Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Asian History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Asian History Asian History Forum - China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific Region


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Citizen
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
What caused the downfall of the Mongol Empire?


My school history project is based on the Mongol Empire and my interpretation is "To what extent did the rapid rise of the Mongol Empire make it's demise inevitable from 1206-1368". I have enough information on Kublai Khan and Ghengis Khan but I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend me some websites and books focusing primarily on the downfall of the Mongol Empire. Thanks
Rixy is offline  
Remove Ads
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #2

DreamWeaver's Avatar
Misanthropologist
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Wales
Posts: 10,212
Blog Entries: 6

Its size and the nature of mongol succession.


Should be more than enough literature out there.
DreamWeaver is online now  
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #3

leakbrewergator's Avatar
Tiger of Kai
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Blue Ash, OH
Posts: 5,549
Blog Entries: 29

Do you have access to academic journal databases?
leakbrewergator is offline  
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #4

Mohammed the Persian's Avatar
Persicus Maximus
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Bahrain
Posts: 9,972
Blog Entries: 15

Just site protocol (you should read it , if you haven't) http://www.historum.com/homework-hel...-question.html

I'd suggest you go on Amazon and look for Mongol History books (worked for me when I went searching about the Middle East)
Mohammed the Persian is offline  
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 19,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
Its size and the nature of mongol succession.
Including of course mainly their fierce endemic internal power struggle.

A more subjective contributor often quoted would be the "corruption" of the military qualities of these purportedly frugal nomad warriors after their exposure to the "vices" of civilization.

On the OP, I don't think that the exceptional speed of the development of this state would have implied its demise.
sylla1 is offline  
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #6

DreamWeaver's Avatar
Misanthropologist
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Wales
Posts: 10,212
Blog Entries: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Including of course mainly their fierce endemic internal power struggle.

A more subjective contributor often quoted would be the "corruption" of the military qualities of these purportedly frugal nomad warriors after their exposure to the "vices" of civilization.

On the OP, I don't think that the exceptional speed of the development of this state would have implied its demise.

A matter of China 'conquering' and 'civillising' the outsider as it were.
DreamWeaver is online now  
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #7

gaius valerius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Belgium
Posts: 5,673

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
Its size and the nature of mongol succession.


Should be more than enough literature out there.
By extension it is what caused all states descending from Central Asian steppe people to crumble (unless they broke with it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylla1 View Post
Including of course mainly their fierce endemic internal power struggle..
Which also came from the fact that there was no such thing as "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!"-principle of succession and all sons had to get a share.
gaius valerius is offline  
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #8

Mandate of Heaven's Avatar
Ate too much
 
Joined: Jul 2010
From: Not sure what it is
Posts: 6,114

Well, China was at the power center of the Mogolian empire. And the Yuan dynasty established by the Mongools was among the shortest in Chinese history. It was less than 100 years, perhaps 80 some years. One big reason was that they never integrated Mongolian culture/people with that of Chinese(Han) culture/people. Mongols divided the people living in China into 10 ranks, and the segregation was enforced quite effectively.
Mandate of Heaven is offline  
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Lecturer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate of Heaven View Post
Well, China was at the power center of the Mogolian empire. And the Yuan dynasty established by the Mongools was among the shortest in Chinese history. It was less than 100 years, perhaps 80 some years. One big reason was that they never integrated Mongolian culture/people with that of Chinese(Han) culture/people. Mongols divided the people living in China into 10 ranks, and the segregation was enforced quite effectively.
I agree. On a sideline, i know that most chinese call themselves Han and i wonder why is that; i always thought of the Tang dynasty as more impressive than the Han dynasty.
Publius Aelius Hadrianus is offline  
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #10
rawr
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Los Santos, San Andreas
Posts: 4,494

The Mongol population is rather small and they only have limited warriors to enforce their empire. The different Khanates also contributed to the fall of the Mongol Empire. Rather than working together to preserve their culture, the Khans in China became increasingly sinofied while the Khans in the Middle East converted to Islam. Popular rebellions from the people Mongols treat as second class brought them down in the end.
mingming is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Asian History

Tags
caused, downfall, empire, mongol


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downfall KickKickWhales2 History in Films and on Television 28 August 23rd, 2013 04:06 AM
Mongol Empire remains unified Isoroku295 Speculative History 8 March 11th, 2010 05:50 AM
Mongol Empire - rise and fall salleuxe Medieval and Byzantine History 8 February 28th, 2010 06:54 PM
What are the factors that lead to the downfall of a nation/ empire? Which are more important and why Absurdname General History 16 November 9th, 2009 03:43 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.