Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > General History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

General History General History Forum - General history questions and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2016, 07:20 AM   #1

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 22,168
Blog Entries: 19
The idol of your country ...


I was thinking to how Italians consider Giuseppe Garibaldi [the hero of two worlds].

For an Italian it's difficult to think to an other personage of our national history who deserves more honor. So let's say that Garibaldi is the "idol of Italians" [I know a part of Italians don't like him, but ...].

If you have to indicate the "idol" of the history of your own country ... who will be the favored historical personage?
AlpinLuke is online now  
Remove Ads
Old December 8th, 2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Monza, Italy
Posts: 1,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinLuke View Post
I was thinking to how Italians consider Giuseppe Garibaldi [the hero of two worlds].

For an Italian it's difficult to think to an other personage of our national history who deserves more honor. So let's say that Garibaldi is the "idol of Italians" [I know a part of Italians don't like him, but ...].

If you have to indicate the "idol" of the history of your own country ... who will be the favored historical personage?
My impression is that dislike for Garibaldi has raised a lot in the last years (I think about table-talk, but also persisten anti-Risorgimento storiography); maybe, as an Italian, I can think of other figures who are super partes, but at this moment I don't know.....the problem in out contry is that we're always divided (guelfi-ghibellini; right-left; pro-Risorgimento against revisionist, ecc...ecc....).
Lm1985 is offline  
Old December 8th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #3

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 22,168
Blog Entries: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lm1985 View Post
My impression is that dislike for Garibaldi has raised a lot in the last years (I think about table-talk, but also persisten anti-Risorgimento storiography); maybe, as an Italian, I can think of other figures who are super partes, but at this moment I don't know.....the problem in out contry is that we're always divided (guelfi-ghibellini; right-left; pro-Risorgimento against revisionist, ecc...ecc....).
That's the history of Italy: we have had national heroes, but time comes when it's more politically correct to look for super partes figures.

Who?

Even if you mention Alessandro Manzoni you will obtain a negative feedback from High School students who are forced to read his novel about a guy and a gal who wanted to get married, but they got troubles from a rude boss and some odd personages [a priest, a lawyer an "innominato", "nameless" ...]!!!.
AlpinLuke is online now  
Old December 8th, 2016, 09:41 AM   #4

Asherman's Avatar
Moderator
 
Joined: May 2013
From: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 3,013
Blog Entries: 34

George Washington stands alone.
Asherman is offline  
Old December 8th, 2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Monza, Italy
Posts: 1,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinLuke View Post
That's the history of Italy: we have had national heroes, but time comes when it's more politically correct to look for super partes figures.

Who?

Even if you mention Alessandro Manzoni you will obtain a negative feedback from High School students who are forced to read his novel about a guy and a gal who wanted to get married, but they got troubles from a rude boss and some odd personages [a priest, a lawyer an "innominato", "nameless" ...]!!!.
Ah that's true, but come on...Don Lisander was the author of what we could call the "grande romanzo italiano" (like Americans talk about the great American novel). Let's think about Dante Alighieri then...(literary heroes all the way!!).
Lm1985 is offline  
Old December 8th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #6

David Vagamundo's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 3,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinLuke View Post
. . .
Even if you mention Alessandro Manzoni you will obtain a negative feedback from High School students who are forced to read his novel about a guy and a gal who wanted to get married, but they got troubles from a rude boss and some odd personages [a priest, a lawyer an "innominato", "nameless" ...]!!!.
Darn--recently bought I Promessi Sposi and plan to read it early next year!

So no one in Italy thinks of Dante or Cicero or Cato anymore?
David Vagamundo is offline  
Old December 8th, 2016, 09:55 AM   #7
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Monza, Italy
Posts: 1,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vagamundo View Post
Darn--recently bought I Promessi Sposi and plan to read it early next year!

So no one in Italy thinks of Dante or Cicero or Cato anymore?
Cicero and Cato sound more Roman than Italian I think (as writer Prezzolini said in a critical way, we are more the result of a bunch of mixed races who invaded the peninsula and not the descendants of glorious Rome); Dante of course is studied for three years in all kind of high schools (Inferno-Purgatorio-Paradiso), and is also read and commented in different lecturae in squares around Italy (Benigni did a lot of lectures some years ago); if I would choose our national hero, I would say Dante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vagamundo View Post
Darn--recently bought I Promessi Sposi and plan to read it early next year!
I assure you, it's the kind of novel - and authro - that we Italian HATED as students, and appreciate when/if.... we read it as adults (even Edgar Allan Poe by the way thought the novel was cool).

Last edited by Lm1985; December 8th, 2016 at 10:32 AM.
Lm1985 is offline  
Old December 8th, 2016, 10:00 AM   #8

Kuroda Kanbei's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: The Netherlands
Posts: 838

For my nation it would definitely be our founder, William of Orange. I don't entirely agree with that. I think the far more maligned Maurits or forgotten William III outshine our founder by a great deal and in the case of Maurits actually saved the cause his father failed to achieve even before his death.


Quote:
So no one in Italy thinks of Dante or Cicero or Cato anymore?
I'd put Caesar far above those two and would even argue Cato is unqualified to be an idol to begin with.
Kuroda Kanbei is offline  
Old December 8th, 2016, 11:25 AM   #9

AlpinLuke's Avatar
Knight-errant
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Lago Maggiore, Italy
Posts: 22,168
Blog Entries: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vagamundo View Post
Darn--recently bought I Promessi Sposi and plan to read it early next year!

So no one in Italy thinks of Dante or Cicero or Cato anymore?
Wait ... I'm focusing my attention on unified Italy. Manzoni is considered one of the fathers of modern Italian.

You are mentioning someone superior and from a well more ancient "Italic" history.

Among the great personages you list, Dante is still well alive [Italians study his Commedia in the High School with Manzoni's novel ...], Cicero is immortal. May be Cato, out of Classic Lyceum is no more that popular.
AlpinLuke is online now  
Old December 8th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #10

Seabas's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Apr 2016
From: appartments
Posts: 422

Yuriy Gagarin
Seabas is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > General History

Tags
idol



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did Plato ever sacrifice an animal before an idol? Elise N Ancient History 3 January 16th, 2014 09:34 PM
What is this? (Egyptian idol) Midas Ancient History 46 October 8th, 2012 11:08 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.