Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > History in Films and on Television
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

History in Films and on Television History in Films and on TV - Documentary Films, Historical Dramas, and history programs on PBS and the History Channel


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2017, 05:58 AM   #1

Tulius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2016
From: Portugal
Posts: 1,134
TV series “Nobel”


Recently I saw the first two episodes of the Norwegian TV Series “Nobel”, a Political thriller that follows the history of a soldier returning home after a tour in Afghanistan.

I found it quite interesting, I will try to follow it and I also recommend it.

But it is interesting to see in a fictional TV series the intervention in Afghanistan from a non-USA perspective.

For now the minus that I would underline is the tendency to a pseudo-amateur trembling camera.

EDIT: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4591834/

Last edited by Tulius; February 10th, 2017 at 06:01 AM.
Tulius is online now  
Remove Ads
Old February 10th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Lucius's Avatar
the governed self
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Nebraska
Posts: 15,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulius View Post
...

For now the minus that I would underline is the tendency to a pseudo-amateur trembling camera.
That might have been done on purpose, to enhance the vérité of the Cinéma, so to speak.
Lucius is online now  
Old February 10th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #3

Tulius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2016
From: Portugal
Posts: 1,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
That might have been done on purpose, to enhance the vérité of the Cinéma, so to speak.
Yes, the show seems to be done quite professionally, but in my opinion the vérité of the Cinéma is in this case quite annoying. Fortunately it doesn’t happen always.

Did you saw the show? Don't know if it is avaiable in the US.
Tulius is online now  
Old February 10th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #4

Lucius's Avatar
the governed self
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Nebraska
Posts: 15,020

No, I didn't, and I don't see where it has English subtitles.
Lucius is online now  
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #5

Tulius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2016
From: Portugal
Posts: 1,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
No, I didn't, and I don't see where it has English subtitles.
If you want, I can send you a PM to where I saw it, but probably it won’t help you much. The subtitles are in Portuguese.

EDIT: The show is in Norwegian, there are some small dialogues in English and in other language, probably Pashto (?)

EDIT: Any Norwegian fellow member out there can gives us a tip here?

Last edited by Tulius; February 10th, 2017 at 03:09 PM.
Tulius is online now  
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Historian
 
Joined: Jan 2016
From: Haryana, India
Posts: 1,535
Blog Entries: 5

I just finished watching the first episode after reading the OP. This show seems to be promising, and has thus far been quite enjoyable. I agree that the camera trembles a lot, but it doesn't really have any significant effect on the watching experience. In any case, thank you for this recommendation.
Bhrigu is offline  
Old February 10th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #7

Lucius's Avatar
the governed self
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Nebraska
Posts: 15,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulius View Post
If you want, I can send you a PM to where I saw it, but probably it won’t help you much. The subtitles are in Portuguese. ...
Thank-you, Tulius. But I already watch too much TV in any case.
Lucius is online now  
Old February 12th, 2017, 05:38 AM   #8

Tulius's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2016
From: Portugal
Posts: 1,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrigu View Post
I just finished watching the first episode after reading the OP. This show seems to be promising, and has thus far been quite enjoyable. I agree that the camera trembles a lot, but it doesn't really have any significant effect on the watching experience. In any case, thank you for this recommendation.
I saw the first 2 in a single “episode”. But yes, I agree that the trembling camera doesn't really have any significant effect on the watching experience. It is just an annoying detail. Hope to see more episodes available soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Thank-you, Tulius. But I already watch too much TV in any case.
I see less and less “traditional” TV, and more and more “online” TV. It has its ups and downs, but allows me to choose what I really want to see. And I still recall when in Portugal we had only 2 TV channels! Man, I must be old!
Tulius is online now  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > History in Films and on Television

Tags
series, “nobel”



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nobel, well-off and honest parents ... AlpinLuke Art and Cultural History 0 March 8th, 2016 12:59 AM
The Top 20 Most Controversial Nobel Prizes ahjfcshfghb General History 10 September 7th, 2015 05:22 AM
Nobel Prize Controversies NewModelSoldier General History 43 July 13th, 2013 04:46 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.