest, the closest you have to the "Exodus" is the Hyksos expulsion, no "God" leading his people against an evil pharaoh but a series of Military Masters expelling Asiatics out of the nile...and guess what we have proof of this..

Autobiography of Ahmose, son of Ebana



How can one not read the Exodus and see clear fiction and exaggeration is beyond me, but at the end of the day people have their very being and culture and religion vested in the Exodus and the bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate of Heaven View Post
Your entire proof that Exodus is fictional is that Exodus didn't mention the pharoah's real name? Then according to your own logic, every post you made here is fictional because you didn't mention your real name!

Last edited by Jari; December 6th, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Jari is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #65
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate of Heaven View Post
Oh yes, there are. So you are wrong. First, an Egyptian inscription of seven year drought was discovered in Elephantine. Then Ramese II's first born son was discovered to have died within the Exodus time frame. Then Rameses II was discovered to spend enormous amount of labor force in constructing three new cities in the Delta.
Any sources?
sylla1 is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #66
Lecturer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 256

Ive seen this so called evidence from various documentaries, and while they are intriguing, its nothing but speculation. Nothing in the Exodus has been proven and trust me the "Plagues" will never have any proof ever.

What we do have proof of is Asiatic "Hyskos" migrating setting up in and eventually controlling Lower Egypt and the Delta, and later Upper Egyptians expelling and defeating and subjugating them. This is what the Egyptians claimed according to Manetho and its backed up by evidence unlike the Exodus account from the other side, yet hundreds of years later we have people still trying to hang onto the Exodus as an authentic historical account, you even have some of them claiming that the Egyptians "Lied" or erased this from history...

Yet the Egyptians controlled and subjugated Cannan and Syria for Hundreds of years even during the evasive time periods the Exodus is supposed to take place...please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlacaelel View Post
There is some scientific proofs regarding the partition of the sea and the red colored waters mentioned in the Old Book.

The first was an earthquake that some geologists have stated to be within the Exodus time frame that created a brief moment in which the waters fell back leaving some tracks “open”.

And speaking about red waters, they have been seen actually in some lakes in Africa when telluric movement takes place or the pressure exerted on subterranean gas is such that releases it, coloring in the process the water and killing all the life within it.
Jari is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #67

Thegn Ansgar's Avatar
I liek dinosaures
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Canada
Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari View Post
So lets get this straight, you believe that some "God"(Who's "Creation Myth and Flood Myth is plagerized Mesopotamian Paganism) Spoke from a Burning Bush and rained down 10 "plagues" against Egypt, while this very "God" was by the Exodus Myth's own words, responsible for "Hardening the heart of a nameless pharoah".

The fact is if any other Pagan people had written the Exodus you and 90% of people in this thread defending it(without proof) would either not care or like most of you do to Mesopotamian/Greek/Egyptian myths consider it a fabrication. You only donate wasted time and energy because of the influence of the Abrahamic Cults.

Fact is a simple reading of the Exodus is enough to tell its pure fiction, Id expect 2,000 yrs from now someone reading Steven King's the Langoliers would know its fiction.

Also its clear the whole plagues part of the Exodus was simply a mockery of the Egyptian Pantheon by defeated and subjugated Bigoted bedouins. If anything the Exodus is a historical event highly fictionalized to ease the pain of a defeated and humiliated people. Manetho claims they were the defeated Hyksos, who were beaten so bad by the Egyptians their city of Avaris and even cities in the Levant were nearly wiped out of existance. So lets be honest, the closest you have to the "Exodus" is the Hyksos expulsion, no "God" leading his people against an evil pharaoh but a series of Military Masters expelling Asiatics out of the nile...and guess what we have proof of this..

Autobiography of Ahmose, son of Ebana



How can one not read the Exodus and see clear fiction and exaggeration is beyond me, but at the end of the day people have their very being and culture and religion vested in the Exodus and the bible.
Ice cream; Because it's about as helpful and conductive to this discussion as your post is.
Thegn Ansgar is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #68
Lecturer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 256

Who are you?? When did I have have a "discussion" with you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegn Ansgar View Post
Ice cream; Because it's about as helpful and conductive to this discussion as your post is.
Jari is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #69
Lecturer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 256

All I see here is people taking leaps and bounds in speculation rather than adressing the evidence at hand, fact is we have evidence of an "Exodus" and its called the Hyskos Expulsion. People devoted to their religions are not satisfied with this because it means fabrication on part of the defeated party.
Jari is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #70

Thegn Ansgar's Avatar
I liek dinosaures
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Canada
Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari View Post
Who are you?? When did I have have a "discussion" with you??
I am Thegn Ansgar, I've been here a lot longer than you have, and it doesn't matter when we've had discussions here. The fact is that your posts do not add anything to this thread, and are mostly false. A significant number of atheist Egyptologists do believe there was a historical exodus, so your agenda describing it as fiction is quite clear as rain. You have no desire for historical truth in this regards, and you're blinded by your bias.
Thegn Ansgar is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Ancient History

Tags
moses, pharaoh


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"2000 Maniacs" - Worst excuse for a "CW" based movie! Bonny Blue Flag History in Films and on Television 18 November 27th, 2012 08:04 AM
The Ship "Thomas"; chapter 7 of Liverpool and Slavery by "a Genuine 'Dicky Sam'" Tony Franks-Buckley European History 4 July 16th, 2012 11:19 AM
Napoleon III: "The Socialist Emperor" or "A Sphinx Without Riddle"? Quirinus European History 5 January 28th, 2012 03:30 AM
What Justifies the Label "Barbarian" and When Can the Claim for "Civilization" Be Asserted? Serena General History 48 June 28th, 2011 04:35 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.