Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > History in Films and on Television
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

History in Films and on Television History in Films and on TV - Documentary Films, Historical Dramas, and history programs on PBS and the History Channel


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Gudenrath's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: May 2012
From: Denmark
Posts: 2,626
Black Sails


So since I watched the first episode of this and noone else has started a thread about this, I figured I should.

Well, I am disappointed. Not hugely, since I didn't expect much to begin with. But this show is basically Pirates of the Caribbean with boobs. The boobs are nice, but as a historical show it is as disappointing as that Spartacus failure. A bunch of supermodels pretending they know how to act and the gore and sex is obviously added to provide the show with some sort of rationale.

There is nothing historical about this. From the very beginning where it states that the Pirates has decided to wage war on civilisation as some kind of sophisticated Heath Ledger Jokers, completetly detached from the historical reality. And then there is the problem of women and black people having an executive role in affairs in the Carribean during the beginning of the 18th century. All complete crap and as artificial as the acting of the models supposed to represent the main characters.

As in the equally bad Spartacus shows, the producers seems to think that catwalk models, boobs and gore is the way to create a tv-series that is historically convincing similar to the wellknown HBO shows.Needless to say they fail miserably.

Edit: Yes, I am drunk, so I don't finish sentences.

Last edited by Gudenrath; January 31st, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
Gudenrath is offline  
Remove Ads
Old February 1st, 2014, 02:19 AM   #2

Scaeva's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,305

I thought it was good, but then I didn't go into it expecting a fairly accurate take on 18th Century pirates. Its intended as a prequel of sorts to Treasure Island, which is the book probably most responsible for pirates being romanticized. If I'm not mistaken, Treasure Island was the first work of fiction to portray pirates as burying treasure and keeping parrots as pets. It also has a peg-legged pirate.

At least three of the characters in the series are characters in the book. Jon Silver and Billy Bones both have fairly substantial roles (Silver being a major character), and while Flint doesn't appear in the book, he's mentioned a few times.

Last edited by Scaeva; February 1st, 2014 at 02:21 AM.
Scaeva is offline  
Old February 1st, 2014, 02:45 AM   #3

Thegn Ansgar's Avatar
Zhenglu da jiangjun
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Canada
Posts: 5,614
Blog Entries: 3

There's boobs?

I'm going to watch this now.
Thegn Ansgar is offline  
Old February 1st, 2014, 02:56 AM   #4

Scaeva's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,305

An edited version (no nudity) of the full first episode is posted online, if anyone is interested. Its official, so no piracy involved.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v68pX9k4PJY]Black Sails: Episode 1 (FULL EPISODE - US ONLY) - YouTube[/ame]
Scaeva is offline  
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:08 AM   #5

Belisarius's Avatar
Dominus Historiae
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: U.K.
Posts: 10,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudenrath View Post
...And then there is the problem of women and black people having an executive role in affairs in the Carribean during the beginning of the 18th century. All complete crap and as artificial as the acting of the models supposed to represent the main characters...
There are recorded instances of both female and black pirate captains in the 18th century, so don't be too harsh on the scriptwriters.
Belisarius is online now  
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:41 AM   #6
Historian
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,353

Considering the names used - Flint, Silver, Pew, Bones, "The Walrus" - i figure it as a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's famed "Treasure Island."
kazeuma is offline  
Old February 1st, 2014, 06:05 AM   #7

Thegn Ansgar's Avatar
Zhenglu da jiangjun
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Canada
Posts: 5,614
Blog Entries: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazeuma View Post
Considering the names used - Flint, Silver, Pew, Bones, "The Walrus" - i figure it as a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's famed "Treasure Island."
That's exactly what it is.
Thegn Ansgar is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:42 AM   #8

Aegon's Avatar
Citizen
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: USA
Posts: 22

Spartacus, a failure? What? It was pretty highly rated and very entertaining.

I'm really enjoying Black Sails so far. It's about time we had a pirate-themed TV show.
Aegon is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Suspended until August 24th, 2018
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: The People's Republik of Kalifornia.
Posts: 8,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudenrath View Post
So since I watched the first episode of this and noone else has started a thread about this, I figured I should.

Well, I am disappointed. Not hugely, since I didn't expect much to begin with. But this show is basically Pirates of the Caribbean with boobs. The boobs are nice, but as a historical show it is as disappointing as that Spartacus failure. A bunch of supermodels pretending they know how to act and the gore and sex is obviously added to provide the show with some sort of rationale.

There is nothing historical about this. From the very beginning where it states that the Pirates has decided to wage war on civilisation as some kind of sophisticated Heath Ledger Jokers, completetly detached from the historical reality. And then there is the problem of women and black people having an executive role in affairs in the Carribean during the beginning of the 18th century. All complete crap and as artificial as the acting of the models supposed to represent the main characters.

As in the equally bad Spartacus shows, the producers seems to think that catwalk models, boobs and gore is the way to create a tv-series that is historically convincing similar to the wellknown HBO shows.Needless to say they fail miserably.

Edit: Yes, I am drunk, so I don't finish sentences.
Good post. I fully agree. Spartacus is a ridiculous show, this Black Sails, is just more of the same.
Menshevik is offline  
Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:18 PM   #10

Nemowork's Avatar
Teflon Soul
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: South of the barcodes
Posts: 8,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaeva View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Treasure Island was the first work of fiction to portray pirates as burying treasure and keeping parrots as pets. It also has a peg-legged pirate.
As a piece of trivia, the parrot wasnt a pirate thing it was a sailor thing.

Theyre cheap to buy in the tropics, easy to keep since they dont take up much space in a crowded mess deck and if you sell them in Britain as an exotic pet they are a very high priced commodity.

Plus of course theyre entertainment while your at sea.

Basically theyre trade goods as much as a pet.
Nemowork is online now  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > History in Films and on Television

Tags
black, sails



Search tags for this page
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Athena ancient Greece's Black African origins Earl_of_Rochester Speculative History 13 March 7th, 2016 03:06 PM
Black Sails BloodyPirate History in Films and on Television 3 November 24th, 2013 03:36 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.