Historum - History Forums

Historum - History Forums (http://historum.com/)
-   Ancient History (http://historum.com/ancient-history/)
-   -   Which ancient tribe has been completely wiped out (http://historum.com/ancient-history/90493-ancient-tribe-has-been-completely-wiped-out.html)

Vinnie May 13th, 2015 08:35 PM

Which ancient tribe has been completely wiped out
 
From the face of the earth by another tribe, invading army or country?

Caesarmagnus May 13th, 2015 09:31 PM

The Romans wiped out a lot.

Lawnmowerman May 13th, 2015 11:40 PM

Mohawks and Eire people, probably many more Eastern seaboard Native American Tribes.

The original inhabitants of New Zealand the Moriori . The Maoris thought they tasted delicious!!!! And when they found out there were some on the Chatham Islands they charted a British ship and had a feast.

All too human May 14th, 2015 02:36 AM

Good argument against pacificsm:

The Moriori thought it wrong to fight, but the Tarinaki Maori (who ate them) thought it right.

(Hilaire Bellocish)

Nestor May 14th, 2015 02:41 AM

Caribe tribes.

Moloc May 14th, 2015 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All too human (Post 2186054)
Good argument against pacificsm:

The Moriori thought it wrong to fight, but the Tarinaki Maori (who ate them) thought it right.

(Hilaire Bellocish)

:laugh:

Artaxata May 14th, 2015 04:17 AM

I think many tribes were just absorbed by other states, Countless of races have been extinct. But almost never by violence. Usually when an area is conquered its native people combine with the conquerors.

Domhnall Balloch May 14th, 2015 09:13 AM

The Veneti and Eburones were both 'all but' exterminated by Caesar in his Gallic wars, but in recorded history (unrecorded's a different matter) wiping out a tribe through physical extermination was rare. It was pointless, expensive, and counter-productive to prosecute a war to the point of extinction. Not a lot of states even had an organisational level for it, and the people in regions they wanted to conquer would've been saved by their own lack of infrastructure.

Quote:

Good argument against pacificsm:

The Moriori thought it wrong to fight, but the Tarinaki Maori (who ate them) thought it right.

(Hilaire Bellocish)
Resisting the urge to make a chicken Tarinaki joke, that Maori invasion is a pretty good argument for colonialism in my book. And one in the eye for anyone trying to rehabilitate the indigenous peoples' reputation.

All too human May 14th, 2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domhnall Balloch (Post 2186280)

Resisting the urge to make a chicken Tarinaki joke, that Maori invasion is a pretty good argument for colonialism in my book. And one in the eye for anyone trying to rehabilitate the indigenous peoples' reputation.

Och no, we should have left them alone, I'm sure they were having a ball.

On the subject of extinct tribes and cannibalism, the Caete tribe in Brazil were hunted to extinction by the Portuguese (among others) after they supposedly ate the first bishop of Brazil.

Domhnall Balloch May 14th, 2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

On the subject of extinct tribes and cannibalism, the Caete tribe in Brazil were hunted to extinction by the Portuguese (among others) after they supposedly ate the first bishop of Brazil
I've just had one of these and new feel slightly guilty...


http://www.retoxmagazine.com/assets/...inger-beer.jpg


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.