Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > General History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

General History General History Forum - General history questions and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #1

Bharata's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Forum
Posts: 271
Romani people


Origin of Romani people? It's India - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience | NBC News

Bharata is offline  
Remove Ads
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #2
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Dehradun
Posts: 1,936

I think they are known as the Roma and have suffered a lot of persecution in different lands over the course of History.

According to this article they might have started their journey 1500 years ago.

The Hindu : News / International : Europe

National Book Trust has published a nice book on the Roma. Here is their flag ~

Click the image to open in full size.

I think they have a belief that they will return to India after Europe has been destroyed.
Jhangora is offline  
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #3

Bharata's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Forum
Posts: 271

So they beleive in destruction of europe?
Bharata is offline  
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Dehradun
Posts: 1,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharata View Post
So they beleive in destruction of europe?
That's what I read somewhere. Never met a Roma in my life. There are some gypsies in my hometown. I guess they are from Rajasthan and claim to be the descendants of Maharana Pratap.

They make small items of iron. BTW, what kindled your interest in the Roma people.
Jhangora is offline  
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2010
From: Hungary
Posts: 1,916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhangora View Post


I think they have a belief that they will return to India after Europe has been destroyed.
Quite unlikely as the Gypsies/Romas themselves were not aware of their Indian origin (due to lack of any literacy among them, it was forgotten) until the modern European scholars started to scientifically study their languages and discovered their relatedness to the Indo-Aryan languages. In the middle ages it was a popular theory that they came from Egypt and i think a small group of Balkan Gypsies also embraced it and still call themselves Egyptian.
Tulun is offline  
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Citizen
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 2

There are some gypsies in my hometown.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
robindevo is offline  
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #7

Bharata's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Forum
Posts: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhangora View Post
That's what I read somewhere. Never met a Roma in my life. There are some gypsies in my hometown. I guess they are from Rajasthan and claim to be the descendants of Maharana Pratap.

They make small items of iron. BTW, what kindled your interest in the Roma people.
Nothing just to show out of india migration during ancient times is possible
Bharata is offline  
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #8

Bharata's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Forum
Posts: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulun View Post
Quite unlikely as the Gypsies/Romas themselves were not aware of their Indian origin (due to lack of any literacy among them, it was forgotten) until the modern European scholars started to scientifically study their languages and discovered their relatedness to the Indo-Aryan languages. In the middle ages it was a popular theory that they came from Egypt and i think a small group of Balkan Gypsies also embraced it and still call themselves Egyptian.
True most of them could have easily blended into the country they settled in[after all it was 1500 years ago]
Bharata is offline  
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #9

Alaric's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Tetovo, Macedonia
Posts: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhangora View Post
That's what I read somewhere. Never met a Roma in my life. There are some gypsies in my hometown. I guess they are from Rajasthan and claim to be the descendants of Maharana Pratap.

They make small items of iron. BTW, what kindled your interest in the Roma people.
Do you know where you read it? I think it's safe to say it's not true, at least for most Roma.
Alaric is offline  
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #10

Niki86's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Balkans
Posts: 1,190

they sure look like Indians
Niki86 is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > General History

Tags
romani


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do we kill people who kill other people, just to prove killing people is wrong? Corto Maltese Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 62 May 8th, 2013 04:25 PM
'Romani' ("Gypsies") were Turkic traders ? Widdekind European History 24 March 18th, 2012 11:25 PM
Are educated people, happier people? studentoflife Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 48 February 5th, 2012 11:46 AM
Urban People...City People Richard Stanbery Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 69 May 13th, 2011 02:13 PM
Romani people (Gypsies) suffering in the World War II Tifrouine European History 28 August 7th, 2010 06:25 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.