Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > European History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

European History European History Forum - Western and Eastern Europe including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2017, 04:26 AM   #1041

Linschoten's Avatar
nonpareil
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Wessex
Posts: 12,979
Blog Entries: 11

It seems that some Hungarian frogs at least still speak ancient Greek.
Linschoten is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 9th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #1042
Citizen
 
Joined: Dec 2017
From: romania
Posts: 6

maybe this map will give some hints
Click the image to open in full size.
soka norman is offline  
Old December 9th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #1043

deaf tuner's Avatar
hier is da feestje !!!
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Europe
Posts: 10,686
Blog Entries: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by soka norman View Post
maybe this map will give some hints
Click the image to open in full size.
What historical period is represented on that map ?
deaf tuner is offline  
Old December 9th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #1044

Lucius's Avatar
the governed self
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Nebraska
Posts: 15,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaf tuner View Post
What historical period is represented on that map ?
Yes, inquiring minds want to know if it is BC or AD.

I guess AD
Lucius is offline  
Old December 9th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #1045

deaf tuner's Avatar
hier is da feestje !!!
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Europe
Posts: 10,686
Blog Entries: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Yes, inquiring minds want to know if it is BC or AD.

I guess AD
Maybe.

But I think either BC, either AD, it's a bit early to talk about "Italian" or "Romanian" languages. On "Pannonian", I admit IDK a lot (meaning ... nothing, as I didn't heard that much about)
deaf tuner is offline  
Old December 9th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #1046
Archivist
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: Neverland
Posts: 132

When the romans withdrew their legions from Dacia Felix in 271 AD, most of the population went south of the Danube with them. In light of gothic bloody incursions in Dacia, Moesia, Thrace and Illyricum, it became a life and death question for the old dacian population to stay unprotected and exterminated.

The romans settled most of the population to Moesia, Thrace and Illyria, as the name Moesia Inferior and parts of Thrace were renamed to Dacia Ripensis.Some were settled in Panonia.

With the coming of hungarians in the Panonian Plains, wallahians/romanised slavs, avars, illyrians, celts/ were pushed eastward into the lands of present day Romania, thus establishing the nucleus of the future Wallachia.

Most of today's Romania is not so much dacian or getae, but romanised subjects being pushed out of Panonia. A number of roman speakers will also join the state entity in the centuries to come.

We can trace the beginnings of Romania in the 1300s and latin displacing slavonic in liturgy and print in the 1600s.
Bleda is offline  
Old December 9th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #1047

Perix's Avatar
Golan&Imbarligator
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Romania
Posts: 9,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaf tuner View Post
Maybe.

But I think either BC, either AD, it's a bit early to talk about "Italian" or "Romanian" languages. On "Pannonian", I admit IDK a lot (meaning ... nothing, as I didn't heard that much about)
Indeed! Is rather altogether vulgar latin language
Perix is offline  
Old December 9th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #1048

Dreamhunter's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Malaysia
Posts: 5,150
Blog Entries: 1

What about the Moldovans? They're closely related to the Romanians, right? Perhaps also descended from Getae & Dacians. No?
Dreamhunter is offline  
Old December 9th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #1049

Perix's Avatar
Golan&Imbarligator
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Romania
Posts: 9,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
When the romans withdrew their legions from Dacia Felix in 271 AD, most of the population went south of the Danube with them. In light of gothic bloody incursions in Dacia, Moesia, Thrace and Illyricum, it became a life and death question for the old dacian population to stay unprotected and exterminated.
Probably the urban zones populations withdrew. I doubt even think the roman capacities were able to withdrew, and settle all population. As for the gothic danger, is overrated. They had no capacity to exterminate every village, neither the eventual booty would motivated them. It would meant to spread their forces, to face guerilla warfare everywhere, instead to settle a covenant with the locals, with a formal tribute and feudatory system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
The romans settled most of the population to Moesia, Thrace and Illyria, as the name Moesia Inferior and parts of Thrace were renamed to Dacia Ripensis.Some were settled in Panonia.
Probably!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
With the coming of hungarians in the Panonian Plains, wallahians/romanised slavs, avars, illyrians, celts/ were pushed eastward into the lands of present day Romania, thus establishing the nucleus of the future Wallachia.
not only eastward, but also north

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
Most of today's Romania is not so much dacian or getae, but romanised subjects being pushed out of Panonia. A number of roman speakers will also join the state entity in the centuries to come.
I'd add that even they were not such much proper getae/Dacians, they used to identify with them within the Empire, as a local identity, to distinguish from other roman citizens. Also, don't forget, it is you who affirmed Dacians from north Danube settled in Moesia...Panonia, after 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleda View Post
We can trace the beginnings of Romania in the 1300s and latin displacing slavonic in liturgy and print in the 1600s.
Romania appeared in 1871.The first Romanian state, in 1300s. Romanians probably around 700
Perix is offline  
Old December 9th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #1050

Perix's Avatar
Golan&Imbarligator
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Romania
Posts: 9,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamhunter View Post
What about the Moldovans? They're closely related to the Romanians, right? Perhaps also descended from Getae & Dacians. No?
Moldovans appeared also at the end of 1300s, as a state, after the ruler Dragos descended from Transilvania. The first rulers called their country Wallachia, or moldavian Wallachia. Moldavia was just a small region in northern later Moldavia, where Dragos established his court.
Perix is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > European History

Tags
language, romania, romanian



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would been prolonged WWII, if not romanian defection? Perix European History 19 March 24th, 2014 01:25 AM
Sources for Romanian peasants revolt 1907 and chichibu interest European History 0 December 9th, 2011 06:22 PM
Hello from Romania playeru New Users 16 July 13th, 2009 02:54 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.