Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Asian History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Asian History Asian History Forum - China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific Region


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #301
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: varanasi uttar pradesh, india
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by shash View Post
Snarking aside, here's a fairly interesting article by Iravatham Mahadevan: AGRICULTURAL TERMS IN THE INDUS SCRIPT
till now, dravidian hypothesis has not gained any unchallenged accepatnce so the article serves no purpose.

I can also give links in which SR Rao claims Indus script being of sanskrit like sounds and etc.
avantivarman is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #302
Scholar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: uk
Posts: 761
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinit View Post
Same terms are present in Gujarati grammer also. So than can I just claim that Sanskrit is derived from Gujarati language? obviously not. We have to take many other things into consideration, which is atleast expected from somebody who claims himself to be a scholar.
Really I am helpless. As I already explained to you unless untill you have little knowledge of Tamil literature, you all will continue to reject my justification. I know sanskrit very well as well as Tamil and had done much research in linguistics along with my friends who are also very familiar of 13 major languages of the world.

This forum is a intellectual forum and you study some books related to this subject as I have done then you decide whether I am wrong or not. But, if you consider this forum just a Leisure time(time killing forum) then what Can I do?
unmai53 is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:00 AM   #303
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: varanasi uttar pradesh, india
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmai53 View Post
Really I am helpless. As I already explained to you unless untill you have little knowledge of Tamil literature, you all will continue to reject my justification. I know sanskrit very well as well as Tamil and had done much research in linguistics along with my friends who are also very familiar of 13 major languages of the world.

This forum is a intellectual forum and you study some books related to this subject as I have done then you decide whether I am wrong or not. But, if you consider this forum just a Leisure time(time killing forum) then what Can I do?
first let us discuss on ghosundi inscription and then i will see how knowledgeable you are on sanskrit.



yes, " my friend " ( i have borrowed this from you ) do me this favour .


LET US TALK ON GHOSUNDI INSCRIPTION .
avantivarman is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #304
Lecturer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantivarman View Post
till now, dravidian hypothesis has not gained any unchallenged accepatnce so the article serves no purpose.

I can also give links in which SR Rao claims Indus script being of sanskrit like sounds and etc.
I just said interesting... Not settled!

I'm just pointing out his actual research, so that people can see that, rather than second-hand arguments.
shash is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #305
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: varanasi uttar pradesh, india
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by shash View Post
I just said interesting... Not settled!

I'm just pointing out his actual research, so that people can see that, rather than second-hand arguments.
anyway, i do believe that IVC might be dravidian speaking but rationalist in head of this " mere upstart kid " says just shut up on things unknown and which will never be known .

the reason i jump in such threads is that i wish some of tamil friends accept this but i have found it is hard to convince anybody on this forum even if you have proofs so until and unless someone makes some snide remarks on how sanskrit is derived from tamil or how kapatpuram was ancient carthage etc. i will try to be away from this ivc topic.

i promise i will start a thread on how tamils were indebted to north indian culture extensively but that is for sometime later on.
avantivarman is offline  
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #306
Citizen
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Blog Entries: 1

there are many factors shows that indus valley is a Tamil civilization, the factors are,
* the writings found in harrapa, mohenjadaro are similar to the writings found in deep south aathichanallur. both are Tamil Bhrami writings.
* the coin of pandian king peruvaluthi has similar writings.
* the clays and other sand objects are made in the same method.
so why the India government is not allowing the Tamilnadu's state government to excavate aathichanallur because they know the truth about it.
pk murugesan is offline  
Old December 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #307

Cadell's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: Southern Vermont
Posts: 366

What would this mean for Tamils? A sense of superiority? My ancestors were, without exception, swineherds and minstrels until maybe 500 years ago and it doesn't bother me a bit. If I discovered tomorrow I was genetically linked to a great and ancient civilization it wouldn't change anything.
Cadell is offline  
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #308

Jinit's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: India
Posts: 3,393
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadell View Post
What would this mean for Tamils? A sense of superiority? My ancestors were, without exception, swineherds and minstrels until maybe 500 years ago and it doesn't bother me a bit. If I discovered tomorrow I was genetically linked to a great and ancient civilization it wouldn't change anything.
Basically they are already part of great civilizations. Their ancestors conquered most of the South east Asia at one time. They have very rich heritage, literature, architecture and traditions. They are the one who kept the hinduism alive when much of the north India was being steam roled by Islamic Jihad. So they already have so many things for which they can feel proud.

All this nonsense that Tamil is mother of all the languages, they are the fathers of Indian civilizations is started because of the politics particularly language politics of South India. They are using all these nonsense to stir the public emotions and get more votes.

Rise_of_Dravidian_parties_to_power_in_Tamil_Nadu Rise_of_Dravidian_parties_to_power_in_Tamil_Nadu
Jinit is online now  
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #309

beorna's Avatar
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Lower Saxony
Posts: 13,227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadell View Post
What would this mean for Tamils? A sense of superiority? My ancestors were, without exception, swineherds and minstrels until maybe 500 years ago and it doesn't bother me a bit. If I discovered tomorrow I was genetically linked to a great and ancient civilization it wouldn't change anything.
But I strongly suppose, you have no inferiority complex. That makes the difference, especially if there is as well a combination of personal and ethnic minority complex.
beorna is online now  
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #310

Cadell's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
From: Southern Vermont
Posts: 366

You're probably right, and I guess these kind of ethnic pissing contests can't be avoided (see: every thread that involves the Balkans).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beorna View Post
But I strongly suppose, you have no inferiority complex. That makes the difference, especially if there is as well a combination of personal and ethnic minority complex.
Cadell is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Asian History

Tags
indus valley


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ethnicity of The Indus Valley Civilization 1991sudarshan Ancient History 66 September 13th, 2012 07:39 PM
Linear A and Indus Valley Script Barbarossa Ancient History 40 September 4th, 2012 04:01 PM
some indus river valley questions dreamshadow3 History Help 4 February 18th, 2011 07:08 PM
Indus Valley Syed F. Inam Ancient History 3 November 19th, 2010 12:37 PM
Indus Valley celtman Ancient History 25 June 10th, 2010 02:07 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.