Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > History Book Reviews
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

History Book Reviews History Book Review Forum - Discussion of Non Fiction Books and Historical Novels


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #31
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: appalacian Mtns
Posts: 4,227

The video is the biggest perk. About like Netflix.
M9Powell is offline  
Remove Ads
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:36 AM   #32

Pedro's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Posts: 16,904
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidius View Post
... and in a Kindle you don't even get any colour.
You must have a very old kindle. My kindle has all the color I need and it is over five or six years since Ive had it.
Pedro is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #33

Corvidius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: Crows nest
Posts: 1,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
You must have a very old kindle. My kindle has all the color I need and it is over five or six years since Ive had it.
I've got an Oasis, only monochrome. You're not thinking about the Fire maybe, as there won't be a standard Kindle e-reader with a color display for another year or more I think.

Last edited by Corvidius; October 17th, 2017 at 11:45 AM.
Corvidius is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #34

Pedro's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
From: On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Posts: 16,904
Blog Entries: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidius View Post
I've got an Oasis, only monochrome. You're not thinking about the Fire maybe, as there won't be a standard Kindle e-reader with a color display for another year or more I think.
I was referring to Kindle Fire. It has had color since Ive owned it. Is Oasis a kindle product. I am confused.
Pedro is offline  
Old October 17th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #35
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: appalacian Mtns
Posts: 4,227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I was referring to Kindle Fire. It has had color since Ive owned it. Is Oasis a kindle product. I am confused.
Kindle fire is a tablet much like an iPad.
Kindle oasis is an e-ink reader.

You can read books on either but for pure reading the e-ink reader is best. But the fire is so much more, with a 16-9 ratio 1080P screen, SD card for storing lots of video & Dolby stereo speakers it's perfect for watching movies, which the iPad sucks at.

Last edited by M9Powell; October 17th, 2017 at 04:04 PM.
M9Powell is offline  
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #36

History Chick's Avatar
Genealogist
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
Posts: 3,249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
You must have a very old kindle. My kindle has all the color I need and it is over five or six years since Ive had it.
It has nothing to do with age - Kindle Fires are tablets, Kindle's eInk models are black and white, they are both still being produced with new models coming out all the time. Fires have back lit screens, like a tablet/computer. eInk is not back lit, it looks just like paper and ink. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink

Color eInk has improved very much and I'm hoping it's not long before Kindle adopts it. I haven't been motivated to get a new eInk Kindle for the last few years, the upgrades just don't seem worth it (Waterproof? My Kindle has been waterproof for years - it's called a ziplock bag and doesn't cost $250). But color... I'd upgrade for that. Just hope it's not asymmetrical like the new ones are now... that would drive me crazy.
History Chick is offline  
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #37

Jax's Avatar
Jax
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Seattle
Posts: 6,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Chick View Post
It has nothing to do with age - Kindle Fires are tablets, Kindle's eInk models are black and white, they are both still being produced with new models coming out all the time. Fires have back lit screens, like a tablet/computer. eInk is not back lit, it looks just like paper and ink. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink

Color eInk has improved very much and I'm hoping it's not long before Kindle adopts it. I haven't been motivated to get a new eInk Kindle for the last few years, the upgrades just don't seem worth it (Waterproof? My Kindle has been waterproof for years - it's called a ziplock bag and doesn't cost $250). But color... I'd upgrade for that. Just hope it's not asymmetrical like the new ones are now... that would drive me crazy.
I guess I'm not very clear on this. Why settle on a eInk Kindle over a tablet?

I understand that eInk only uses power when it's being used but I can have multiple tablets that can access the same content at the same time.
Jax is offline  
Old October 18th, 2017, 04:55 PM   #38
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: appalacian Mtns
Posts: 4,227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I guess I'm not very clear on this. Why settle on a eInk Kindle over a tablet?

I understand that eInk only uses power when it's being used but I can have multiple tablets that can access the same content at the same time.
If u can only have 1, make it a fire tablet, but the best is have both. The e-ink readers are better for reading books. But that's all they do. Smaller lighter, battery life is orders of magnitude better. Easier on ur eyes.
M9Powell is offline  
Old October 18th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #39

Jax's Avatar
Jax
Historian
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Seattle
Posts: 6,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by M9Powell View Post
If u can only have 1, make it a fire tablet, but the best is have both. The e-ink readers are better for reading books. But that's all they do. Smaller lighter, battery life is orders of magnitude better. Easier on ur eyes.
But what if you need to open a link?
Jax is offline  
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #40

Corvidius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: Crows nest
Posts: 1,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Chick View Post

Color eInk has improved very much and I'm hoping it's not long before Kindle adopts it. I haven't been motivated to get a new eInk Kindle for the last few years, the upgrades just don't seem worth it
A color Kindle e-reader has been in development since last year, so maybe next year we will see one. I must admit that the waterproof Oasis is a gimmick, but the non waterproof one is very good, far better than all previous models of Kindle, except the price....

General question, I hope we are all going to get some payment for this thread
Corvidius is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > History Book Reviews

Tags
amazon, deals, kindle



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traditional books or Amazon Kindle ? halomanuk History Book Reviews 105 June 29th, 2011 08:53 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.