Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > European History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

European History European History Forum - Western and Eastern Europe including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Russia


View Poll Results: Disraeli vs Gladstone
Benjamin Disraeli 12 41.38%
William Ewart Gladstone 17 58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #1

England Expects's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Jul 2015
From: Land of Hope and Glory
Posts: 86
Disraeli vs Gladstone


Who was the better Prime Minister, taking into account all the achievements (and failures) of their respective governments?
England Expects is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #2

DIVUS IVLIVS's Avatar
Bibliophile
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Virginia
Posts: 2,954

I much prefer Disraeli.
DIVUS IVLIVS is offline  
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #3

England Expects's Avatar
Academician
 
Joined: Jul 2015
From: Land of Hope and Glory
Posts: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVUS IVLIVS View Post
I much prefer Disraeli.
Yep, me too.
England Expects is offline  
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #4

Sam-Nary's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: At present SD, USA
Posts: 5,591

Gladstone for me. I saw him as far more liberal and more in tune with how Britain was to be viewed and what it stood for. And while it got him into a bit of trouble regarding the British response to the American Civil War.... his policies and ideology were more popular with Victoria when Albert was still alive.

Disraeli struck me as an imperialist in trying to make Britain great by taking on 3rd world powers and random tribes to make Britain great by expansion and adding colonies, often in places where Britain had little no reason to be... Not to mention that much of Disraeli's popularity with Victoria was more the result of a smooth tongue than anything else... either that or she really loved his romance novels...
Sam-Nary is online now  
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #5

Recusant's Avatar
Miscreant Erendrake
 
Joined: Sep 2009
From: Sector N after curfew
Posts: 2,458
Blog Entries: 1

In an earlier poll, I explained my somewhat shallow reason for voting for Disraeli (I find his personality more congenial). It will be interesting to see how the results of the two polls compare.

Last edited by Recusant; December 12th, 2015 at 07:15 PM.
Recusant is offline  
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #6

Renegade's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Gehenna
Posts: 545

Disraeli.
Renegade is offline  
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #7

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 11,081
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Expects View Post
Who was the better Prime Minister, taking into account all the achievements (and failures) of their respective governments?
Wasn't Gladstone more progressive than Disraeli was? If so, then I would probably vote for Gladstone.
Futurist is offline  
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #8

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 11,081
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Nary View Post
Gladstone for me. I saw him as far more liberal and more in tune with how Britain was to be viewed and what it stood for. And while it got him into a bit of trouble regarding the British response to the American Civil War.... his policies and ideology were more popular with Victoria when Albert was still alive.

Disraeli struck me as an imperialist in trying to make Britain great by taking on 3rd world powers and random tribes to make Britain great by expansion and adding colonies, often in places where Britain had little no reason to be... Not to mention that much of Disraeli's popularity with Victoria was more the result of a smooth tongue than anything else... either that or she really loved his romance novels...
Out of curiosity--wasn't the suffrage significantly expanded under Gladstone?

EDIT: Yes, this appears to have indeed been the case :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repres...eople_Act_1884

Last edited by Futurist; December 12th, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Futurist is offline  
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #9

Sam-Nary's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: At present SD, USA
Posts: 5,591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
Out of curiosity--wasn't the suffrage significantly expanded under Gladstone?

EDIT: Yes, this appears to have indeed been the case :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repres...eople_Act_1884
Not entirely aware on Gladstone's record with regards to suffrage in the UK... but he was well known for supporting polices that would be in line with "self-determination" with regards to dealing with other countries and their issues... and supported home rule in Ireland.
Sam-Nary is online now  
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #10

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 11,081
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Nary View Post
Not entirely aware on Gladstone's record with regards to suffrage in the UK... but he was well known for supporting polices that would be in line with "self-determination" with regards to dealing with other countries and their issues... and supported home rule in Ireland.
Thanks for this information! Thus, all of this, along with Gladstone's apparently more left-wing economic policies, would certainly make me prefer Gladstone over Disraeli.
Futurist is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > European History

Tags
disraeli, gladstone



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disraeli vs Gladstone Frank81 European History 10 February 9th, 2013 08:02 AM
Understanding Disraeli's Crystal Palace Speech hamilkar European History 1 March 17th, 2012 09:02 PM
Gladstone versus Disraeli? Julius Caesar European History 10 December 23rd, 2011 07:41 AM
Benjamin Disraeli's and Benjamin Franklin's attituds to war? Akiles European History 1 September 26th, 2009 11:19 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.