Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Asian History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Asian History Asian History Forum - China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific Region


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:40 AM   #31

Aupmanyav's Avatar
Atheist, Advaitist, Hindu
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: New Delhi, India
Posts: 2,956

English
Beet Root Pudding: Indian Recipes | Beetroot Halwa
Beet Root Curry: http://nishamadhulika.com/en/1578-be...zi-recipe.html

Last edited by Aupmanyav; December 28th, 2017 at 08:45 AM.
Aupmanyav is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #32
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Australia
Posts: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupmanyav View Post
That would be sacrilege. Not offering the God something that he likes; and there will be consequences. You sure know what angry Gods can do. Gods are not to be trifled with. Humans can be offered cardamom tea, not Gods. For them, it has to be Soma.
Are they really that fussy ? I would have thought soma this or soma that would be okay




.... sorry , I blame it on cicadas ..... around 150 db all day every day ... for weeks on end from before dawn to after sunset ... sending me nutz !
specul8 is offline  
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #33
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Australia
Posts: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupmanyav View Post
Milk alone cannot fulfill the nutritional requirement. People started eating grains long time before that. Before agriculture came up, humans just cut and processed wild grass bearing pseudo-cereals. What we eat today is the product of breeding for thousands of years.

"Barley (Hordeum vulgare), a member of the grass family, is a major cereal grain grown in temperate climates globally. It was one of the first cultivated grains, particularly in Eurasia as early as 10,000 years ago."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barley
Australian Aboriginals ate grains and made bread long before agriculture. One explorer said it was the best bread he had ever tasted. But he may have been starving ... then anything may have tasted 'the best ever' ?

https://australianmuseum.net.au/blog...original-bread

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/...s-first-bakers

“That puts Australian baking way beyond anything that’s ever happened anywhere else in the world,” says author Bruce Pascoe. He’s talking about 36,000-year-old grindstones discovered in New South Wales, used by Aboriginal Australians to turn seeds into flours for baking. That’s well ahead of other civilisations that started baking early on, like the Egyptians, who began making bread around 17,000 BC.
specul8 is offline  
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #34
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Australia
Posts: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupmanyav View Post
Thank you ! I have more beetroot in my garden than I know what to do with .
specul8 is offline  
Old December 28th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #35

Aupmanyav's Avatar
Atheist, Advaitist, Hindu
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: New Delhi, India
Posts: 2,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by specul8 View Post
.. sorry, I blame it on cicadas .. around 150 db all day every day .. for weeks on end from before dawn to after sunset .. sending me nutz!
Are they really that fussy? I would have thought soma this or soma that would be okay.
Oh, cicadas, I have them in my head (tinnitus). I don't like it, but I have kind of adjusted with them. No option.

You first have to ply them with soma. After that it is OK. Here is Indra after having a few cups more of Soma than what he should have drunk:
हन्ताहं पर्थिवीमिमां नि दधानीह वेह वा l कुवित्सोमस्यापामिति ll
ओषमित पर्थिवीमहं जङघनानीह वेह वा l कुवित्सोमस्यापामिति ll

hantāhaṃ pṛthivīmimāṃ ni dadhānīha veha vā l kuvitsomasyāpāmiti ll
oṣamit pṛthivīmahaṃ jaṅghanānīha veha vā l kuvitsomasyāpāmiti ll

Aha! this spacious earth will I deposit either here or there, Have I not drunk of Soma juice?
In one short moment will I smite the earth in fury here or there, Have I not drunk of Soma juice?

Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXIX. Indra.

Good that he did not do that! Or perhaps he did! That is why w have the Pacific Ocean, smashed in by his Vajra. You have to agree that he is the mightiest of all Gods.

Last edited by Aupmanyav; December 28th, 2017 at 08:23 PM.
Aupmanyav is offline  
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:03 PM   #36
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2014
From: USA
Posts: 2,564

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexell View Post
Original Arya could not possibly be barley people. They were milk people riding horses and chariots into which they put their women and children. They used fruits and certain vegetables in their diets. But not barley. Barley came to them with farming practices.
Original Aryas were Vedic people who ate barley.
Aatreya is offline  
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:05 PM   #37
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2014
From: USA
Posts: 2,564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamhunter View Post
^
Wud he not eat it if he was offered oat instead? Since it is not specified in the hymn what grain it should be. Wud be a better bet for reducing his cholesterol.
There are certainly hymns that have barley.
Aatreya is offline  
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:26 PM   #38
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Australia
Posts: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupmanyav View Post
Oh, cicadas, I have them in my head (tinnitus). I don't like it, but I have kind of adjusted with them. No option.

You first have to ply them with soma. After that it is OK. Here is Indra after having a few cups more of Soma than what he should have drunk:
हन्ताहं पर्थिवीमिमां नि दधानीह वेह वा l कुवित्सोमस्यापामिति ll
ओषमित पर्थिवीमहं जङघनानीह वेह वा l कुवित्सोमस्यापामिति ll

hantāhaṃ pṛthivīmimāṃ ni dadhānīha veha vā l kuvitsomasyāpāmiti ll
oṣamit pṛthivīmahaṃ jaṅghanānīha veha vā l kuvitsomasyāpāmiti ll

Aha! this spacious earth will I deposit either here or there, Have I not drunk of Soma juice?
In one short moment will I smite the earth in fury here or there, Have I not drunk of Soma juice?

Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXIX. Indra.

Good that he did not do that! Or perhaps he did! That is why w have the Pacific Ocean, smashed in by his Vajra. You have to agree that he is the mightiest of all Gods.
You realize that Soma can turn you into an amped up speed freak ?

I mean, just listen to this rant ... hyped up on testosterone * and 'ancient ice' ...

( * if you got ' 1000 testicles' you got testosterone overload ! )

" "Men who ride swiftly, having good horses, call on me when surrounded in battle. I, the bountiful Indra, provoke strife. I whirl up the dust, my strength is overwhelming... . No godlike power can check me - I who am unassailable. When draughts of Soma, when songs have made me frenzied, then both the unbounded regions are filled with fear. "

Tell me that isnt someone amped up on goey !

( https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GOey )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botani...3haoma#Ephedra
specul8 is offline  
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #39
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2014
From: USA
Posts: 2,564

Quote:
Originally Posted by specul8 View Post
You realize that Soma can turn you into an amped up speed freak ?

I mean, just listen to this rant ... hyped up on testosterone * and 'ancient ice' ...

( * if you got ' 1000 testicles' you got testosterone overload ! )

" "Men who ride swiftly, having good horses, call on me when surrounded in battle. I, the bountiful Indra, provoke strife. I whirl up the dust, my strength is overwhelming... . No godlike power can check me - I who am unassailable. When draughts of Soma, when songs have made me frenzied, then both the unbounded regions are filled with fear. "

Tell me that isnt someone amped up on goey !

( https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GOey )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botani...3haoma#Ephedra
Dude, take it easy. Soma is not ephedra as you would like to believe. Those hymns have quite a different meaning.
Aatreya is offline  
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #40
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Australia
Posts: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatreya View Post
Dude, take it easy. Soma is not ephedra as you would like to believe. Those hymns have quite a different meaning.
Now, just insistence that I am wrong

Anyway, other s can read the info in the link I supplied and see the reason and logic behind it ... wile you have offered nothing to refute it except your insistence about your own beliefs - again !
specul8 is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Asian History

Tags
anatolian, homeland, indoeuropeans



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indo-European homeland is North India Bharadwaja Brahmin Asian History 540 January 1st, 2018 07:07 PM
Have the pre-indo-europeans ever done anything relevant? History Craft European History 22 September 29th, 2017 02:45 AM
Kassites and Indo-Europeans Vinnie Ancient History 106 May 5th, 2016 05:16 PM
Was Stone Henge Built By Old Europeans or Indo Europeans? cachibatches Ancient History 17 July 1st, 2014 09:44 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.