Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > General History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

General History General History Forum - General history questions and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2018, 03:10 AM   #1
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Northern part of European lowland
Posts: 2,282
Stopping "ghost conflicts"?


Perhaps there is better words for it: Conflicts that in a way should be of the past, since the original reasons are not any more, but in a way has their own "ghostly afterlife". Like in the two states of Korea. In a way this "ghost war" should have stopped long ago, since it started as part of a superpower conflict long gone. So, the question is how many other conflicts, that really originates in a long gone outdated historical situation? How often is the original issue gone, and the continuation is senseless, but the tensions live on due to what we could call "inertia", or simply nobody has the energy or will to bring it to an end?
Fantasus is offline  
Remove Ads
Old June 13th, 2018, 03:59 PM   #2

RidiculousName's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Aug 2016
From: USA
Posts: 494

I think the Korean situation is pretty rare. Though, I'm not sure exactly how formal war had to be. One of the common misunderstandings between European settlers and Indians was based around how chiefs would sign peace treaties, but their braves would still form raiding missions independently. There have been violent hostilities between the two Koreas after the treaty was signed.
RidiculousName is online now  
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:34 PM   #3

Pillbox city's Avatar
Raposa
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Abilene, Texas
Posts: 2,989
Blog Entries: 1

I would say the South Alantic conflict between the Argies and the British but I'm not so sure if that would count as a ghost war due to how recent it was
Pillbox city is offline  
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:55 PM   #4

Robert165's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: North Georgia
Posts: 3,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasus View Post
Perhaps there is better words for it: Conflicts that in a way should be of the past, since the original reasons are not any more, but in a way has their own "ghostly afterlife". Like in the two states of Korea. In a way this "ghost war" should have stopped long ago, since it started as part of a superpower conflict long gone. So, the question is how many other conflicts, that really originates in a long gone outdated historical situation? How often is the original issue gone, and the continuation is senseless, but the tensions live on due to what we could call "inertia", or simply nobody has the energy or will to bring it to an end?
I'm not trying to be rude but wouldn't - a lot - of conflict be tied to past events? IRA vs England. Israel vs PLO. China and Taiwan and the USA? I mean all of these events have some current activity that keeps the conflict going but aren't all of these conflicts fueled by the past?

BTW I am not excluding it to these 3 events, they were the first that came to mind. But what about Russia and the Ukraine? Wasn't that a conflict that was a point of contention in the past as well? Or China and Tibet. That is both current and ongoing for a long time.
Robert165 is online now  
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:40 PM   #5
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Northern part of European lowland
Posts: 2,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
I'm not trying to be rude but wouldn't - a lot - of conflict be tied to past events? IRA vs England. Israel vs PLO. China and Taiwan and the USA? I mean all of these events have some current activity that keeps the conflict going but aren't all of these conflicts fueled by the past?

BTW I am not excluding it to these 3 events, they were the first that came to mind. But what about Russia and the Ukraine? Wasn't that a conflict that was a point of contention in the past as well? Or China and Tibet. That is both current and ongoing for a long time.
We don't disagree that the past is important for the conflicts mentioned above Still I think there Are many unsettled contemporary issues in those cases. I think we could make the distinktion between conflicts somehow with a past history (every conflicts) and those were the original causes, issues, can be seen as dead. As an example: Any conflicts were the Soviet was involved as Leader of the so Calles "socialist camp". That is of the past. But Russia has Still National interrsts.
Fantasus is offline  
Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM   #6
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Pomerium
Posts: 560

The "ghost conflicts" will stop once the tyrannical regimes and terroristic regimes stop bullying and threatening their neighbors and stop taunting and harassing the West.
Fenestella is offline  
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #7

TotalAaron's Avatar
No Relation. to stalin
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: Hunnic Empire
Posts: 4,872
Blog Entries: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenestella View Post
The "ghost conflicts" will stop once the tyrannical regimes and terroristic regimes stop bullying and threatening their neighbors and stop taunting and harassing the West.
What a odd world view. what country was Syria bullying?
TotalAaron is online now  
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #8
Scholar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Pomerium
Posts: 560

I don't know whether Syrian conflict fits OP's definition of "ghost conflict"
It seems to be several tyrannical regimes (Syria, Iran, et al.) fighting several terroristic regimes (Islamic State, Al Qaeda, et al.)
Fenestella is offline  
Old Today, 11:02 AM   #9
Lecturer
 
Joined: Apr 2018
From: France
Posts: 351

I am not sure that the point is centered. A "ghost conflict" is active because there is the interest at least from one side to keep it active. Economical interests, prestige, imperialism, simple survival spirit.

Until these interests are active at least in one side, and there is not enough strength in the other, the conflicts will remain active.
UlpiusTraianus is offline  
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #10

Res Ipsa Loquitur's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Belfast
Posts: 282

"Unconfirmed reports state that the town of Berwick on Tweed in north east England, remained officially at war with Russia between 1854 and 1914".
Res Ipsa Loquitur is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > General History

Tags
ghost conflicts, stopping



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Books on certain "Second Hundred Years' War" conflicts? weezer17 History Book Reviews 2 November 30th, 2015 10:08 AM
Historical Terminology of "Telangana", "Telugu", and "Andhra" civfanatic Asian History 20 September 28th, 2014 06:41 PM
Is "Ghost on the Throne" a good read about the Hellenistic Era? Kretan182 History Book Reviews 2 September 11th, 2014 04:27 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.