Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > European History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

European History European History Forum - Western and Eastern Europe including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #91
vid
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: Slovakia
Posts: 1,608

To the original question: They just let Jews register themselves as such. And also, let's not forget the basic method when somebody was suspected: "pants down!". All that despite Nazi "racial science" and sophisticated rules on who's what part of Jew.
vid is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #92

Angelica's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Angel City
Posts: 1,924

Birth certificate is plausible it seems to be the best record for identification.

I don't mean to deviate I read the diary of Anne Frank and I cried afterwards it was horrible how she came to her death....Hitler was a sociopath and to add to the craziness historians believe he had Jewish heritage although it was never proven.

Angelica is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #93
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Bulgaria
Posts: 1,985
Blog Entries: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
To the original question: They just let Jews register themselves as such. And also, let's not forget the basic method when somebody was suspected: "pants down!". All that despite Nazi "racial science" and sophisticated rules on who's what part of Jew.
^^ Now you can't go wrong with this method.


Also, when the Nazi party came to power, they made all of the Jews to add a prefix to their names like "Israel" for the men and "Sarah" for the women, so that it will be easy to track them down later.

I once watched a movie where the Nazis captured a couple of Soviet soldiers and they took out the ones with curly hair and shot them because they suspected them to be Jews. Now that method is not that efficient, obviously.

However, since then every time I see a person with curly hair I automatically assume they are Jewish. Seriously, I have been watching way too many historical movies and that's not good...
Stefany is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #94

rehabnonono's Avatar
inveterate antagonist
 
Joined: Oct 2009
From: the Boomtown Shenzhen
Posts: 2,178

I asked...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehabnonono
How could the Soviet Union grow to such a huge country, if the population was 180 million at the time of the Revolution and they then lost 120 million to communists counter-revolutionaries et al?
and then there was this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beorna View Post
The Russian Empire lost some territories. Does somebody has the population figures of these countries? If yes, then we first should subtract them from these 180 million in 1917 (if these figure is correct). Then one could at least compare it with the 1926 census (if this is correct).
If there was a population loss in these period, it is not necessary one caused by the Soviets, but probably first of all by the civil war and other wars, even by the white and the western support.
So that figure is in your estimation wrong?
rehabnonono is offline  
Old November 8th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #95

rehabnonono's Avatar
inveterate antagonist
 
Joined: Oct 2009
From: the Boomtown Shenzhen
Posts: 2,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
Birth certificate is plausible it seems to be the best record for identification.

I don't mean to deviate I read the diary of Anne Frank and I cried afterwards it was horrible how she came to her death....Hitler was a sociopath and to add to the craziness historians believe he had Jewish heritage although it was never proven.
Right and the point I am trying to make is that there were many people like Anne Frank who were in hiding could not be physically inspected. Inspections did not find six million Jews. They were found by computer punch cards cross checking census information with names of hidden Jews already registered as just Germans or Poles etc. in those areas.

The first German estimates put the figure at 400,000 Jews. Then the IBM computers found an astonishing 2 million people, many of whom never identified as Jews. That's when the really large scale mass murder took place. Without the computers they would have found around a little over one million Jews... but with the computers they found 6 million many whom claimed they did not even know they had a Jewish relative.
rehabnonono is offline  
Old November 8th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #96
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Bulgaria
Posts: 1,985
Blog Entries: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehabnonono View Post
Right and the point I am trying to make is that there were many people like Anne Frank who were in hiding could not be physically inspected. Inspections did not find six million Jews. They were found by computer punch cards cross checking census information with names of hidden Jews already registered as just Germans or Poles etc. in those areas.

The first German estimates put the figure at 400,000 Jews. Then the IBM computers found an astonishing 2 million people, many of whom never identified as Jews. That's when the really large scale mass murder took place. Without the computers they would have found around a little over one million Jews... but with the computers they found 6 million many whom claimed they did not even know they had a Jewish relative.
How could have the Nazis used computers when my countryman John Atanasoff invented them in 1942 and at that time many Jews were already dead?
Stefany is offline  
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #97

infestør's Avatar
Surprise pølse!
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Ẍ
Posts: 3,830
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefany View Post
How could have the Nazis used computers when my countryman John Atanasoff invented them in 1942 and at that time many Jews were already dead?
punch card tabulation databases were invented long before 1942. they are not really computers as we know today.
infestør is offline  
Old November 8th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #98

beorna's Avatar
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Lower Saxony
Posts: 12,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefany View Post
How could have the Nazis used computers when my countryman John Atanasoff invented them in 1942 and at that time many Jews were already dead?
Z3 (computer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
beorna is offline  
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #99

Nemowork's Avatar
Teflon Soul
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: South of the barcodes
Posts: 5,050

Which might have been theoretically capable but didnt work and needed more development.

Colossus was the first generally functioning and practical computer even if nobody knew about it for 30 years because of wartime secrecy.
Nemowork is offline  
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #100

beorna's Avatar
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Lower Saxony
Posts: 12,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemowork View Post
Which might have been theoretically capable but didnt work and needed more development.

Colossus was the first generally functioning and practical computer even if nobody knew about it for 30 years because of wartime secrecy.
There are several computers in the 40th, stefany's Atansaoff-Berry-computer, your colossus, the Mark I and ENIAC in the USA and Zuse's Z3 and Z4. It depends on the definition, which was the first.
beorna is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > European History

Tags
jew, knew, nazis


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
German officers who called Nazis Nazis crcook84 European History 11 March 17th, 2012 09:03 AM
Were the Nazis Atheists? Salah War and Military History 135 June 11th, 2010 11:48 AM
Bury the Nazis wittgenstein Speculative History 5 April 9th, 2010 06:51 PM
USA and the Nazis MarkA War and Military History 63 November 10th, 2009 05:20 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.