Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Asian History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Asian History Asian History Forum - China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific Region


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Dehradun
Posts: 1,936
Varanasi Past Present and Future


The Wonder That Was India was described as a land of a few pearls hidden among a lot of dung, by a traveler who followed the religion of peace.

I still see dung on the streets of my hometown and have never bothered to bend down and check.

This thread is about Varanasi - one of the most Holy Hindu cities. I remember watching a TV program which claimed that it is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world. However, Wikipedia says that it has that distinction only inside India. Anyways, more than three thousand years of continuous History is surely a thing worth being proud of.

There must be must inherent strength in the culture of Varanasi which has allowed it to survive so long. It must have seen lots and lots of cycles of boom and bust. Yet it did not vanish completely. Could it be because it has been founded by my favorite god Shiva and continues to stand on his trishool.

Someone must have founded Varanasi and during a certain time period it must have been at its zenith. There must be certain problems plaguing the current population of Varanasi. I am sure there is lots that can be done to improve Varanasi and make it better.

----

This thread is about the Race of the people who founded Varanasi. How the Racial composition of Varanasi changed over time. Under which Race was Varanasi at its peak and what is the Race of the present people of Varanasi. Are they racially superior to people living in certain other cities - and inferior to individuals of some other Indian regions? I would love to hear the thoughts of learn-ed members on this very interesting topic.

Click the image to open in full size.
Jhangora is offline  
Remove Ads
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: varanasi uttar pradesh, india
Posts: 1,610

are you serious on those racial queries?
avantivarman is offline  
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: varanasi uttar pradesh, india
Posts: 1,610

The only thing i can say about Varanasi is that there is no city in world that has greater antiquity, greater continuity and greater population veneration all three combined than Varanasi.

Varanasi has been heart of Indian civilization throughout last 3 milennia and i hope it is even today or i would not have seen people from andhra coming here in 21 st century with their simple devotion.


its history is a mirror of indian history as it tells us that no matter how hard you try to destroy indian civilization, it can not be done and the strength of Varanasi is strength of India that is WORLD'S OLDEST CONTINOUS CULTURE.
avantivarman is offline  
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #4

Jinit's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: India
Posts: 3,524
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantivarman View Post
are you serious on those racial queries?
I think the thread should be dedicated towards the general discussion of varanasi rather than limiting it to the racial discussion only.
Jinit is online now  
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #5

Jinit's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: India
Posts: 3,524
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantivarman View Post
The only thing i can say about Varanasi is that there is no city in world that has greater antiquity, greater continuity and greater population veneration all three combined than Varanasi.

Varanasi has been heart of Indian civilization throughout last 3 milennia and i hope it is even today or i would not have seen people from andhra coming here in 21 st century with their simple devotion.


its history is a mirror of indian history as it tells us that no matter how hard you try to destroy indian civilization, it can not be done and the strength of Varanasi is strength of India that is WORLD'S OLDEST CONTINOUS CULTURE.

What about the archeological findings? have ASI found any ancient ruins or buildings in varanasi yet?
Jinit is online now  
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Dehradun
Posts: 1,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantivarman View Post
are you serious on those racial queries?
I wonder what makes you think I am always trying to be funny and sarcastic avantivarman? I am very serious about how to beef up the Racial Stock of present day Varanasi so that the lost glory of the past can be regained.

Believe me - a couple of weeks later I am going to start a thread on the Racial Stock of our Vedic ancestors too, and I expect some honest answers from you brother.

Considering your knowledge of Indian History is much wider than me - I hope you will be a positive influence in that thread as well.

So, shall we start with trying to find out the Race of the people who started it all. Were the first folks to populate what is Varanasi now ----> White Caucasian Vedic Aryans?
Jhangora is offline  
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: varanasi uttar pradesh, india
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinit View Post
What about the archeological findings? have ASI found any ancient ruins or buildings in varanasi yet?
In Rajghat, ASI has unearthed some city walls, advanced pottery and some metal works dating to 900 bc.

by the way, mauryan lion capital was unearthed from Sarnath and since that is some 2300 years old, i think it is quite ancient but apart from that barring terracota sculptures, Varanasi has not much to show before 500 bc.


but i do think apart from Greaco roman world, no part of world can show this type of quality sculpture in so remote an age( not even china)

Click the image to open in full size.
avantivarman is offline  
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: varanasi uttar pradesh, india
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhangora View Post
I wonder what makes you think I am always trying to be funny and sarcastic avantivarman? I am very serious about how to beef up the Racial Stock of present day Varanasi so that the lost glory of the past can be regained.

Believe me - a couple of weeks later I am going to start a thread on the Racial Stock of our Vedic ancestors too, and I expect some honest answers from you brother.

Considering your knowledge of Indian History is much wider than me - I hope you will be a positive influence in that thread as well.

So, shall we start with trying to find out the Race of the people who started it all. Were the first folks to populate what is Varanasi now ----> White Caucasian Vedic Aryans?
1. believe me Jhangora, i am honest in telling you that i consider indian brand of caucasians as best looking on this planet and i find them really very handsome.

but the thing is that majority of indians are caucasians and so we can not tell whether Varanasi alone has such men.

i fail to find anything charming in mongoloids and this said, i have some further clarifications.


you say that you are serious in beefing up racial stock of Varanasi so that it can be improved.what is this? is this not blatantly wrong?

do you really believe that Varanasi is backward than Madurai because of race?

so far as my friend tell me, Madurai is peopled by men who look like adivasis( hope you know what they mean) but what does it have to do with backwardnes?

the temple builders in tamil nadu look like negroids but just see the wonders they have created. for me, virtues and intellect is more important and i have found that in all races of India . i admire caucasians in punjab only for looks and nothing else.



the lost glory of Varanasi can be revived by a proactive policy of those who love indian history and a good governance which in UP is a distant dream.
it has nothing to do with race as racial composition in Varanasi is same as it was in 1200 ad when Qutb din aibak looted 140 camel loads of wealth from the city.


now, so far as founding aspect is concerned, people already lived here but the city was really founded by Vedic aryas somewhere around 1400 bc and frankly the aryas were somewhat different from the pre existing population
and i repeat that the y were caucasians but not white like americans.

to make picture clear, just think some 6-7 thousand men resembling Manoj Kumar founded the city. this is what i can tell you if you really want to know the looks and races of founders of Varanasi.
their race was same as that of Manoj kumar and it is your job to put Manoj kumar in the category you like.
avantivarman is offline  
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #9
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: varanasi uttar pradesh, india
Posts: 1,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinit View Post
I think the thread should be dedicated towards the general discussion of varanasi rather than limiting it to the racial discussion only.
You are right but Jhangora is serious on racial matters and i do not have any option than to tell what i feel.
avantivarman is offline  
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Dehradun
Posts: 1,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantivarman View Post
1. believe me Jhangora, i am honest in telling you that i consider indian brand of caucasians as best looking on this planet and i find them really very handsome.

but the thing is that majority of indians are caucasians and so we can not tell whether Varanasi alone has such men.

i fail to find anything charming in mongoloids and this said, i have some further clarifications.


you say that you are serious in beefing up racial stock of Varanasi so that it can be improved.what is this? is this not blatantly wrong?

do you really believe that Varanasi is backward than Madurai because of race?

so far as my friend tell me, Madurai is peopled by men who look like adivasis( hope you know what they mean) but what does it have to do with backwardnes?

the temple builders in tamil nadu look like negroids but just see the wonders they have created. for me, virtues and intellect is more important and i have found that in all races of India . i admire caucasians in punjab only for looks and nothing else.



the lost glory of Varanasi can be revived by a proactive policy of those who love indian history and a good governance which in UP is a distant dream.
it has nothing to do with race as racial composition in Varanasi is same as it was in 1200 ad when Qutb din aibak looted 140 camel loads of wealth from the city.


now, so far as founding aspect is concerned, people already lived here but the city was really founded by Vedic aryas somewhere around 1400 bc and frankly the aryas were somewhat different from the pre existing population
and i repeat that the y were caucasians but not white like americans.

to make picture clear, just think some 6-7 thousand men resembling Manoj Kumar founded the city. this is what i can tell you if you really want to know the looks and races of founders of Varanasi.

their race was same as that of Manoj kumar and it is your job to put Manoj kumar in the category you like.
I have no objection to your personal preferences concerning the different brands of Caucasians avantivarman.

So who were the adivasis living in the land at that time?

Let's consider a hypothetical scenario. 6-7 thousand men resembling Manoj Kumar descend on what is now Varanasi, armed with the fabled Aryan weapons and riding the now legendary chariots. They have destroyed a few hundred dark Dravidian fortifications on their way of course.

We know that Manoj Kumar does not like admixture with non-Aryan adivasis - but he has to produce offspring if he wants Varanasi to have lakhs of Manoj Kumars 3000 years later. Considering that none of the Manoj Kumars of the then land have a female reproductive system - we'll have to bring in a few thousand Asha Parekhs as well. I hope you won't object since the present day Gujarat and Varanasi have the same blood - as is proved by the conduction of the Satya Narayan Katha on important auspicious occasions - in the modern times!
Jhangora is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > Asian History

Tags
varanasi, varanasi-race


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FARC - Past, present and future Bluehawk American History 1 September 17th, 2012 07:36 PM
Red light districts, past and present larkin Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 10 February 28th, 2012 12:55 PM
BOXERS, PAST & PRESENT TomZart Ancient History 0 January 30th, 2008 07:25 AM
Seperating Past and Present Dr Realism General History 13 August 27th, 2007 03:49 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.