Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Asian History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Asian History Asian History Forum - China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific Region


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #21
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Mountains and Jungles of Southern China
Posts: 3,492

Click the image to open in full size.


This Ji Li Huo Qiu (蒺藜火毬) or Caltrap Bomb was one of the earliest ancient Chinese gunpowder weapons, dated back to the 11th century Sung Dynasty. This type of bomb was made of multi-layers of papers wrapped together to form a paper ball, with gunpowder placed inside the ball. To increase its damage, the ancient Chinese would also put a few caltraps or a few iron spikes on the ball or inside the ball so that when the ball explodes, the caltraps and the iron spikes would spread around in all directions.

Click the image to open in full size.


Another type of primitive bomb used during Sung Dynasty was called Du Yao Yan Qiu (毒药烟毬) or the Poisonous Smoke Bomb. It was probably the world's first chemical weapon. It was also made of multi-layers of papers filled with gunpowder and some poisonous substances such as arsenic and croton. When this paper bomb started to burn, it would create a noxious smoke. It is said that the Sung navy used this type of primitive poisonous bomb to defeat the invading Jurchen Jin navy in the Battle of Caishi in 1161AD.
purakjelia is offline  
Remove Ads
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #22

DeliciousTomatoesYay's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Delaware & Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,202

Purak, did I ever tell you that your threads are > Awesome x 9001?
DeliciousTomatoesYay is offline  
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #23
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Mountains and Jungles of Southern China
Posts: 3,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTomatoesYay View Post
Purak, did I ever tell you that your threads are > Awesome x 9001?
Oh really ?! Thank you, I didn't expect that you would like my thread. I thought that nobody are interested in ancient Chinese weaponry and ancient Chinese warfare.
purakjelia is offline  
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #24

DeliciousTomatoesYay's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Delaware & Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by purakjelia View Post
Oh really ?! Thank you, I didn't expect that you would like my thread. I thought that nobody are interested in ancient Chinese weaponry and ancient Chinese warfare.
Dude if ancient Chinese weaponry & ancient warfare can be drugs, I'm probably more than addicted.
DeliciousTomatoesYay is offline  
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #25
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Mountains and Jungles of Southern China
Posts: 3,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTomatoesYay View Post
Dude if ancient Chinese weaponry & ancient warfare can be drugs, I'm probably more than addicted.
Yes, the ancient Chinese did use some poisonous or noxious substances in their battles, such as wolfsbane's poison, arsenic, sulfer, etc.
purakjelia is offline  
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #26

DeliciousTomatoesYay's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Delaware & Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by purakjelia View Post
Yes, the ancient Chinese did use some poisonous or noxious substances in their battles, such as wolfsbane's poison, arsenic, sulfer, etc.
Eh? O_O I'm suddenly confused...
DeliciousTomatoesYay is offline  
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #27
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Mountains and Jungles of Southern China
Posts: 3,492

Click the image to open in full size.


This is a picture of the Chuang Zi Nu (床子弩) or the Mechanical Siege Crossbow. It was a siege crossbow used during Tang and Sung dynasties. This siege crossbow was about 8 metres long, and it was comprised of three bows. It required a whole team of men to operate this siege crossbow. It also required a winch to turn the axle and to load the string on the trigger. Most of the time, it was used for defence, but it could certainly used for attack. Usually, this siege crossbow was fixed on top of city walls. This siege crossbow was extremely powerful, and it had a maximum range about 800 metres or more. The arrows of this siege crossbow were huge, and they could smash through almost anything; they could even penetrate walls.

This siege crossbow could also be used as a sniping weapon. It is said that during the Battle of Chanzhou in 1004AD, the famous Khitan general Hsiao Talin was killed by an arrow launched from a Sung Dynasty siege crossbow.
purakjelia is offline  
Old February 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #28

Jake10's Avatar
Guardian Knight
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Canada
Posts: 11,960
Blog Entries: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by purakjelia View Post
Click the image to open in full size.


This is a picture of the Chuang Zi Nu (床子弩) or the Mechanical Siege Crossbow. It was a siege crossbow used during Tang and Sung dynasties. This siege crossbow was about 8 metres long, and it was comprised of three bows. It required a whole team of men to operate this siege crossbow. It also required a winch to turn the axle and to load the string on the trigger. Most of the time, it was used for defence, but it could certainly used for attack. Usually, this siege crossbow was fixed on top of city walls. This siege crossbow was extremely powerful, and it had a maximum range about 800 metres or more. The arrows of this siege crossbow were huge, and they could smash through almost anything; they could even penetrate walls.

This siege crossbow could also be used as a sniping weapon. It is said that during the Battle of Chanzhou in 1004AD, the famous Khitan general Hsiao Talin was killed by an arrow launched from a Sung Dynasty siege crossbow.
Do you know what the cords were made of?
Jake10 is offline  
Old February 7th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #29

Kampfringen's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Alabama
Posts: 598

Cool thread. What are the periods of some of these weapons?

Caltrops are very common throughout the ancient world. The Greeks used them to deter calvary as well.
Kampfringen is offline  
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #30
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Mountains and Jungles of Southern China
Posts: 3,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake10 View Post
Do you know what the cords were made of?
I'm not quite sure about this, but my guess is that the materials would be similar to composite bows.
purakjelia is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Asian History

Tags
ancient, china, defense, siege, weapons



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Weapons Loved Losses War and Military History 46 November 14th, 2013 02:28 PM
Super Weapons of the Ancient World markdienekes History in Films and on Television 0 January 20th, 2012 04:06 AM
coolest ancient weapons chris zhou War and Military History 22 September 14th, 2010 03:46 PM
ancient egyptian siege & naval weapons oshron Ancient History 9 June 5th, 2010 12:04 PM
weapons used in war? reubengwapo War and Military History 16 February 26th, 2009 03:54 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.