Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > World History Forum > General History
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

General History General History Forum - General history questions and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #1

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 11,141
Blog Entries: 3
Maps Which Show Parallels in History/History Repeating Itself


This is a thread where we can post maps which show parallels in history and/or cases of history repeating itself.

Allow me to begin:

Europe in 1812:

Click the image to open in full size.

Source: http://fc.greensboroday.org/~ldrewic...leonEmpire.JPG

Europe in 1941-1942:

Click the image to open in full size.

Source: http://www.mrcochran.com/Pre%202011/...ope%201942.png

Basically, both of these maps show how one country dominated Europe, with Britain and Russia remaining the main/primary opponents of this country (and with Ottoman/Turkish neutrality in both of these cases). After this country invades Russia, it experiences a major setback in the Moscow area and eventually loses the war and thus loses all or almost all of its European territorial gains and puppet/satellite states.

Last edited by Futurist; August 10th, 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Futurist is offline  
Remove Ads
Old August 10th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #2

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 11,141
Blog Entries: 3

Here is another maps which shows a parallel in history:

A map of Europe on March 20, 1918:

Click the image to open in full size.

Source: http://maps.omniatlas.com/assets/img...pe19180320.png

A map of Europe on May 23, 2014:

Click the image to open in full size.

Source: http://maps.omniatlas.com/assets/img...pe20140523.png

Notice how similar Russia's borders in Europe and in the Caucasus in 2014 are to the Soviet Union's borders in Europe and in the Caucasus in 1918.
Futurist is offline  
Old August 10th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Australia
Posts: 1,566

The main thing that I would get from that map would be the demise of Austria Hungary. But you get what you get from it, if your focus is on dastardly Russia...
Boethus is offline  
Old August 10th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 11,141
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boethus View Post
The main thing that I would get from that map would be the demise of Austria Hungary. But you get what you get from it, if your focus is on dastardly Russia...
My focus here is on historical parallels using maps; as I previously stated here, it appears that Russia's current borders in Europe and in the Caucasus are very similar to the borders in these areas which Russia had in 1918, after the signing of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. Talking about Austria-Hungary here wouldn't be considered an example of a historical parallel, which is why I did not mention Austria-Hungary in relation to the two maps of Europe (for 1918 and for 2014) above.
Futurist is offline  
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #5
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Australia
Posts: 1,566

But there are few parallels, as in the centre of your map you have a large Prussia with Germany and a very large Austria Hungary. Whereas on the later map there are several countries in those areas.

As for the Soviet Union/Russian borders, well Stalin set them didn't he. It's not really too surprising that they resemble Brest/Litovsk. There hasn't been another war since to reset them, and hopefully there won't be.
Boethus is offline  
Old August 13th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #6

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 11,141
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boethus View Post
1. But there are few parallels, as in the centre of your map you have a large Prussia with Germany and a very large Austria Hungary. Whereas on the later map there are several countries in those areas.

2. As for the Soviet Union/Russian borders, well Stalin set them didn't he.

3. It's not really too surprising that they resemble Brest/Litovsk.

4. There hasn't been another war since to reset them, and hopefully there won't be.
1. I was only talking about that one specific parallel in this map; else, you are correct.

2. Actually, No; I think that these specific borders were set back in the late 1910s and/or in the early 1920s.

3. You are correct in the sense that the Brest-Litovsk borders appears to have been approximately based on ethnic boundaries, and the Soviet Union appears to have strongly promoted nationalism for at least a part of its history.

4. Well, there was that Russian conquest and annexation of Crimea earlier this year.
Futurist is offline  
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Australia
Posts: 1,566

2. Brest/Litovsk was the work of Trotsky. But Stalin was responsible for the borders at the end of the 2nd World War which superseded those of Brest/Litovsk.
3. I didn't say that they were based on ethnic boundaries, you are reading what you want to read. All I said was that in the place of Prussia and Austria/Hungary you now have a whole lot of smaller states. Austria/Hungary was a funny old empire, obviously not a very stable one. As for the old parts of Prussia then if you asked me if there is really a difference between Belarussians, Poles and Lithuanians I'd say 'probably not much' and they tend to bleed into each other anyway. People that spoke German in 1937 obviously speak Polish, Lithuanian or Estonian now. Belarussians are often Polish, Lithuanians were allied with Poland for quite a while and so sometimes the only difference 'ethnically' is the language spoken, which can and does change.
4. Yes and in the past 15 years the United States has invaded several countries and set up proxy dictators in several more. Crimea in comparison? Not much. If you want the world to be perfect, the current borders to be immoveable and your moralising to hold water then you will need to cut down on the hypocrisy.
Boethus is offline  
Old October 10th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #8

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 11,141
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boethus View Post
2. Brest/Litovsk was the work of Trotsky. But Stalin was responsible for the borders at the end of the 2nd World War which superseded those of Brest/Litovsk.
3. I didn't say that they were based on ethnic boundaries, you are reading what you want to read. All I said was that in the place of Prussia and Austria/Hungary you now have a whole lot of smaller states. Austria/Hungary was a funny old empire, obviously not a very stable one. As for the old parts of Prussia then if you asked me if there is really a difference between Belarussians, Poles and Lithuanians I'd say 'probably not much' and they tend to bleed into each other anyway. People that spoke German in 1937 obviously speak Polish, Lithuanian or Estonian now. Belarussians are often Polish, Lithuanians were allied with Poland for quite a while and so sometimes the only difference 'ethnically' is the language spoken, which can and does change.
4. Yes and in the past 15 years the United States has invaded several countries and set up proxy dictators in several more. Crimea in comparison? Not much. If you want the world to be perfect, the current borders to be immoveable and your moralising to hold water then you will need to cut down on the hypocrisy.
2. I think that I was talking about the borders of the SSRs themselves, rather than those of the Soviet Union.

3. OK.

4. I do not appear to be making a moral judgment of the annexation of Crimea; rather, I appear to have simply stated a fact.

Frankly, I myself support having Russia annex Crimea if a majority of the voters there approve of this move in a completely free and fair referendum.
Futurist is offline  
Old October 10th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #9

Futurist's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2014
From: SoCal
Posts: 11,141
Blog Entries: 3

The 18th century partitions of Poland by its neighbors:

Click the image to open in full size.

The 1939 partition of Poland by its neighbors:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Futurist; October 10th, 2014 at 11:24 PM.
Futurist is offline  
Old October 10th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #10
Suspended indefinitely
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Australia
Posts: 1,566

You'll like this one;

Kingdom of Jerusalem 12th Century
Click the image to open in full size.

Israel roughly now.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Boethus; October 11th, 2014 at 12:26 AM.
Boethus is offline  
Reply

  Historum > World History Forum > General History

Tags
history or history, maps, parallels, repeating



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is History Repeating Itself? Abbey New Users 4 July 30th, 2014 07:57 AM
Examples of History Repeating Itself... Bihop Odo General History 18 September 5th, 2013 03:23 PM
The colonial history is repeating itself in China. discover40 General History 1 July 2nd, 2011 03:31 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.