Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > Themes in History > History in Films and on Television
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

History in Films and on Television History in Films and on TV - Documentary Films, Historical Dramas, and history programs on PBS and the History Channel


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #11

JimR-OCDS's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,307

Abraham Woodhull also "Turned." He was a loyalist to start off with.



Jim
JimR-OCDS is offline  
Remove Ads
Old April 16th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #12

Alexander H's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Georgia USA
Posts: 1,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
Abraham Woodhull also "Turned." He was a loyalist to start off with.



Jim
They spend alot of time with Major Andre ... that's what makes me think they are headed toward West Point . . . but yes you are correct
Alexander H is offline  
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #13

Baltis's Avatar
Goat Whisperer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Texas
Posts: 3,926
Blog Entries: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander H View Post
They spend alot of time with Major Andre ... that's what makes me think they are headed toward West Point . . . but yes you are correct
I am currently reading the book they based on and it definitely devotes substantial attention to the Arnold/Andre affair.
Baltis is offline  
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:06 AM   #14

Alexander H's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Georgia USA
Posts: 1,872

why do you think they started right after the British invasion of NY ... when the ring didn't start until a year later ?? ... just jumped right over Nathen Hale

seems pointless

and there's no link to Trenton and the Culper Ring ...that didn't exist yet

Last edited by Alexander H; May 1st, 2014 at 08:13 AM.
Alexander H is offline  
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:41 AM   #15

Baltis's Avatar
Goat Whisperer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Texas
Posts: 3,926
Blog Entries: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander H View Post
why do you think they started right after the British invasion of NY ... when the ring didn't start until a year later ?? ... just jumped right over Nathen Hale

seems pointless

and there's no link to Trenton and the Culper Ring ...that didn't exist yet
I am not certain but I think they might be taking a few liberties with history to make the show. I noticed in the last episode they were digging up tombstones to make a redoubt for artillery. I think that may be coming from an event that occurred in 1782. However, I do have some sympathy for the writers of the show. The details of the Culper Ring appear pretty scanty and they need more in order to actually write a program.
Baltis is offline  
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:53 AM   #16

Alexander H's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Georgia USA
Posts: 1,872

yes but you can fill in the holes with fiction and still not totally mess with the history itself
Alexander H is offline  
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:59 AM   #17

Baltis's Avatar
Goat Whisperer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Texas
Posts: 3,926
Blog Entries: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander H View Post
yes but you can fill in the holes with fiction and still not totally mess with the history itself
no argument there. I wish they had gone with something more like a Joseph Plumb Martin story instead of the Culper ring. So much more detail is actually known.
Baltis is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:15 AM   #18

DeadCorn's Avatar
Lecturer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
From: NY, NY
Posts: 300

I'm sorry guys, but this show has such a "network" feel to it. The acting varies between "blond" and "wooden." Throw in some ketchup, some bad words and an outhouse and you have a so-called ground-breaking "Cable Network Historical Drama" in the making. Yuck. For a short while I got confused who was who. By the time I figured it out I really could care less.

It's like a commercial trying to act all growed up like. It could even be sponsored by say Preparation H. Here's what, break to a commercial, show a white guy eating crazy-spicy hot Thai food the night before. Then, next morning cut to him standing in front of the bathroom mirror with a look of death on his face and play that old 60's song "I've got a lov-e-ly bunch of coco-nuts, all sit-ting in a row..."


Love to see a good Revolutionary War era drama re: the Baylor Massacre, or just do 'The Frontiersman' by Allen W. Eckert for chrissakes. How many pulitzers did the guy get nominated for afterall? Seven? Wonder if he could write?

Last edited by DeadCorn; May 3rd, 2014 at 01:22 AM.
DeadCorn is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:52 AM   #19

Baltis's Avatar
Goat Whisperer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Texas
Posts: 3,926
Blog Entries: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadCorn View Post
I'm sorry guys, but this show has such a "network" feel to it. The acting varies between "blond" and "wooden." Throw in some ketchup, some bad words and an outhouse and you have a so-called ground-breaking "Cable Network Historical Drama" in the making. Yuck. For a short while I got confused who was who. By the time I figured it out I really could care less.

It's like a commercial trying to act all growed up like. It could even be sponsored by say Preparation H. Here's what, break to a commercial, show a white guy eating crazy-spicy hot Thai food the night before. Then, next morning cut to him standing in front of the bathroom mirror with a look of death on his face and play that old 60's song "I've got a lov-e-ly bunch of coco-nuts, all sit-ting in a row..."


Love to see a good Revolutionary War era drama re: the Baylor Massacre, or just do 'The Frontiersman' by Allen W. Eckert for chrissakes. How many pulitzers did the guy get nominated for afterall? Seven? Wonder if he could write?

Might be an excellent idea, Allen Eckert definitely provided the details necessary for good episodes. But not just the Frontiersman, let's get the entire Winning of America series.
Baltis is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:35 AM   #20

JimR-OCDS's Avatar
Historian
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,307

Well, based on what's on TV generally, this is at the top.

Yeah, it's not the level we perhaps like to see, but a TV production at that level is probably too expensive.


Although, the 4th episode I just watched, the graphics of New York Harbor were very good.

Anyway, the more we support such programs, the better ones will follow.


I too would love to see David McCullough's 1776 put into a Spielberg/Hanks production type series on the level of Band of Brothers that they did.

Jim
JimR-OCDS is offline  
Reply

  Historum > Themes in History > History in Films and on Television

Tags
turn



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TURN CasualTy History in Films and on Television 3 April 7th, 2014 12:30 PM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.