Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > Asian History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Asian History Asian History Forum - China, Japan, Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia-Pacific Region


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:39 PM   #81

Naomasa298's Avatar
Modpool
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 29,964

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittgenstein View Post
Japan was the only country occupied by the US? Philippines,... and many many more.
You just said the post WW2 occupation was unique. Was it, or wasn't it?

Quote:
Also,Google Kanagawa and you will find that it was short lived and it did not mean the subjugation of Japan to US interests.
And if you bother to read further on it, you will see WHY it was short-lived, and why similar treaties with other countries were not. Japan escaped domination BECAUSE it successfully modernised, not the other way around.
Naomasa298 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:53 PM   #82
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Feb 2008
From: trapped inside a hominid skull
Posts: 6,041

I never said that Japan was the only country occupied by the US (scroll back). I said that Japan was unique because it was not exploited. Or at most,minimally, especially when compared to the Philippines etc.
wittgenstein is offline  
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:56 PM   #83

Naomasa298's Avatar
Modpool
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 29,964

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittgenstein View Post
I never said that Japan was the only country occupied by the US (scroll back). I said that Japan was unique because it was not exploited. Or at most,minimally, especially when compared to the Philippines etc.
Well then, whatever you want to call it, perhaps the post WW2 occupation had something to do with its first world status.
Naomasa298 is offline  
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:57 PM   #84
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Feb 2008
From: trapped inside a hominid skull
Posts: 6,041

OK, Japan escaped domination and exploitation because it modernized, strengthened its military etc. Please explain how that contributes to your argument. Actually,. I think it strengthens my position.
wittgenstein is offline  
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:58 PM   #85
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Feb 2008
From: trapped inside a hominid skull
Posts: 6,041

Before WW2 Japan was already a world power.
wittgenstein is offline  
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:04 PM   #86

Naomasa298's Avatar
Modpool
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 29,964

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittgenstein View Post
OK, Japan escaped domination and exploitation because it modernized, strengthened its military etc. Please explain how that contributes to your argument. Actually,. I think it strengthens my position.
Cause and effect. You implied that the lack of foreign domination is why Japan is a first world country. In fact, Japan WAS dominated by foreign powers, it simply managed to throw off that domination within 30 years. I'm sure you can work out why and how through reading for yourself.
Naomasa298 is offline  
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:05 PM   #87

Naomasa298's Avatar
Modpool
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 29,964

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittgenstein View Post
Before WW2 Japan was already a world power.
Yes, it was. But on its own, that doesn't explain its position in the world today.

In fact, this is now wildly off topic. If you want to continue this line of discussion, open a new thread and I will respond there.
Naomasa298 is offline  
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:25 PM   #88
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Feb 2008
From: trapped inside a hominid skull
Posts: 6,041

Yes,it does explain its position today. If Japan had not been a world power before WW2, it would not have had strategic significance after WW2. If it lacked strategic significance, we would have exploited it like we did the Philippines and like Britain exploited India.
Are you claiming that Japan was subjugated and exploited for 30 (after Perry) years by the US?
If you are claiming that the US dominated Japan for 30 years after WW2, I already explained that.I agree that Japan was dominated (actually that is a bit strong, they did have a lot more freedom then the Philippines under the US) by the US. However, they were not exploited.

Last edited by wittgenstein; January 21st, 2013 at 04:33 PM.
wittgenstein is offline  
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:28 PM   #89

Naomasa298's Avatar
Modpool
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: T'Republic of Yorkshire
Posts: 29,964

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittgenstein View Post
Yes,it does explain its position today. If Japan had not been a world power before WW2, it would not have had strategic significance after WW2. If it lacked strategic significance, we would have exploited it like we did the Philippines and like Britain exploited India.
No, it doesn't. It had strategic significance before it was a world power, which was exactly why the US sought to dominate it in the first place with its unequal treaties. Now, like I said, if you want to take this discussion further, please open another thread and let this one get back to its original discussion.
Naomasa298 is offline  
Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:24 AM   #90

Belisarius's Avatar
Dominus Historiae
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: U.K.
Posts: 10,312

Guys, take your own advice. This would be an interesting topic on its own.
Belisarius is offline  
Closed Thread

  Historum > World History Forum > Asian History

Tags
gdp, india, myth, stolen, wealth



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Myth of Bushido and the "Code of The Samurai" leakbrewergator Asian History 23 June 17th, 2013 05:46 PM
The word "Tudor" is claimed to a myth Master Chief European History 59 July 30th, 2012 03:38 AM
"The 1% are the very best destroyers of wealth the world has ever seen" corrocamino Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 0 November 10th, 2011 10:49 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.