Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > European History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

European History European History Forum - Western and Eastern Europe including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #1

Jake10's Avatar
Guardian Knight
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Canada
Posts: 11,111
Blog Entries: 3
Origins of the Tour de France


So, this comes from apprentices and migrants working their way though the country? How did this originate? What did they have to do along the way? It took them years to complete, how did others know they had really done it?
Jake10 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2

funakison's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Between a rock and a hard place
Posts: 3,511
Blog Entries: 1

The first tour de france was sponsored by a newspaper and was the brainchild of Henri leGrand. First run in 1903, it took place at night and just about everyone and their brother was accused of cheating. One person was disqualified for putting his bike on the train. Others were suspected of being towed by their team cars. It was all a bit of a shambles.
funakison is offline  
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #3

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by funakison View Post
The first tour de france was sponsored by a newspaper and was the brainchild of Henri leGrand. First run in 1903, it took place at night and just about everyone and their brother was accused of cheating. One person was disqualified for putting his bike on the train. Others were suspected of being towed by their team cars. It was all a bit of a shambles.
Some things never change, I guess. I love cycling. I used to love le Tour de France. Well, one out of two ain't bad.
Rongo is offline  
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #4

Jake10's Avatar
Guardian Knight
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Canada
Posts: 11,111
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by funakison View Post
The first tour de france was sponsored by a newspaper and was the brainchild of Henri leGrand. First run in 1903, it took place at night and just about everyone and their brother was accused of cheating. One person was disqualified for putting his bike on the train. Others were suspected of being towed by their team cars. It was all a bit of a shambles.
Interesting, although I was thinking about the cultural practice more than the bicycle race.
Jake10 is offline  
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #5

funakison's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Between a rock and a hard place
Posts: 3,511
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
Some things never change, I guess. I love cycling. I used to love le Tour de France. Well, one out of two ain't bad.

You used to love le Tour, what back in the good old days of Lance Armstrong.

Now now, you cant win every year, besides Tejay Van Garderan is the real deal.
funakison is offline  
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by funakison View Post
You used to love le Tour, what back in the good old days of Lance Armstrong.

Now now, you cant win every year, besides Tejay Van Garderan is the real deal.
Lance Armstrong is the biggest spoiler of them all. I don't believe in any of them anymore. I do believe in myself though.
Rongo is offline  
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7

Jake10's Avatar
Guardian Knight
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Canada
Posts: 11,111
Blog Entries: 3

Guys, please don't turn this thread into a discussion about cycling.

Let's focus on the migrants before the 1850s who treked across France for various other reasons.
Jake10 is offline  
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #8

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake10 View Post
Guys, please don't turn this thread into a discussion about cycling.

Let's focus on the migrants before the 1850s who treked across France for various other reasons.
It had to be a horribly grueling journey, with the technology of the time, and without the drugs of our time.
Rongo is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #9

Jake10's Avatar
Guardian Knight
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Canada
Posts: 11,111
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
It had to be a horribly grueling journey, with the technology of the time, and without the drugs of our time.
Well, a lot of inn keepers along the way used to put clean bed sheets on in November, and they would replace them in March. Sleeping fully clothed kept some of the fleas from biting.
Jake10 is offline  
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #10

Rongo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Ohio
Posts: 5,685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake10 View Post
Well, a lot of inn keepers along the way used to put clean bed sheets on in November, and they would replace them in March. Sleeping fully clothed kept some of the fleas from biting.
I'm pretty sure I stayed in that hotel once.
Rongo is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > European History

Tags
france, origins, tour


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The unwanted Tour Eiffel ... AlpinLuke Art and Cultural History 1 July 16th, 2012 08:51 AM
Adam Ant Tour jegates Art and Cultural History 0 November 10th, 2011 05:24 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.