Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > History Help Forum > Career Guidance
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

Career Guidance Career Guidance - Discuss topics on history professions and career paths


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #1
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Italy
Posts: 956
Paid archaeology jobs/research projects


Hello all,

I am seeking PAID employment or research projects in Italy. Nowadays, for the "privilege" of participating in archaeological excavation, even the volunteers are required to pay for their very modest accomodation and meals for the duration of the dig, as well as contributing hefty participation fees. I don't think that this is at all fair. The volunteers, even if they have some specialized knowledge, and constrained to labour like shovel-bums under the scorching sun. They gain nothing, except "experience"; only the hard work, and none of the recognition or glory of discovery, ever goes to them.

I am completely self-taught in archaeology and prehistory, and am currently seeking paid opportunities to contribute my knowledge, such as it is.

Can anyone give me some leads?
reitia is offline  
Remove Ads
Old August 26th, 2017, 10:18 AM   #2

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 19,832
Blog Entries: 19

probably you're following the public way. It requests to win a public contest ... no, no, no. look for private employers. If you've got numbers you will find a well payed job in Italy.

Which is your proper field of research?
AlpinLuke is offline  
Old August 27th, 2017, 04:42 AM   #3
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Italy
Posts: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinLuke View Post
probably you're following the public way. It requests to win a public contest ... no, no, no. look for private employers. If you've got numbers you will find a well payed job in Italy.

Which is your proper field of research?
Aegean prehistory, Hellenic and Hellenistic history, pre-Hellenic, pre-Indoeuropean and proto-Indoeuropean civilizations.

I've tried desperately to obtain a grant or scholarship from the public sector. Extremely difficult, especially considering that I don't have a FORMAL degree in archaeology (although my own personal studies of this discipline have given me competence and near-expertise in this field).
reitia is offline  
Old August 27th, 2017, 08:20 AM   #4

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 19,832
Blog Entries: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitia View Post
Aegean prehistory, Hellenic and Hellenistic history, pre-Hellenic, pre-Indoeuropean and proto-Indoeuropean civilizations.

I've tried desperately to obtain a grant or scholarship from the public sector. Extremely difficult, especially considering that I don't have a FORMAL degree in archaeology (although my own personal studies of this discipline have given me competence and near-expertise in this field).
A part Aegean prehistory, in Italy you can find all the rest you have mentioned. But ... Italy is so rich of prehistorical and historical treasures that we ignore a lot of them [don't tell Americans ... they get excited about a tower from 17th century!!! Come on ...].

Have you tried with Sicily? It's an autonomous administration and in Sicily there is the widest and best Hellenic archaeologic treasure [when I visited Greece I actually thought "why am I here? In Sicily there is well more about ancient Greece!"].

Then, that mention of "pre-Indoeuropean and proto-Indoeuropean" ... does this mean that you would be ready to join a team of scholars and researchers in Sardinia to work on the megalithic sites of the isle?
AlpinLuke is offline  
Old August 27th, 2017, 09:03 AM   #5
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Italy
Posts: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinLuke View Post
A part Aegean prehistory, in Italy you can find all the rest you have mentioned. But ... Italy is so rich of prehistorical and historical treasures that we ignore a lot of them [don't tell Americans ... they get excited about a tower from 17th century!!! Come on ...].

Have you tried with Sicily? It's an autonomous administration and in Sicily there is the widest and best Hellenic archaeologic treasure [when I visited Greece I actually thought "why am I here? In Sicily there is well more about ancient Greece!"].

Then, that mention of "pre-Indoeuropean and proto-Indoeuropean" ... does this mean that you would be ready to join a team of scholars and researchers in Sardinia to work on the megalithic sites of the isle?
Would I? With great pleasure!!!
reitia is offline  
Old August 27th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Western Eurasia
Posts: 3,425

is it legal in Italy to work as an archeologist without formal qualification, without a degree on that field?
Tulun is offline  
Old August 27th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #7
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Italy
Posts: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulun View Post
is it legal in Italy to work as an archeologist without formal qualification, without a degree on that field?
Certainly! There are so many amateur archaeologists and consultants in Italy. When they can find employment in this field, which is increasingly scarcer, they work on digs, in archaeological parks and museums, as artifact restorers, as contributors to specialized journals, even as guides...

Teaching archaeology in a university, however, almost always requires a specialized degree. So I have never been able to teach it in a university, because my own degree has nothing to do with archaeology.
reitia is offline  
Old August 27th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #8

deaf tuner's Avatar
hier is da feestje !!!
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Europe
Posts: 10,463
Blog Entries: 26

reitia, why don't You make Yourself degree then ?

You said You have a degree already. You can take some post-graduate thing (IDK the proper word, but You get what I mean). It can be based on Your degree's domain, but interdisciplinary - > linked to history / archeology. It's almost impossible to have a domain that can't be linked to history.

And unless You realy hate Your degree's domain, it's always interesting to make cross-domains research.
deaf tuner is offline  
Old August 27th, 2017, 10:29 PM   #9
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Italy
Posts: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaf tuner View Post
reitia, why don't You make Yourself degree then ?

You said You have a degree already. You can take some post-graduate thing (IDK the proper word, but You get what I mean). It can be based on Your degree's domain, but interdisciplinary - > linked to history / archeology. It's almost impossible to have a domain that can't be linked to history.

And unless You realy hate Your degree's domain, it's always interesting to make cross-domains research.
Dear Deaf Tuner,

I have a degree in literature, although my real passion has always been archaeology. My family insisted that I should NOT formally study archaeology: they claimed that archaeologists cannot earn a decent living (and, all things said and done, they were not far from being right).

Unfortunately, I think I'm too old to study for another degree now. Also my health and memory are not so good. At any rate, there are thousands of non-professional archaeologists and prehistorians in the world who have found ways to make their hypotheses and theories widely known. At this moment in my life, I'm seeking such a way.

What are the opportunities for independent researchers like myself to work in Belgium?

Last edited by reitia; August 27th, 2017 at 10:34 PM.
reitia is offline  
Old August 27th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #10

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 19,832
Blog Entries: 19

In Italy the degree in literature is enough to work as archaeologist, but only if it's "classical", with [as complementary matters] exams of ancient history, archaeology, history of art.

With a common degree in literature in the chart for a job as archaeologist you would be in a low place.

This, of course, doesn't mean to be officially an archaeologist [you would work with real ones], since in Italy there is a dedicated degree for who wants to be archaeologist or teach archaeology in a uni.
AlpinLuke is offline  
Reply

  Historum > History Help Forum > Career Guidance

Tags
archaeology, jobs or research, paid, projects



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Research projects of very long duration Fantasus Natural Environment 2 August 26th, 2014 02:49 PM
Surname mapping projects BenSt General History 24 April 9th, 2014 12:41 PM
History Based Art Projects rcleary171 Art and Cultural History 25 March 25th, 2014 08:43 PM
Some aspects of Vietnam War I could research and write a research paper on? curiositay History Help 5 February 20th, 2010 08:15 AM
US History Projects Comet History Teachers 0 April 11th, 2009 09:30 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.