Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > General History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

General History General History Forum - General history questions and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #21
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thessalonian View Post
Though the earliest evidence of a spherical Earth comes from ancient Greek sources
The earliest evidence of a spherical earth comes from Hindu and Egyptian sources.

"The orb of the Earth is seen...." -- Vishnu Purana, Book I, Chapter IV

"They [Egyptians] consider that the world had a beginning and will have an end, and that it is a sphere ...." -- Diogenes Laertius, historian, Lives: Introduction, 3rd century

Quote:
there is no account of how the sphericity of the Earth was discovered.
There are several varying accounts.
Ostanes is offline  
Remove Ads
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #22
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Central Macedonia
Posts: 17,765
Blog Entries: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostanes View Post
The earliest evidence of a spherical earth comes from Hindu and Egyptian sources.

"The orb of the Earth is seen...." -- Vishnu Purana, Book I, Chapter IV

"They [Egyptians] consider that the world had a beginning and will have an end, and that it is a sphere ...." -- Diogenes Laertius, historian, Lives: Introduction, 3rd century


There are several varying accounts.
The Vishnu Purana was written between 800 and 300 BC, although what survives was written edited or recomposed during the Gupta era (300CE-500CE). Therefore, it is not certain that Hindus thought of that, before the Greeks . Regarding Egyptians, we definitely not know anything because Diogenes lived much later and could not know when Egyptians thought that the Earth was spherical. Therefore, the oldest known recorded opinion that the Earth was a sphere comes from the Greeks...from around 500 BC.
Thessalonian is offline  
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #23
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thessalonian View Post
The Vishnu Purana was written between 800 and 300 BC, although what survives was written edited or recomposed during the Gupta era (300CE-500CE). Therefore, it is not certain that Hindus thought of that, before the Greeks . Regarding Egyptians, we definitely not know anything because Diogenes lived much later and could not know when Egyptians thought that the Earth was spherical. Therefore, the oldest known recorded opinion that the Earth was a sphere comes from the Greeks...from around 500 BC.
If the Vishnu Purana was written in 800 B.C. as you claim then it predates Hesiod.
Ostanes is offline  
Old February 13th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #24
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Central Macedonia
Posts: 17,765
Blog Entries: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostanes View Post
If the Vishnu Purana was written in 800 B.C. as you claim then it predates Hesiod.

So, if it was written in 800 BC and if that version included the text that concerns Earth's shape then yes.
Thessalonian is offline  
Old November 20th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #25

Lucius's Avatar
the governed self
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Nebraska
Posts: 15,889

First experiment?

The pointy stick?
Lucius is online now  
Old November 21st, 2017, 10:37 AM   #26
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2015
From: Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,879

I don't know exactly what was the first formal scientific experiment.

But certainly all human and closely related persons must have made many informal experiments in their childhoods.

For example, I once read that every little boy found by experimentation that he could hang upside down and still manage to swallow. That is incorrect; I, for one, have never tried it, having enough trouble swallowing when upside right.

But certainly every little child learns about the world around them by passive observation and by making many experiments.
MAGolding is offline  
Old November 21st, 2017, 11:54 AM   #27

Lucius's Avatar
the governed self
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Nebraska
Posts: 15,889

Was the first experiment the one that led to drill stick technology?

Click the image to open in full size.
Lucius is online now  
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:18 AM   #28

Eryl Enki's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: Lemuria
Posts: 309
Blog Entries: 1

Anyone thought of this?

First almost perfect straight line on a solid object.
First 90 degree angle on a solid object
First almost perfect circle (from this a sphere, cone or cylinder).
Kind of easy for an educated man but not so easy for a primitive stone age man.

These were probably the first mathematical and by extension the first fairly advanced science experiments as opposed to natural observation and replication testing type of experiments. The former is the application of a mental construct in the real world.

Last edited by Eryl Enki; November 22nd, 2017 at 03:27 AM.
Eryl Enki is offline  
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:31 AM   #29

Eryl Enki's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: Lemuria
Posts: 309
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Was the first experiment the one that led to drill stick technology?

Click the image to open in full size.
My guess is their ancestors were sharpening a stick on another stick and realized this produces a cinder as a side effect. The technology caught on like wildfire and radically improved their life. LOL.

Last edited by Eryl Enki; November 22nd, 2017 at 03:40 AM.
Eryl Enki is offline  
Old November 22nd, 2017, 04:48 AM   #30

larkin's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,573
Blog Entries: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyisfun! View Post
Don't mean to knock Pythagoras, but I would think sex was the first scientic experiment.
Sex is biological. It is hard wired into the organism for the purpose of reproduction. It also functions as a grooming mechanism. The variations that you might consider experimentation, like oral sex are entirely natural nature because they involve the exchange of genetic material. It is a biological, not intellectual. If, like the bonobos, you try all the different methods of exchanging genetic material, eventually someone is going to get pregnant. That is the object. It is not experimentation, it is part of the sexual mechanism. It is society that imposes prohibitions.


Walking up-right?


Use of the first tool?


The thing that really initiated more experimentation than anything was fire.
larkin is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > General History

Tags
experiment, science



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kids Marshmallow Experiment/ Sophia Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 18 December 13th, 2010 06:34 AM
Sociological experiment/ Down Syndrome okamido Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 6 May 21st, 2010 06:38 AM
Normal Science is Lamp-Post Science coberst Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 1 August 11th, 2008 08:47 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.