Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > European History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

European History European History Forum - Western and Eastern Europe including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #91

Farinal's Avatar
Chapuller
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Constantinople
Posts: 2,180

Ignore and report the racist and harmful messages for the sake of the thread everyone.
Farinal is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #92
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farinal View Post
Ignore and report the racist and harmful messages for the sake of the thread everyone.
Im not racist at all, in fact i speak Azeri so if you like we can discuss in Turkish, but i am stating facts when looking at genetics of "Turks" of anatolia.
Kamissick is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #93

Niki86's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Balkans
Posts: 1,190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamissick View Post
Im not racist at all, in fact i speak Azeri so if you like we can discuss in Turkish, but i am stating facts when looking at genetics of "Turks" of anatolia.
very well show us your facts then
Niki86 is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #94
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki86 View Post
very well show us your facts then
I know why your so defensive, i know Greeks hate being associated with Turks even though if you visit Istanbul or Athens you cant tell the people apart.

Facts are on the web, its so simple. Simply search genetics of Turks in Turkey
Kamissick is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #95

MinoanGoddess's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
From: New York City
Posts: 1,636
Blog Entries: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed the Persian View Post
No really, I've just noticed this after zooming onto Cyprus on a google maps app. It seems to be divided into North (which I assume, based on the name ) is Turkish and the South which is ...Cyprus ? But also, 2 tiny bits are also British-owned too
I'm wondering why has this island been carved up ?

And why do I have a feeling it involves the Greek-Turkish Grudge ?

Here's a map from the BBC
Click the image to open in full size.
And here are the Brits' base:

Click the image to open in full size.
I read a lot of comments on here which are very wrong. First, the island is divided due to politics, not because the people want it that way! We lived on the island peacefully with each other until the invasion. And it is very very wrong to say we dispise/or hate Turkish people or Turkish Cyprians as we do not have hate in our hearts. We have bitterness yes for what happened but we the people had no control. Our lives, our destinies were destroyed and then controlled by governments who used us the people as pawns in a game! To this day our lives have been lost, destroyed and compromised!!!!! None of you suffered and none of you witnessed the war. So words of hate should not be mentioned on here.

Last edited by MinoanGoddess; November 7th, 2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: update
MinoanGoddess is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #96

Belisarius's Avatar
Dominus Historiae
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: U.K.
Posts: 9,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamissick View Post
Im not racist at all, in fact i speak Azeri so if you like we can discuss in Turkish, but i am stating facts when looking at genetics of "Turks" of anatolia.
Which has nothing to do with the OP. If this thread cannot be discussed calmly and rationally it'll go into the Chamber and the person or persons deemed responsible will be suspended.
Belisarius is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #97
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post
Which has nothing to do with the OP. If this thread cannot be discussed calmly and rationally it'll go into the Chamber and the person or persons deemed responsible will be suspended.
Listen carefully, were not living in the times of the Gestapo for you to be scaring me. I dont visit this website at all, and could care less. Do it you pan-Turk.
Kamissick is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #98

Ancientgeezer's Avatar
Revisionist
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Closer to Calais than to Birmingham
Posts: 4,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamissick View Post
Listen carefully, were not living in the times of the Gestapo for you to be scaring me. I dont visit this website at all, and could care less. Do it you pan-Turk.
Well, that's you gone pal!
Ancientgeezer is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #99

infestør's Avatar
Surprise pølse!
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Ẍ
Posts: 3,816
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaunâ View Post
Which nations were living together peacufully not only in Cyprus, before the rise of nationalism.
yes. nationalism indeed did wonders in yugoslavia and bulgaria(!)
i don't really know how peacefully people were living in cyprus before its independence but at least they weren't killing each other.

as for a reunification i think the southern part is not really sincere about it. i mean they are pretty well off economically thus have the upper hand. what can the northern part possibly benefit them? plus there is the issue of giving back the land (who gives what to who), even if there was some sort of reunification. i think it will stay a dead lock for another half century.

i would also like to say that turkey sort of abandoned TRNC. so it should feel some guilt for the turkish cypriots. TRNC very well might be an unrecognized state but it is not incorporated as a city/province. main sectors there are gambling and private universities. there could have been investments toward tourism or even a tax haven for turkey. but there aren't. because the mentality of all turkish gvmnts so far has been "TRNC will cease to exist in some point of time, so why bother?".

Last edited by infestør; November 7th, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
infestør is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #100

arras's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Slovakia
Posts: 12,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post
I never made any accusations, it just that for the most part the reality is and has always been, that "conquered" and "conquerors" get on with their lives and rarely do you find true widespread "oppression" throughout history. The word gets used by so called revolutionaries, rebels and nationalists post-facto, to create a national myth where the now departed "conquerors" were all brutal monsters, hell bent on rapine and exploitation, etc.
So what you say is basically that conquerors do not oppress conquered, at last for most part and all this oppression is fake and made up by ungrateful chauvinistic conquered?
arras is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > European History

Tags
cyprus, divided


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Realm Divided Aelfwine Speculative History 1 August 22nd, 2009 01:43 PM
Cyprus - any secrets you'd like to share? Patheya Ancient History 16 September 27th, 2008 03:35 AM
A divided empire old_abe Ancient History 2 November 1st, 2006 10:17 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.