Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Asian History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Asian History Asian History Forum - China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific Region


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Citizen
 
Joined: Jun 2018
From: India
Posts: 47
Out of India


New report

https://www.academia.edu/37026878/A_...iminary_report
Dardic is offline  
Remove Ads
Old August 10th, 2018, 10:26 AM   #2

Aupmanyav's Avatar
Atheist, Advaitist, Hindu
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: New Delhi, India
Posts: 4,116

Can you give a gist of what this report says before I try to download it?
Aupmanyav is offline  
Old August 10th, 2018, 10:32 AM   #3

tornada's Avatar
Wind Lord
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: India
Posts: 15,270
Blog Entries: 2

Its fundamentally a DNA study. Which means I'd wait for Peer Review. The English is problematic in many places, but that shouldn't be a critique of the arguments. However Academia is equivalent to maintaining a blog. It doesn't have any editorial standards. I say this, even as I maintain my own profile on the website. However, it does mean that you should be a little more careful, since there is no review of the material placed there.

If the evidence adds up for you then great. If like me, the science is too difficult to follow (in part because of the language constraints of the author) you might want to hold off on letting it factor into your conclusions
tornada is offline  
Old August 10th, 2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Citizen
 
Joined: Jun 2018
From: India
Posts: 47

I am pretty bad at summerizing stuff hehe
Dardic is offline  
Old August 10th, 2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: USA
Posts: 2,041

Just reading the first para says it is another Hindu nationalist propaganda.
kandal is online now  
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:24 AM   #6

tornada's Avatar
Wind Lord
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: India
Posts: 15,270
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandal View Post
Just reading the first para says it is another Hindu nationalist propaganda.
Jumping to conclusions, especially those aimed at supporting ad-hominem convictions about people who present views you disagree with is a sign of intellectual laziness and dishonesty.

I have no idea how you reach "Hindu Nationalist" from Igor A Tonoyan-Belyayev. He certainly appears to be someone who's specializing in Indo-European studies in the context of India, but given the 2 papers uploaded in Russian, I'd suggest he probably is a Russian.

Certainly he could be Hindu... But I doubt there's any reason to assume that, let alone the tag of Hindu Nationalist.

A person can ascribe to a flawed theory without malice or ulterior motives. He doesn't need to be correct to be considered unbiased. Present evidence that he is biased, rather than relying on the tactic of attacking the poor English of someone who is likely not a native speaker to attack him.
tornada is offline  
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:45 AM   #7
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: USA
Posts: 2,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornada View Post
Jumping to conclusions, especially those aimed at supporting ad-hominem convictions about people who present views you disagree with is a sign of intellectual laziness and dishonesty.

I have no idea how you reach "Hindu Nationalist" from Igor A Tonoyan-Belyayev. He certainly appears to be someone who's specializing in Indo-European studies in the context of India, but given the 2 papers uploaded in Russian, I'd suggest he probably is a Russian.

Certainly he could be Hindu... But I doubt there's any reason to assume that, let alone the tag of Hindu Nationalist.

A person can ascribe to a flawed theory without malice or ulterior motives. He doesn't need to be correct to be considered unbiased. Present evidence that he is biased, rather than relying on the tactic of attacking the poor English of someone who is likely not a native speaker to attack him.
Well, this 'out of India' or 'indigenous Aryans' thing is mostly a fantasy created by western converts into Hinduism, and their Hindu centric thinking. I don't think such crackpot theories are worth unbiased analysis.
kandal is online now  
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:00 PM   #8
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,151

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornada View Post
Its fundamentally a DNA study. Which means I'd wait for Peer Review. The English is problematic in many places, but that shouldn't be a critique of the arguments. However Academia is equivalent to maintaining a blog. It doesn't have any editorial standards. I say this, even as I maintain my own profile on the website. However, it does mean that you should be a little more careful, since there is no review of the material placed there.

If the evidence adds up for you then great. If like me, the science is too difficult to follow (in part because of the language constraints of the author) you might want to hold off on letting it factor into your conclusions
There is negligible mention of DNA (ancient or modern) and zero archaeological evidence.

Everything seems to hinge on the Phonetics and Grammar. If I interpret it correctly he sees a commonality in Dravidian and Sanskrit.

This has been noted before but the mainstream views this as Dravidian speakers substratum modifying Sanskrit.

But as you say its just a draft at the moment.
peccavi is offline  
Old August 10th, 2018, 01:14 PM   #9
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,290

But couldn't any DNA study that shows a flow out of India Lso be could equally be interpreted as a flow into India? Or both ways, both in and out?
Bart Dale is offline  
Old August 10th, 2018, 01:16 PM   #10

Naomasa298's Avatar
Modpool
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 30,818

So it's genetics. THREAD CLOSED.
Naomasa298 is offline  
Closed Thread

  Historum > World History Forum > Asian History

Tags
india



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After the partition of India, did India hope that Pakistan would rejoin it? Futurist Asian History 59 July 20th, 2018 10:42 PM
Why did western India and Bengal become Islamized while the rest of India did not? Futurist Asian History 77 August 23rd, 2016 11:22 AM
Did Khan of Kalat want to accede to India and why did India not accept greatstreetwarrior Asian History 20 November 18th, 2015 11:05 AM
Flags of pre-British India.And a related question:why India chose a rectangular flag? Abhishek Asian History 8 July 24th, 2015 02:35 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.