Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Asian History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Asian History Asian History Forum - China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific Region


View Poll Results: Best Indian Prime Minister
Jawaharlal Nehru 9 39.13%
Lal Bahadur Shastri 0 0%
Indira Gandhi 3 13.04%
Morarji Desai 0 0%
Charan Singh 0 0%
Rajiv Gandhi 1 4.35%
V. P. Singh 0 0%
Chandra Shekhar 0 0%
P. V. Narasimha Rao 2 8.70%
Atal Bihari Vajpayee 8 34.78%
H. D. Deve Gowda 0 0%
Inder Kumar Gujral 0 0%
Manmohan Singh 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #1

The Historian's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 78
Best Prime Minister of India


Who do you think it is? My personal choice would be Nehru, seeing that he did not have the dictatorial tendencies of his daughter, Indira Gandhi or the corruption of some of those following her. I'd say the national and international images of Indian Prime Ministers has gone downhill a lot since Nehru. Also, Desai, Shastri and Vajpayee come in second, third and fourth for me respectively.
The Historian is offline  
Remove Ads
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #2

Cicero's Avatar
The Adequate
Mostly Harmless
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Tennessee
Posts: 7,829

I have no clue... but this is an area that I would like to learn about. Thanks for posting the issue and I will be lurking and learning. I would like to learn more about Indain Politics. Where to start? Books or recommended readings?
Cicero is offline  
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #3

The Historian's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I have no clue... but this is an area that I would like to learn about. Thanks for posting the issue and I will be lurking and learning. I would like to learn more about Indain Politics. Where to start? Books or recommended readings?
India After Gandhi by Ramachandra Guha (2007) is a good start.
The Historian is offline  
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #4

Lord_of_Gauda's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Canada
Posts: 6,518

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
Who do you think it is? My personal choice would be Nehru, seeing that he did not have the dictatorial tendencies of his daughter, Indira Gandhi or the corruption of some of those following her. I'd say the national and international images of Indian Prime Ministers has gone downhill a lot since Nehru. Also, Desai, Shastri and Vajpayee come in second, third and fourth for me respectively.
Meh, i would say its Vajpayee.
Nehru was too much of an idealist and as a result, his government suffered- IMO it should've been Sardar Patel for the first PM but he was no protege of Gandhi.
Nehru's idealism was definitely a hinderence to the success of the nation- his policies, especially war-time policies of first Indo-Pak war, Sino-Indian war was quite a let down in lacking decisiveness and a bigger picture.
IMO Nehru did not have a dictatorial streak like Indira because he was the defacto choice of the Congress party till the day he died.

Indira was quite decisive, bold and most importantly, had a huge hand in the reform of the civil service and military into a much more leaner, developing machine.
But her corruption and dictatorial streak was perhaps a tad too strong for my liking.
IMO, Vajpayee was the best India has seen, in terms of leading a decisive and bold administration, that is if anything, cynical in its realism than idealistic, with strong economic policies and by indian standards, a much less corrupt government.
His ability to cross party lines in Indian politics, to recruit people like MM Singh for economic minister (the guy is the most qualified economist in Indian politics as far as economics go) shows a distinct consideration to the bigger picture.
Lord_of_Gauda is offline  
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #5

The Historian's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_of_Gauda View Post
Nehru was too much of an idealist
What do you mean by 'idealist'? This is what Nehru said about Vajpayee: "He is a young leader of opposition who is always criticizing me. But I see in him a great future then."

Quote:
His ability to cross party lines in Indian politics, to recruit people like MM Singh for economic minister (the guy is the most qualified economist in Indian politics as far as economics go) shows a distinct consideration to the bigger picture.
This definitely is not true, as Manmohan Singh belonged to the opposition Congress party and Yashwant Sinha remained the Finance Minister throughout Vajpayee's tenure.
The Historian is offline  
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #6

The Imperial's Avatar
MentalManja
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: 3rd rock from Sol
Posts: 4,252
Blog Entries: 1

I want to vote Nehru, Indira and Manmohan (though all are Congress )
The Imperial is offline  
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #7

Greyter's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: Texas
Posts: 941

The NEXT one, by any measure.
Greyter is offline  
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #8

Mohammed the Persian's Avatar
Persicus Maximus
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Bahrain
Posts: 9,972
Blog Entries: 15

Gandhi was never the PM ?

I need to brush up my Sub-continent history.
Mohammed the Persian is offline  
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #9
Suspended until August 15th, 2014
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed the Persian View Post
Gandhi was never the PM ?

I need to brush up my Sub-continent history.
Mohandas Gandhi was not PM. He did not hold any official position AFAIK.

Indira Gandhi was PM I think four times. She was not a relative of M. Gandhi.

Ironically both were assassinated.
pikeshot1600 is offline  
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #10

Cicero's Avatar
The Adequate
Mostly Harmless
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Tennessee
Posts: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
India After Gandhi by Ramachandra Guha (2007) is a good start.
Thanks The Historian, I'll add that book to my ever growing list!
Cicero is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Asian History

Tags
india, minister, prime


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Prime Minister of UK. Swansong European History 201 January 13th, 2011 10:44 AM
Greatest President/Prime Minister Ever Loldog General History 25 August 27th, 2010 08:56 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.