Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > European History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

European History European History Forum - Western and Eastern Europe including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #281
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Sarmatia
Posts: 6,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Yes, Grimald. For example Dresden is also originally a Slavic city.
as well as Berlin or Leipzig which in Polish is still named in its original form "Lipsk" - a place where are many "Lipa" Trees - Linden
Mosquito is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #282
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: Czechoslovakia
Posts: 3,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
as well as Berlin or Leipzig which in Polish is still named in its original form "Lipsk" - a place where are many "Lipa" Trees - Linden
Yes, Lípa is it also in Czech
Excalibur is offline  
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #283
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Sarmatia
Posts: 6,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by beorna View Post
And the rest we give back, when Poles have handed out Poland to Vandals, Rugians and Goths
Vandals and Goths left but I have no problem if you claim north Africa and Spain after them. The last Rugians I know were a slavic tribe of slavic vikings.
Mosquito is offline  
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #284
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: -
Posts: 17,473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Vandals and Goths left but I have no problem if you claim north Africa and Spain after them. The last Rugians I know were a slavic tribe of slavic vikings.
The most left till 450, but there were still germanic groups when the first slavs came. In Little Poland germanic artefacts disappeared inthe 2nd half of the 5th century, in Central Poland probably till the beginning of the 6th century. In the North there are even findings till the mid 7th century.
You mean the Ranowie or Rujanie. That has nothing to do with the germanic Rugians.
But that has nothing to do with Bohemian history.
beorna is offline  
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #285
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Sarmatia
Posts: 6,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by beorna View Post
The most left till 450, but there were still germanic groups when the first slavs came. In Little Poland germanic artefacts disappeared inthe 2nd half of the 5th century, in Central Poland probably till the beginning of the 6th century. In the North there are even findings till the mid 7th century.
You mean the Ranowie or Rujanie. That has nothing to do with the germanic Rugians.
But that has nothing to do with Bohemian history.
Yes, Rani from Rugia were a lechitic tribe closelly related with Poles.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lechites]Lechites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Mosquito is offline  
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #286
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 3,760

Quote:
Post 187 by Edward
By the way, Czech Kingdom is called “Ingiltere Cek” in Turkish language


Beorna post191
Great joke, Edward . And that the Turks called it Czechs, wow, that's really the ultimative evidence against me postings!

Firstly, Beorna it was not evidence against your posting. You assume too much importance to yourself. It was a loose discussion between me and others, not you. Everybody stated what is the name of Czech Kingdom and most of the answer from east of Elbe was “Czech Kingdom”. You did not react to any of this post, but of course you must react to my.
So be it, you just must be yourself and this will never change. No hope at all. Thanks you for reading my post anyway.
I asked my colleague from work (he is of Turkish origin) what the name is, he used the ward Cek. It was just for curiosity reason only but your reaction obliged me to answer.
Now could we think why Turks use word “Cek”, not “Bohemia”?
Turks come to Europe as a last ethnic group and they had no luggage of Latin (or German) language influence. They just called the new countries they encountered by the name the inhabitans of encountered counteies actually used to call their state, not by Latin or German influence names.
The one before last ethnic group in Europe was the Ugro-Finish group including today Hungarians and Finish people. I do not haw Fins call Czech Kingdom, Hungarians call it by “Czech “name, not “Bohemia”. It is not a direct evidence but it is a very strong circumstantial evidence against you stand. Also, just keep in mind that Hungarian Kingdom is the “Hungarian Kingdom” not a “Pannonia Kingdom”.(as the Latin name will suggest)
Edward is offline  
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #287
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 3,760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechicus View Post
Just to complement all the original texts in Old Church Slavonic, Latin, Byzantine Greek, Middle High German, Old Czech, etc, which I quoted in my previous posts and which use the word Czech when describing the Bohemian/Czech state and spanning from the 10th century to the modern era, I'll add one example from the Habsburg era: when Charles VI was crowned king of Czechia (and yes, it's really the same as Bohemia ;-) ), in 1723, the authorities published a booklet commemorating this occasion called "Gaudium Universae Czechiae" in Latin, meaning "Joy of the Entire Czechia". Even Habsburgs joined the Czech nationalist conspiracy ;-). But seriously: the word Czechia was frequently used in the Latin texts in the Renaissance and especially Barock era, as a poetic equivalent of Bohemia.

I quit this discussion.
If sombody do not accept any evidence, you can help it. But the evidence is overwhelming for everyone who could be objective.
Edward is offline  
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #288
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: Czechoslovakia
Posts: 3,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
If sombody do not accept any evidence, you can help it. But the evidence is overwhelming for everyone who could be objective.
Exactly
Excalibur is offline  
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #289
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: -
Posts: 17,473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Yes, Rani from Rugia were a lechitic tribe closelly related with Poles.

Lechites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Swedish and English are as well close related to the germans...and?
The term lechitic is scientific, but probably our super-experts here with "E" will now probably blame me for this statement as they did it for the Bohemian statement. They evolved a similar language during the 7th and 10th century. But like the Germanics they were never a people.
BTW, the Germanic Rugii are not reported for the island of Rügen. The name may have the same origin, may have derived from it or the Rugians got it from that island or may have others reasons. The oldest name for the island is Roe, Roja and Reuna. With the discovery of tacitus' works the name Rugia (=Rügen) was introduced.
beorna is offline  
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #290
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: -
Posts: 17,473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
If sombody do not accept any evidence, you can help it. But the evidence is overwhelming for everyone who could be objective.
hey, a miracle. We agree here, don't we?
beorna is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > European History

Tags
czechoslovakia, early modern period, medieval, medieval europe, renaissance, slavs



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls Comet History in Films and on Television 4 September 13th, 2017 12:44 PM
Kingdom of Jones Gallic Gun War and Military History 12 October 20th, 2015 01:36 PM
Peaceful Kingdom plutoboyz General History 37 March 29th, 2010 08:00 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.