Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > European History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

European History European History Forum - Western and Eastern Europe including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2018, 04:45 PM   #1

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 12,284
Blog Entries: 8
Was it a German WWI war aim to bring back the French monarchy?


Was it a German war aim during World War I to bring back the French monarchy?

I know that the Germans planned to install a bunch of German princes as the monarchs of Germany's Eastern European puppet states after the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, but did they ever have any similar plans for France in the event of a German victory in the West?

France was one of the few republics in Europe during this time and thus I am wondering if Germany had already reconciled itself to France's republican form of government or if Germany would have tried to restore the French monarchy if it would have actually had a chance to do this.

Any thoughts on this?
Futurist is offline  
Remove Ads
Old August 7th, 2018, 04:56 PM   #2

Kotromanic's Avatar
McCartneynite-Lennonist
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Iowa USA
Posts: 4,093
Blog Entries: 1

It would be ironic if the victorious Germans decided that the former House of Oldenburg should be given the French throne. In that case, a relative of Tsar Nicholas II could become French King.
Kotromanic is online now  
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:00 PM   #3

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 12,284
Blog Entries: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotromanic View Post
It would be ironic if the victorious Germans decided that the former House of Oldenburg should be given the French throne. In that case, a relative of Tsar Nicholas II could become French King.
What connection did the House of Oldenburg have to France, though?
Futurist is offline  
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:08 PM   #4

Kotromanic's Avatar
McCartneynite-Lennonist
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Iowa USA
Posts: 4,093
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
What connection did the House of Oldenburg have to France, though?
hahaha...

If the "thunderstorm" warfare of the Imperial Germans had come off as planned and the "contemptibles" were kept out of the fight... I'm pre-supposing that the somewhat resentful Wilhelm would FIND a connection.

That is to say, none that I know of.

EDIT: maybe you have to have be rather sympathetic to old Wilhelm (as I am) to find any humor in this admittedly outlandish response...
Kotromanic is online now  
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:39 PM   #5
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2016
From: Dispargum
Posts: 2,621

Did WW1 Germany express any interest at all in the long term future of France? They didn't in 1870 nor very much in 1940. Bismarck did not even want to annex Alsace-Lorraine, and the very existence of Vichy France tells me that Hitler at least initially planned to one day withdraw from France turn the whole country over to the Vichy government. I suspect Germany's WW1 policy toward France may have been similar.
Chlodio is offline  
Old August 7th, 2018, 05:47 PM   #6

Kotromanic's Avatar
McCartneynite-Lennonist
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Iowa USA
Posts: 4,093
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlodio View Post
Did WW1 Germany express any interest at all in the long term future of France? They didn't in 1870 nor very much in 1940. Bismarck did not even want to annex Alsace-Lorraine, and the very existence of Vichy France tells me that Hitler at least initially planned to one day withdraw from France turn the whole country over to the Vichy government. I suspect Germany's WW1 policy toward France may have been similar.
If Germany had won a war of duration under 9 months (over before mid summer of 1915) and presuming her navy had minimal losses, it seems likely Germany would demand some French territory in Africa and possibly the Western Hemisphere. The Germans might need a pliable French government for a period of several years to help them assume control of the overseas colonies?

However, I don't seriously think that the Germans saw the imposition of a monarchy as a practical course.
Kotromanic is online now  
Old August 7th, 2018, 07:03 PM   #7
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: Las Vegas, NV USA
Posts: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
What connection did the House of Oldenburg have to France, though?
The last king of France (Louis Phillip) was a Bourbon. Who would the legitimate heir in 1914 be?

Last edited by stevev; August 7th, 2018 at 07:05 PM.
stevev is online now  
Old August 7th, 2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Posts: 3,314

Dear Futurist your question is hllariously ironic.Why? Kaiserine Germany brought about the downfall of the Russian monarchy by transporting Vladimir Ilyich Lenin-who subsequently had the entrire Russian royal family murdered at Ektrinburg- smuggled into Russia in 1917 to bring down the Russian monarchy and knock Russia out of the aliied side of the war -which he did .So the German Hohenzollern dynasty brought down the Romanov dynasty
So the Germans were nto in the business of restoring monarchies -rather more interested in abolishing monarchies like the Romanovs in Russia in 1917-18. which they did by smugging a Communist demagogue like Lenin into Russia.
Pendennis is offline  
Old August 7th, 2018, 07:40 PM   #9

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 12,284
Blog Entries: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevev View Post
The last king of France (Louis Phillip) was a Bourbon. Who would the legitimate heir in 1914 be?
Philippe, Count of Paris (lived 1869-1926).
Futurist is offline  
Old August 7th, 2018, 07:40 PM   #10

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 12,284
Blog Entries: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendennis View Post
Dear Futurist your question is hllariously ironic.Why? Kaiserine Germany brought about the downfall of the Russian monarchy by transporting Vladimir Ilyich Lenin-who subsequently had the entrire Russian royal family murdered at Ektrinburg- smuggled into Russia in 1917 to bring down the Russian monarchy and knock Russia out of the aliied side of the war -which he did .So the German Hohenzollern dynasty brought down the Romanov dynasty
So the Germans were nto in the business of restoring monarchies -rather more interested in abolishing monarchies like the Romanovs in Russia in 1917-18. which they did by smugging a Communist demagogue like Lenin into Russia.
Lenin was sent to Russia after the Russian monarchy was already overthrown, though.
Futurist is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > European History

Tags
aim, bring, french, german, monarchy, war, wwi



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Russia to bring back the battleship? stevev War and Military History 4 February 24th, 2018 02:37 PM
What extinct creature would you like to bring back? BenSt Natural Environment 210 February 11th, 2018 10:14 PM
Why did Germany start the FDR, and not bring back a Kaiser? notgivenaway European History 22 August 11th, 2016 02:48 AM
Did the German Social Democrats want to overthrow the German monarchy before 1918? Futurist European History 9 December 12th, 2015 09:17 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.