Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > European History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

European History European History Forum - Western and Eastern Europe including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #1

Brisieis's Avatar
Historian
Member of the Year
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: Egotistical.Apes.Ruining.This.Habitat
Posts: 17,472
Blog Entries: 8
Katherine Parr and Queen Elizabeth


How did Katherine Parr influence Elizabeth? Did she have a lasting affect on the then soon to be Queen of England?


Click the image to open in full size.
Brisieis is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Bulgaria
Posts: 1,985
Blog Entries: 6

According to historian Alison Weir, Kathrine Parr was the only wife of Henry VIII who treated the young Elizabeth well. She made sure the princess received the best education possible and often visited her at her castle.
Elizabeth also lived at her home when Parr was no longer a queen.

However, when Henry VIII died, Kathrine Parr married Thomas Seymour who tried to sexually harass Elizabeth when she was 14. Kathrine didn't know about that, but when she did found out, she sent Elizabeth away from her husband.

Later, everything was revealed and Thomas Seymour was beheaded, but staying on topic, Kathrine was very kind to Elizabeth unlike the previous wives of her father.
Stefany is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #3

Brisieis's Avatar
Historian
Member of the Year
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: Egotistical.Apes.Ruining.This.Habitat
Posts: 17,472
Blog Entries: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefany View Post
According to historian Alison Weir, Kathrine Parr was the only wife of Henry VIII who treated the young Elizabeth well. She made sure the princess received the best education possible and often visited her at her castle.
Elizabeth also lived at her home when Parr was no longer a queen.

However, when Henry VIII died, Kathrine Parr married Thomas Seymour who tried to sexually harass Elizabeth when she was 14. Kathrine didn't know about that, but when she did found out, she sent Elizabeth away from her husband.

Later, everything was revealed and Thomas Seymour was beheaded, but staying on topic, Kathrine was very kind to Elizabeth unlike the previous wives of her father.
But do you think that Katherine had an affect on who Elizabeth became as a woman and queen?
Brisieis is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #4

Kiki19's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: The Carolinas
Posts: 1,209
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisieis View Post
How did Katherine Parr influence Elizabeth? Did she have a lasting affect on the then soon to be Queen of England?


Click the image to open in full size.
Katherine Parr or Kate, had interesting relationship with Elizabeth. Elizabeth certainly respected the kindness Kate showed her and her siblings, and also shared a bond with Kate due her Protestant leanings. Elizabeth, along with Lady Jane Grey, also lived Kate for some time, but that's were it becomes difficult.
Thomas Seymour, Kate's husband after Henry died, is suspected of attempting to have a relationship with Elizabeth, who was only 14 at the time. Kate brushed it off as infatuation and did nothing stop Thomas's advances, to point where Elizabeth eventually stopped living Kate but the two still wrote to each other, and Elizabeth does to have genuinely mourned Kate's death the following year.
As to Kate's influence on Elizabeth, I do believe she had a great amount of influence on Elizabeth's views of Protestantism and how she embraced them for the rest of her life.
Kiki19 is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #5

funakison's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Between a rock and a hard place
Posts: 3,509
Blog Entries: 1

Found this link, it paints Katherine Parr in a very positive light and points to a very warm relationshop between her and the young Elizabeth.

Queen Katherine Parr (c.1512-1548) [Katharine, Catherine]
funakison is online now  
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #6

Kiki19's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: The Carolinas
Posts: 1,209
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefany View Post
According to historian Alison Weir, Kathrine Parr was the only wife of Henry VIII who treated the young Elizabeth well. She made sure the princess received the best education possible and often visited her at her castle.
Elizabeth also lived at her home when Parr was no longer a queen.

However, when Henry VIII died, Kathrine Parr married Thomas Seymour who tried to sexually harass Elizabeth when she was 14. Kathrine didn't know about that, but when she did found out, she sent Elizabeth away from her husband.

Later, everything was revealed and Thomas Seymour was beheaded, but staying on topic, Kathrine was very kind to Elizabeth unlike the previous wives of her father.
Actually all of Henry's wives were said to have good relationships with his children, the only exception being Anne Boleyn and Mary for obvious reasons.
Kiki19 is offline  
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #7

Louise C's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Southeast England
Posts: 7,241

Katherine Parr had a good influence on Elizabeth. She was good to all of Henry's children. She arranged for Elizabeth to share some lessons with her brother Edward, and later got her a tutor of her own, William Grindal. She and Elizabeth both had intellectual interests, and Eliabeth wrote letters to Katherine in Italian and Latin. She and Mary both spent prolonged periods at court during Katherine's time as Queen. During Katherine's time as Regent, while henry was away, Elizabeth spent a lot of time in her company,and probably seeing katherine manage affairs of state so well was an influence on her own confidence to rule when she became queen.

It is a great pity that their relationship ended so badly, with the extraordinary affair of Thomas Seymour, and his bizarre pursuit of Elizabeth when she was living with him and Katherine. It is still difficult to understand what was going on there.

But I wouldn't say Katherine was the only stepmother Elizabeth got on with. She was shown a lot of kindness by both Anne of Cleeves and Katherine Howard, and in fact she and Anne of Cleeves remained close friends until Anne's death in 1557.

Elizabeth's Women, by Tracy Borman, is a very good book about all the women who were important in Elizabeth's life and her relationships with them.
Louise C is offline  
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #8

Crystal Rainbow's Avatar
The Good Knight
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Cumbernauld Scotland
Posts: 9,990
Blog Entries: 51

Thank you ladies I have found this thread interesting, I have been thinking about Katherine Parr and about that lady who was tortured and burned at the stake. I think Henry VIII was the first king to sentence women to death by burning them at the stake or if they were more higher up in rank of nobility they got beheaded.
Crystal Rainbow is offline  
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #9

Kiki19's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: The Carolinas
Posts: 1,209
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Rainbow View Post
Thank you ladies I have found this thread interesting, I have been thinking about Katherine Parr and about that lady who was tortured and burned at the stake. I think Henry VIII was the first king to sentence women to death by burning them at the stake or if they were more higher up in rank of nobility they got beheaded.
Anne Askew, a fervent protestant and of decent standing.
But I don't think Henry VIII was the first in Europe or England to order it, as women being burnt at stake being used on Joan of Arc and with the act referenced in Le Mort d'Arthur, both in the 15th century. Most sentences were commuted to hanging, but it's not unreasonable to believe that the burnings did take place long before the Tudors came to the throne in England.
Kiki19 is offline  
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #10

Crystal Rainbow's Avatar
The Good Knight
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Cumbernauld Scotland
Posts: 9,990
Blog Entries: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki19 View Post
Anne Askew, a fervent protestant and of decent standing.
But I don't think Henry VIII was the first in Europe or England to order it, as women being burnt at stake being used on Joan of Arc and with the act referenced in Le Mort d'Arthur, both in the 15th century. Most sentences were commuted to hanging, but it's not unreasonable to believe that the burnings did take place long before the Tudors came to the throne in England.
I was just thinking of English history, was that the first burning at the stake in England. I think they had executed women before that but it was by hanging or beheading. I think Anne Askew was one of Catherine Parr's ladies in waiting.
Crystal Rainbow is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > European History

Tags
elizabeth, katherine, parr, queen


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Elizabeth Class Carriers. The Harlech man Speculative History 79 August 30th, 2014 02:39 PM
Elizabeth 1 & Mary Queen of Scots Tudor chick European History 41 August 8th, 2014 05:24 AM
is it really true that Queen Elizabeth BlackEurope600 European History 46 July 31st, 2014 05:09 PM
Robert Dudley - did he love Queen Elizabeth I ? halomanuk Medieval and Byzantine History 32 June 24th, 2012 11:51 PM
A guest meat larder for Queen Elizabeth I halomanuk European History 27 March 21st, 2012 08:51 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.