Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > Art and Cultural History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Art and Cultural History Art and Cultural History Forum - Music, Literature, Mythology, Visual Arts, Sports, Popular Culture


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #1

DAS44's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Yaller Dawg
Posts: 564
Impact of Woodstock ('69) on American Culture.


Woodstock, the famous festival in wich, Jimi Hendrix, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Crosby Stills and Nash; Santana and many more artists played. It's popular "catch phrase" (if you will) was "Three days of peace and music". It delivered on the peace and music but add drugs and alchohol and you're there. Fantastic music all around.

The support for peace obviously refers to the Veitnam War but does this message go deeper? To the bonds of friendship formed in the mud in little Bethel NY? To the ability to come together are provide for everyone? (even the 500K hippies who were basically starving). Those two and more.

It's effect on music of the day has reached to today (despite the gruesome monster that the disney channel, rap and much popular music these days has become). The few bands that I personally like are all strongly influenced by the seed layed at woodstock. The far reaching influence of that generation, those musicians were some of the most innovative of all time.

Too many teens today forget those days. Being 15 and having the music taste that I do, it sickens me that many kids I know havent heard of Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin.

I pray that music makes a comeback.
DAS44 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:04 AM   #2

diddyriddick's Avatar
Forum Curmudgeon
 
Joined: May 2009
From: A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
Posts: 13,126
Re: Impact of Woodstock ('69) on American Culture.


While I agree with your musical choices, DAS, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
diddyriddick is online now  
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:37 AM   #3

DwnSouthJukin's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 732
Re: Impact of Woodstock ('69) on American Culture.


Lots of good music, lots of naive outlooks on the world.
DwnSouthJukin is offline  
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:47 AM   #4

Sharks and love's Avatar
Knows he knows not
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Sharkland
Posts: 5,348
Re: Impact of Woodstock ('69) on American Culture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnSouthJukin View Post
Lots of good music, lots of naive outlooks on the world.
Which outlooks were naive?
Sharks and love is offline  
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:03 AM   #5

JimR-OCDS's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,281
Re: Impact of Woodstock ('69) on American Culture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks and love View Post
Which outlooks were naive?
That sexual liberation would be good for society.

That dropping out and tuning out was a good way to earn a living.

That science was something to be distrusted. Heck when it started to rain during the WS concert, there were many who claimed that the government had seeded the clouds in order to spoil the event.

I was 16 at the time of Woodstock. I new a couple kids that went. All came back dumber than when they left.

That being said, I like the music, but the music actually preceded the concert.

Jim
JimR-OCDS is offline  
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM   #6

Sharks and love's Avatar
Knows he knows not
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Sharkland
Posts: 5,348
Re: Impact of Woodstock ('69) on American Culture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
That sexual liberation would be good for society.
So are you saying sexual liberation is a bad thing? Why?

Quote:
That dropping out and tuning out was a good way to earn a living.
Who said such a thing?

Quote:
That science was something to be distrusted.
Excuse me for my ignorance but I've never heard such a thing. Can you show me where this comes from?
Sharks and love is offline  
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:42 AM   #7

JimR-OCDS's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,281
Re: Impact of Woodstock ('69) on American Culture.


Sharks and love;

Quote:
So are you saying sexual liberation is a bad thing? Why?

Based on the number of children who are raised in homes with no fathers and who learned that they way to survive is to get on wel-fare, I'd say its a bad thing.


Quote:
Who said such a thing?
It was the theme of the 60's.



Quote:
Excuse me for my ignorance but I've never heard such a thing. Can you show me where this comes from?
They distrusted anything science reported back then. Science was seen in cahouts with big business and therefore, not to be trusted.

Even aspirin was suspect.

I suppose skepticism was really the main ideology of the 60's generation, my generation BTW.

Jim
JimR-OCDS is offline  
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:47 AM   #8

Sharks and love's Avatar
Knows he knows not
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Sharkland
Posts: 5,348
Re: Impact of Woodstock ('69) on American Culture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
Based on the number of children who are raised in homes with no fathers and who learned that they way to survive is to get on wel-fare, I'd say its a bad thing.
What? How is that attributable to sexual liberation? And can you say with certainty that this is only attributable to sexual liberation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
They distrusted anything science reported back then. Science was seen in cahouts with big business and therefore, not to be trusted.

Even aspirin was suspect.
You know that aspirin can be very dangerous don't you?

It can cause stomach bleeding and all kinds of other unhealthy side effects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirin#Adverse_effects


There have been quite a few studies (even big ones that the government cited for policy) from the 60's and 70's that have since been debunked and proven wrong.
Sharks and love is offline  
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:21 AM   #9

JimR-OCDS's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,281
Re: Impact of Woodstock ('69) on American Culture.


Sharks and love;

Quote:
What? How is that attributable to sexual liberation? And can you say with certainty that this is only attributable to sexual liberation?
Because prior to the 60's, most people especially girls, waited until they were married to have sex. However, the 60's brought a level of promiscuity which open the flood gates of un-wed mothers, who had to live off the public dime while trying raise kids by themselves. Don't misunderstand me here. Many single mothers do a fantastic job raising their kids. However, in general, a child does better with both a mother and father.

Quote:
You know that aspirin can be very dangerous don't you?
For babies and people with bleeding issues it can be.. However, aspirin is very beneficial if used properly. People my age are recommended to take a baby aspirin everyday. Its good for the heart. Also, it works great in reducing a fever.

However, that's not the point, but rather suspicion of science in general.


Jim
JimR-OCDS is offline  
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934
Re: Impact of Woodstock ('69) on American Culture.


As reported by the CDC, the trend of births from unmarried women (defined as the number of births to unmarried women per 1,000 unmarried women aged 15–44 years) would not suggest a relevant contribution from the sexual liberation of the 1960s (SIC):

"From 1940 to 1957, the rate nearly tripled, from 7.1 to 21.0 per 1,000. Over the next 13 years, the rate generally increased, slowly at first and then more rapidly from 1966 to 1970.
However, from 1970 to 1976 the rate declined nearly every year, about 8 percent overall.
Beginning in 1976, the rate increased without interruption until 1991. The pace of increase was especially rapid from 1985 to 1990 (5–8 percent annually).
In 1991, the rate increased 3 percent to 45.2 per 1,000 where it remained in 1992 as well."


My source: http://cdc.gov/NCHS/data/series/sr_21/sr21_053.pdf.
sylla1 is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > Art and Cultural History

Tags
american, culture, impact, woodstock


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THE IMPACT OF THE DEVSHIRME cannelidis1 Middle Eastern and African History 75 March 24th, 2014 07:13 AM
Greater Legion Impact okamido Ancient History 8 December 19th, 2009 09:44 AM
Ideologies and their impact wid116 European History 5 December 9th, 2009 09:58 AM
How big was Napoleons impact on America? chiyeung General History 13 May 24th, 2009 03:06 PM
what weapon had the greatest impact on warfare? old_abe War and Military History 180 May 8th, 2009 05:05 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.