Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Asian History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Asian History Asian History Forum - China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific Region


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:28 AM   #31

Naima's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Venice
Posts: 2,016

I see somepeople say yo ucan see mixed people, different caste people but ... How u recognize People from different Castes in India?
Naima is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:50 AM   #32

Dreamhunter's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Malaysia
Posts: 5,704
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupmanyav View Post
We intend to continue with it, take pride in it. The only thing that we will do is to take out discrimination from it.
IMHO, you can't hv it both ways, can't hv the cake & eat it too. The core logic behind the system is to institute elitism. Which was one reason why the early Muslim invaders did well, in northern India, for a while. They kind of promised to the masses, whether in an explicit or implied way, to destroy that elitism.

And the only way to eliminate the discrimination is to take out the elitism, which wud then annihilate the system.

Last edited by Dreamhunter; January 1st, 2018 at 12:54 AM.
Dreamhunter is offline  
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:53 AM   #33
Scholar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naima View Post
I see somepeople say yo ucan see mixed people, different caste people but ... How u recognize People from different Castes in India?
Family names are a good hint for certain castes. This is also the case for Europe.
European family names indicate whether someone is a descendant of lower class people or higher class people like Smith in England or Müller in Germany which are usually names for people from lower classes
Theseus is offline  
Old January 1st, 2018, 12:56 AM   #34

Dreamhunter's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Malaysia
Posts: 5,704
Blog Entries: 1

^
No frekkin wonder that Gerd Muller looked like a lower caste dude. But he was a prolific goalscorer, though.
Dreamhunter is offline  
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:05 AM   #35
Academician
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Hosur
Posts: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Family names are a good hint for certain castes. This is also the case for Europe.
European family names indicate whether someone is a descendant of lower class people or higher class people like Smith in England or Müller in Germany which are usually names for people from lower classes
Hey what about people in south india who do not use family names? You are implying all south indians are lower caste/untouchable
maratha is online now  
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:14 AM   #36

tornada's Avatar
Wind Lord
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: India
Posts: 15,154
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maratha View Post
Hey what about people in south india who do not use family names? You are implying all south indians are lower caste/untouchable
No. The statement, as far as I can tell, is merely saying that family names can in some cases give hints as to caste. It doesn't mean that those who don't have family names are lower caste. I would imagine family names can give insight into both upper or lower caste status.

People not using family names, or having generic family names, are seen all over India, not just south. In many cases the family name will not give insight into caste. Many people in South India continue to use community and family names
tornada is offline  
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:21 AM   #37
Academician
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Hosur
Posts: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornada View Post
No. The statement, as far as I can tell, is merely saying that family names can in some cases give hints as to caste. It doesn't mean that those who don't have family names are lower caste. I would imagine family names can give insight into both upper or lower caste status.

People not using family names, or having generic family names, are seen all over India, not just south. In many cases the family name will not give insight into caste. Many people in South India continue to use community and family names
Which family names gives insight into lower caste status? I am really curious.
maratha is online now  
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:21 AM   #38
Scholar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by maratha View Post
Hey what about people in south india who do not use family names? You are implying all south indians are lower caste/untouchable
No this is not the case. There are high caste south Indian communities like Vellalar and Mudhaliar who do not use family names but the title Vellalar and Mudhaliar are still kept. Most South Indian communities used to have family names in the past but this tradition was for some reason stopped after the British period. So my statement is of course only valid for communities in India which use family names.
Theseus is offline  
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:29 AM   #39
Academician
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Hosur
Posts: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
No this is not the case. There are high caste south Indian communities like Vellalar and Mudhaliar who do not use family names but the title Vellalar and Mudhaliar are still kept. Most South Indian communities used to have family names in the past but this tradition was for some reason stopped after the British period. So my statement is of course only valid for communities in India which use family names.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dalits

Here is a list of dalits. I dont see any family names. Mudaliar, vellalar and many iyers do not use family names now. The thing is the italian guy asked how do you identify people as to which caste they belong to. You should have said certain forward caste use their surnames but not all. So it is not possible to identify people's caste from their surnames.
maratha is online now  
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:31 AM   #40

Aupmanyav's Avatar
Atheist, Advaitist, Hindu
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: New Delhi, India
Posts: 3,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamhunter View Post
Like this general preference for relatively lighter skin, for instance, which runs all the way from West Asia, through South Asia, all the way to East & Southeast Asia.
You see, DM, there is one thing more important than the color of the skin, we term it as 'Chhab' (Chhavi). A white skinned person could be very ugly unless he/she has 'Chhab'. Something, perhaps that Krishna had. This person hardly has any 'chhab' (which even Obama had) though he is white-skinned.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamhunter View Post
IMHO, you can't hv it both ways, can't hv the cake & eat it too. The core logic behind the system is to institute elitism.
The elitism is already gone from Urban India. It will go from rural India also. The caste system will remain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maratha View Post
Here is a list of dalits. I dont see any family names.
Even if the person may not be using the caste name, people in general and particularly in the region concerned know the caste of the person. Who does not know that Mayavati is a Jatav and Nitish Kumar is a Kurmi?

Last edited by Aupmanyav; January 1st, 2018 at 02:51 AM.
Aupmanyav is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Asian History

Tags
castes, india



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failure of Islam in attracting Upper Castes of India. Chacha Ji Asian History 90 October 29th, 2017 06:44 PM
What are other Kshatriya sub-castes in Hinduism beside Rajputs? Azad67 Asian History 32 March 20th, 2017 05:55 AM
Why did western India and Bengal become Islamized while the rest of India did not? Futurist Asian History 77 August 23rd, 2016 11:22 AM
Flags of pre-British India.And a related question:why India chose a rectangular flag? Abhishek Asian History 8 July 24th, 2015 02:35 PM
Were Indian castes based on racism (skin color)? The Imperial Asian History 6 November 30th, 2010 05:11 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.