Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > History Book Reviews
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

History Book Reviews History Book Review Forum - Discussion of Non Fiction Books and Historical Novels


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #41

Kevinmeath's Avatar
Acting Corporal
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Navan, Ireland
Posts: 12,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmeath View Post
Reading this at the moment very interesting

Click the image to open in full size.
The life of William Marshal

Just finished the book (last day of the holidays) really enjoyed it a fascinating subject and great to learn the life of a 'common' man or at least the life of poor Knight.

The landless second son sets out to make his fortune and dies (after many ups and downs) and Earl 'Guardian of the Realm', buries 4 Kings and is a bye word for the 'honourable Knight'.

His line is not well known in Britain as he dies very rich and powerful but none of his 5 sons produce a male heir so the name disappeared (in his direct line) but his eldest ,William, has a reasonably successful life as a Knight but his two marriages produce only daughters his name is not carried on but he commissions a French monk to write a biography of his father.

This work is forgotten until rediscovered in the late 19th century, while his name was known and came up in records occasionally the discovery of an actual biography was ,as you might expect, stunning.

Anyone interested in the period will find it a most interesting read and anyone new to the period will find it very readable.
Kevinmeath is online now  
Remove Ads
Old January 8th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #42

Kevinmeath's Avatar
Acting Corporal
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Navan, Ireland
Posts: 12,272

My next read
Click the image to open in full size.

I have read that it is a 'biased' account of the crusades, but isn't that the point?

Will find it an interesting read I hope.
Kevinmeath is online now  
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:16 PM   #43

Earl_of_Rochester's Avatar
Scoundrel
Member of the Year
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: Perambulating in St James' Park
Posts: 13,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmeath View Post
My next read
Click the image to open in full size.

I have read that it is a 'biased' account of the crusades, but isn't that the point?

Will find it an interesting read I hope.
This book is very good, tho I have the audio version. I find that if I don't have much time to read it's nice to relax to an audio book.
Earl_of_Rochester is offline  
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #44

Kevinmeath's Avatar
Acting Corporal
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Navan, Ireland
Posts: 12,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl_of_Rochester View Post
This book is very good, tho I have the audio version. I find that if I don't have much time to read it's nice to relax to an audio book.
I relly enjoy listening to books in this way but it tends to make me fall asleep (very peacefully) a relic of childhood stories at bedtime I presume!

read mixed reviews of the book to be honest, some of which miss' the point in that it reads the Crusades through Muslim eyes!! the point really.
Kevinmeath is online now  
Old June 4th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #45

Kevinmeath's Avatar
Acting Corporal
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Navan, Ireland
Posts: 12,272

Just finished all 10 of Bernard Cornwall's 'Last Kingdom'.

Have been struggling with history lately and found it difficult to finish a book. But watched and enjoyed the series on BBC2.

So bought the first 8 books in a set (had read the first any years ago) and then later the last 2 in the series.

Now its cheap 'junk' literature or a 'beach' book but I really enjoyed them and found them very easy to read.

So I think I am going to stick to historical fiction for a while any recommendations.?

Click the image to open in full size.
Kevinmeath is online now  
Old June 4th, 2017, 01:26 PM   #46

Macconermaoile's Avatar
Scholar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 633

Kevin,
Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles is excellent, it's his version of the King Arthur myth. Also read anything by Christian Cameron and you will be entertained.
Macconermaoile is offline  
Old June 4th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #47

Kevinmeath's Avatar
Acting Corporal
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Navan, Ireland
Posts: 12,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macconermaoile View Post
Kevin,
Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles is excellent, it's his version of the King Arthur myth. Also read anything by Christian Cameron and you will be entertained.
Read his Arthur series many years ago really good will look into Christian Cameron
Kevinmeath is online now  
Old June 10th, 2017, 05:49 AM   #48

dwight's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Australia
Posts: 276
Blog Entries: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinmeath View Post
Just finished all 10 of Bernard Cornwall's 'Last Kingdom'.

Have been struggling with history lately and found it difficult to finish a book. But watched and enjoyed the series on BBC2.

So bought the first 8 books in a set (had read the first any years ago) and then later the last 2 in the series.

Now its cheap 'junk' literature or a 'beach' book but I really enjoyed them and found them very easy to read.

So I think I am going to stick to historical fiction for a while any recommendations.?

Click the image to open in full size.
I wouldn't call Bernard junk! Maybe page-turner is more accurate. He's a great writer! Just not academic fare.
dwight is offline  
Old July 10th, 2017, 02:42 PM   #49

Kevinmeath's Avatar
Acting Corporal
 
Joined: May 2011
From: Navan, Ireland
Posts: 12,272

Click the image to open in full size.

Have just finished the 3 of 4 of this set of books and have enjoyed them and it set of an interest in a period in history I have only a sketchy idea about the late Roman Empire.

As a result I got

Click the image to open in full size.

Not sure how good it is but it reads OK at the moment but I do not know the subject and it cost all of 1 euro 14 cent

plus

Click the image to open in full size.
Kevinmeath is online now  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > History Book Reviews

Tags
ebooks, kevinmeaths



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About the eBooks lloyd New Users 7 August 6th, 2010 12:36 AM
More history ebooks! Commander General History 9 February 8th, 2009 03:57 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.