Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > European History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

European History European History Forum - Western and Eastern Europe including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #321

astafjevs's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Bristol, England
Posts: 734

Surely this has ceased to be a history thread and become a current event?

Interesting segue in that article from loyalists rioting to republican rocket launchers! Not exactly two sides of the same coin.

I maintain that these riots have more in common with last years English riots than they do The Troubles. It's trouble (small t) for the sake of trouble.
astafjevs is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #322

Von Ranke's Avatar
Produce of Scotland
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Thistleland
Posts: 3,913

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Michael Collins View Post
You boyos just wait until I have access to a keyboard again!

This thread has suddenly become useful in a completely unexpected way.
This better be good Sir, says Von Ranke impatiently tapping his feet while waiting for the General to get his keyboard fixed.
Von Ranke is offline  
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #323

Crystal Rainbow's Avatar
The Good Knight
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Cumbernauld Scotland
Posts: 9,890
Blog Entries: 50

I have just watched the News, it makes the News when there is coverage shown of idiots in track suits out on the streets hurdling missiles at police. Oh well they are not doing their case any good by doing that.
Crystal Rainbow is offline  
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #324
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Bolton, UK
Posts: 1,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by astafjevs View Post
It's trouble (small t) for the sake of trouble.
It's trouble because the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, which made Britain and her army shamefully surrender to the terrorists and gangsters of the IRA thanks to pressure from a Bill Clinton who desperately wanted the Irish American vote, states that the flag of the United Kingdom shall only be flown in Northern Ireland - a part of the United Kingdom - for just 17 days of the year. The Loyalists are right to be angry.
Brunel is offline  
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #325
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Bolton, UK
Posts: 1,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linschoten View Post
failing to take account of the fact that the Unionists there are not British but Irish
Not according to their passports, they're not.
Brunel is offline  
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #326

astafjevs's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Bristol, England
Posts: 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel View Post
It's trouble because the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, which made Britain and her army shamefully surrender to the terrorists and gangsters of the IRA thanks to pressure from a Bill Clinton who desperately wanted the Irish American vote, states that the flag of the United Kingdom shall only be flown in Northern Ireland - a part of the United Kingdom - for just 17 days of the year. The Loyalists are right to be angry.
On one specific building.

On my several visits to Northern Ireland, one thing I have noticed is they're not short on flags.
astafjevs is offline  
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #327
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Bolton, UK
Posts: 1,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by astafjevs View Post
On one specific building.

On my several visits to Northern Ireland, one thing I have noticed is they're not short on flags.
The city council voted to fly the Union Flag, the only official flag of Northern Ireland, for just a few days every year.

No wonder there are angry people. The Union Flag should be flown on all governnment and public building in Northern Ireland throughout the year.

There should be no pandering to the Republicans, who now make up a significant minority of the people of Northern Ireland. Even most NI Catholics are Unionists. In fact, a poll from last year shows that NI Catholics are more Unionist than the English. It is thought that the Northern Irish Catholics don't want to be part of a country which unwisely decided to join the doomed Euro.

So I'm not surprised that there are protests in Northern Ireland over the removal of the Union Flag. It was a despicable decision and I'm with the protesters all the way on this one.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ed...-kingdom-last/
Brunel is offline  
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #328

Sicknero's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Here to Eternity
Posts: 3,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel View Post
...In fact, a poll from last year shows that NI Catholics are more Unionist than the English. ...
I'd like to find the original stats. I'm just guessing but I think that people polled in NI would be more likely to have a considered opinion than their English counterparts, many of whom probably don't care either way.
Sicknero is online now  
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #329
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Bolton, UK
Posts: 1,749

Quote:
I'm just guessing but I think that people polled in NI would be more likely to have a considered opinion than their English counterparts, many of whom probably don't care either way.
The English are just as British as as their Northern Irish counterparts. Their views on the Union are as relevant as those of the people of Northern Ireland and polls do show that the English are less Unionist than not only the Northern Irish but the Scots as well.
Brunel is offline  
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #330

Sicknero's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Here to Eternity
Posts: 3,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel View Post
The English are just as British as as their Northern Irish counterparts. Their views on the Union are as relevant as those of the people of Northern Ireland and polls do show that the English are less Unionist than not only the Northern Irish but the Scots as well.
Yes, absolutely. I didn't say that English views are any less relevant. What I meant, was that were I to stand in an English town centre asking people's views on the Union, then I'd probably get a whole lot more "Don't know"s than if I did the same in NI.
Sicknero is online now  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > European History

Tags
glorious, ireland, northern


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are people from Northern Ireland considered British or Irish? GeordieHistoryLover European History 26 February 6th, 2011 11:41 AM
Northern Ireland - UK Paint Scheme loque76 War and Military History 7 November 23rd, 2010 04:05 AM
Northern Ireland a United Nations protectorate Artabazus Speculative History 9 September 15th, 2010 05:30 AM
The Troubles in Northern Ireland Karina European History 6 February 12th, 2009 11:43 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.