Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > General History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

General History General History Forum - General history questions and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #91

Koba's Avatar
Archivist
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 172

One cannot prove a negative- there is no evidence that a sizable amount of Ukranians greeted the Germans as liberators outside of Galicia.
Koba is offline  
Remove Ads
Old November 24th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #92
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Winter View Post
Well,there was a time when it was generally accepted in the west that the sun revolves around the earth, now we know that it is exactly the opposite.

There are case papers of the trail, it's a document,but no one have ever seen reabilitation documents.Antistalinists simply declared plotters innocent.Today in Russia a few people have doubts in the reality of the plot in the Red Army.
Your point is interesting. I was reacting to the comments of the other poster that seemed to really try to whitewash the whole thing.

It is possible there was a real coup attempt that prompted the purge of the military. We know there was a real coup attempt against Hitler in 1944. In Germany, the truth of the plot was more or less brought out at the trials. This happened even at wartime and with a closed political system.

If there was a coup attempt against Stalin, the whole thing was sort of covered up. There wasn't much details made public.

Also, you have to understand the so many people were convicted based on all sorts of trumped up charges of sabotague, being British agents or whatever that people don't take these charges seriously.

Agreed the Khruschev Soviet antiStalinists and the US and allies had their own agendas and might have misrepresented things. However, since there wasn't much evidence brought out at the trials, it makes it easy to view the charges as baseless.
betgo is online now  
Old November 25th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #93

rehabnonono's Avatar
inveterate antagonist
 
Joined: Oct 2009
From: the Boomtown Shenzhen
Posts: 2,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Do you really think that if the Germans had taken Stalingrad, that it would have changed the outcome of the war?
No, but by not losing their much vaunted 6th Army they could have continued... They may have managed a push through to the oil fields at Baku. After that loss they did not have another strategic victory..
rehabnonono is offline  
Old November 25th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #94

rehabnonono's Avatar
inveterate antagonist
 
Joined: Oct 2009
From: the Boomtown Shenzhen
Posts: 2,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
Maginot Line
It was not the line so much as the ability to circumvent it that was the big mistake. Underestimating the Heer.
rehabnonono is offline  
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #95
Citizen
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 32

France and Britain not doing anything when German annexed the Czech Republic probably, just because Germany was weak at that moment and the Allies would just destroy Germany. And yeah of course we have the ''classics'' like Battle Of Britain and focusing on USSR instead of Britain.
WorldWar4 is offline  
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #96
Archivist
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Earth
Posts: 147

Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor (Japanese behavior towards conquered peoples and POWs). Germany allowing Hitler's plan to attack the Soviet Union (and unable protect and losing their country to the Soviets) comes in second.
machinecult is offline  
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #97

funakison's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Between a rock and a hard place
Posts: 3,177
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinecult View Post
Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor (Japanese behavior towards conquered peoples and POWs). Germany allowing Hitler's plan to attack the Soviet Union (and unable protect and losing their country to the Soviets) comes in second.

Of course in hindight we can judge Operation Barbarossa as a disaster for the Germans and therefore a huge mistake, but on the evidence available to Hitler in the spring of 1941 it did look a good bet. The disasters of Russias Winter War against Finland made th Soviet Union look weak, almost every one allied and axis alike thought it would be a walkover
funakison is offline  
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #98
Archivist
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Earth
Posts: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by funakison View Post
Of course in hindight we can judge Operation Barbarossa as a disaster for the Germans and therefore a huge mistake, but on the evidence available to Hitler in the spring of 1941 it did look a good bet. The disasters of Russias Winter War against Finland made th Soviet Union look weak, almost every one allied and axis alike thought it would be a walkover
That is true.

It's like munching on a bag of potato chips; the German high command couldn't, wouldn't stop.
machinecult is offline  
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #99
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaladan View Post
Some might regard the development of the atomic bomb to be a moral mistake.

Those people would be deficient in their understanding of history and human nature.
-Had the US not developed them and the allies successfully delayed the Germans, then it might have been the Germans nuking allied positions and cities.

-Like it or not, the threat of nuclear war helped keep WWIII from happening.
zincwarrior is offline  
Old December 17th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #100

Wenge's Avatar
American
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: The True Capital of China
Posts: 7,633

The biggest mistake of WWII was allowing the soviet union to have so much power in eastern europe. If that mistake had been rectified there would not have been a Cold War that was so dangerous to the rest of the world.
Wenge is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > General History

Tags
mistake, ww2


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nagasaki a mistake? dlf War and Military History 110 March 28th, 2014 02:20 AM
The greatest hint: Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. sylla1 War and Military History 7 November 12th, 2012 07:38 PM
Hitlers great Mistake EMPORORK Speculative History 209 April 17th, 2012 10:37 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.