Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > European History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

European History European History Forum - Western and Eastern Europe including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #21

Eamonn10's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: Ireland
Posts: 1,495

Did the Japanese then give the information the polish gave them about Russia to the Germans? Were the poles indirectly helping the Germans as well?
Eamonn10 is offline  
Remove Ads
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #22

Mosquito's Avatar
bloody
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Sarmatia
Posts: 5,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn10 View Post
Did the Japanese then give the information the polish gave them about Russia to the Germans? Were the poles indirectly helping the Germans as well?
Hard to say. Poland was cooperating with Japan against Soviet Union and recived Japanese help against Germans. So far I know the scale of cooperation between Germany and Japan was much smaller than between Japan and Poland at least when it come to the secret services.
Anyway, because of cooperation with Poland, on the european theater Japan did act as unofficial ally.

Last edited by Mosquito; September 18th, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Mosquito is offline  
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #23

Eamonn10's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: Ireland
Posts: 1,495

Very interesting
Eamonn10 is offline  
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #24

Mosquito's Avatar
bloody
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Sarmatia
Posts: 5,426

Another interesting Polish secret agent was Kazimierz Leski. He did travel in occupied Europe in disguise as German general major Julius von Hallman. He visited Atlanctic Wall and drawed its detailed plans. He even visited feldmarshal Gerd von Rundtsted and his field Staff. The Germans have never realised that there is no such general in their army.


Kazimierz_Leski Kazimierz_Leski

Last edited by Mosquito; November 7th, 2013 at 05:29 AM.
Mosquito is offline  
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #25
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Hampshire
Posts: 221

Every country operates out of self-interest and the Poles were allegedly supplying arms, I assume secretly, to the Irgun in Palestine before World War II. Is this true and if so what did the Poles hope to gain as it must have affected the British attitude towards Poland.
Athelstan is offline  
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #26

Mosquito's Avatar
bloody
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Sarmatia
Posts: 5,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athelstan View Post
Every country operates out of self-interest and the Poles were allegedly supplying arms, I assume secretly, to the Irgun in Palestine before World War II. Is this true and if so what did the Poles hope to gain as it must have affected the British attitude towards Poland.
Yes, this is truth. In 1937 after meeting of Ze'ev Jabotinsky (leader of Irgun) with Polish leader marshal Rydz- Smigly the Jews in Palestine, especially IRGUN recived Polish help. Some members of Irgun (few tens, no more than 100) were sent to Poland and were trained in construction of bombs, use of many kinds of explosives and street fighting.
Some amount of arms was also send from Poland to Palestine to arm Irgun.

This is probably one of the reasons, why during WW2 when Polish troops stationed in Palestine the members of Irgun came to Polish commanders and told how to brand the trucks and cars of Polish army to make them look different than those of British army. Because Poles in the middle east were armed by British and dressed in British uniforms, the fighters of Irgun didnt want to attack Polish soldiers and vehicles.

Last edited by Mosquito; November 7th, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Mosquito is offline  
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #27
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Hampshire
Posts: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Yes, this is truth. In 1937 after meeting of Ze'ev Jabotinsky (leader of Irgun) with Polish leader marshal Rydz- Smigly the Jews in Palestine, especially IRGUN recived Polish help. Some members of Irgun (few tens, no more than 100) were sent to Poland and were trained in construction of bombs, use of many kinds of explosives and street fighting.
Some amount of arms was also send from Poland to Palestine to arm Irgun.

This is probably one of the reasons, why during WW2 when Polish troops stationed in Palestine the members of Irgun came to Polish commanders and told how to brand the trucks and cars of Polish army to make them look different than those of British army. Because Poles in the middle east were armed by British and dressed in British uniforms, the fighters of Irgun didnt want to attack Polish soldiers and vehicles.
Thanks. So what do you think the Polish Government had to gain by furthering the activities of groups like Irgun? How would a Jewish State help Poland?
Athelstan is offline  
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #28

Mosquito's Avatar
bloody
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Sarmatia
Posts: 5,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athelstan View Post
Thanks. So what do you think the Polish Government had to gain by furthering the activities of groups like Irgun? How would a Jewish State help Poland?
I have no idea why did Poland help the Jews and cant find any more informations about it. I will look for them but it is in general rarely known known fact.

I belive that one of the reasons was the fact that Poland had millions of citisens of Jewish nationality and it could have been to some extent their influence on the Polish goverment. (just like right now we can observe the influence of Jewish Americans on US goverment).
Mosquito is offline  
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #29

Mosquito's Avatar
bloody
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Sarmatia
Posts: 5,426

I have found some info in Wikipedia:

Lehi (group) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Others received military training from instructors of the Polish Armed Forces in 1938–1939. This training was conducted in Trochenbrod (Zofiówka) in Wołyń Voivodeship, Podębin near Łódź, and the forests around Andrychów. They were taught how to use explosives. One of them reported later:


"Poles treated terrorism as a science. We have mastered mathematical principles of demolishing constructions made of concrete, iron, wood, bricks and dirt".

I found information that Polish Intelligence Services smuggled to Palestine 20.000 MAUSER rifles and few hundrieds machine guns including 200 pieces of Hotchkiss machine gun.

Last edited by Mosquito; November 7th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Mosquito is offline  
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #30

Belloc's Avatar
Historical Sociologist
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: USA
Posts: 4,933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
I have found some info in Wikipedia:

Lehi (group) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia




I found information that Polish Intelligence Services smuggled to Palestine 20.000 MAUSER rifles and few hundrieds machine guns including 200 pieces of Hotchkiss machine gun.
That was prior to the war? Was Poland supportive of the Zionist cause at that time?
Belloc is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > European History

Tags
intelligence, polish, secret, services, ww2


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Privatisation of national assets and public services: for or against? Solidaire Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 85 February 28th, 2013 04:43 AM
Why was the secret protocol of the Anglo-Polish treaty of 1939 secret at all? sylla1 European History 7 October 10th, 2012 12:24 PM
When the Emsland became Polish - "Polish" towns at the Dutch border beorna European History 1 July 2nd, 2012 03:05 AM
Veterinary services in WWII Malena2011 War and Military History 0 December 6th, 2011 12:18 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.