Historum - History Forums  

Go Back   Historum - History Forums > History Help Forum > History Help
Register Forums Blogs Social Groups Mark Forums Read

History Help History Help and Homework Forum - Pre-University and University History Help and Homework Questions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Citizen
 
Joined: May 2018
From: Canada
Posts: 4
Lightbulb Question from a Dummy: State Duma


So I'm writing an story revolving around a man who lived in Russia in 1916. I have done a few research, but I still feel like I need some clarity in a few areas:

- When one is a member of State Duma, how do others address his occupation? Will simply calling him a 'politician' suffice?

- Do members of State Duma wear different uniforms depending on their ranks? If there's any source that shows the difference in their uniforms, please share the link!

- What kind of works do members of State Duma do, exactly?
Maruki is offline  
Remove Ads
Old May 30th, 2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Scholar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Prague, Czech Republic
Posts: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruki View Post
When one is a member of State Duma, how do others address his occupation? Will simply calling him a 'politician' suffice?

They were called deputies, but being a deputy in the Duma was not an occupation, in the sense that it would be for a modern politician. It was not a full time job, and wasn't really a job at all - you weren't paid to sit in the Duma. About half the members were nobles in 1916, with many of the rest being lawyers and businessmen - you had to have enough money to go to St Petersburg and sit there without getting paid, after all. I think the RSDLP may have paid its own members from party funds.


Quote:
- Do members of State Duma wear different uniforms depending on their ranks? If there's any source that shows the difference in their uniforms, please share the link!
There were no ranks - the Duma was a consultative political body, not a military branch. They wore suits, though some of the nobles who were officers in the military may have worn their uniforms to sessions - not sure on this. Here are some centre-left deputies attending the second Duma (1907), courtesy of wikipedia:



Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
What kind of works do members of State Duma do, exactly?
If you mean what work did they do as deputies to the Duma; they sat around and talked about public policy and voted on proposed laws. If you mean what work did they do when not sitting in the Duma, most were landowners; several were businessmen, some were lawyers and a few from the revolutionary parties were career politicians paid by the party.
Kaficek is offline  
Old May 30th, 2018, 06:44 PM   #3
Citizen
 
Joined: May 2018
From: Canada
Posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaficek View Post
They were called deputies, but being a deputy in the Duma was not an occupation, in the sense that it would be for a modern politician. It was not a full time job, and wasn't really a job at all - you weren't paid to sit in the Duma. About half the members were nobles in 1916, with many of the rest being lawyers and businessmen - you had to have enough money to go to St Petersburg and sit there without getting paid, after all. I think the RSDLP may have paid its own members from party funds.

If you mean what work did they do as deputies to the Duma; they sat around and talked about public policy and voted on proposed laws. If you mean what work did they do when not sitting in the Duma, most were landowners; several were businessmen, some were lawyers and a few from the revolutionary parties were career politicians paid by the party.
This information is all very interesting, thank you very much for clarifying!

Wiki stated however, that "The office as deputy of the State Duma is a full-time and professional position.[11] Thus, deputies to the State Duma may not be employed in the civil service or engage in any activities for remuneration other than teaching, research or other creative activities." Does this mean that it was viewed as an occupation back in the days, but in reality they didn't do much?

This leads to me wondering, was being a member of State Duma something to be proud of back in the days? Or is it something any nobles can do as long as they're at the appropriate age and wishes to?


Can you also elaborate more on the 'a few from the revolutionary parties were career politicians paid by the party.'? Why are they chosen and paid?
Maruki is offline  
Old June 4th, 2018, 12:00 PM   #4
Scholar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: Prague, Czech Republic
Posts: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruki View Post
This information is all very interesting, thank you very much for clarifying!

You're welcome.


Quote:
Wiki stated however, that "The office as deputy of the State Duma is a full-time and professional position.[11] Thus, deputies to the State Duma may not be employed in the civil service or engage in any activities for remuneration other than teaching, research or other creative activities." Does this mean that it was viewed as an occupation back in the days, but in reality they didn't do much?
The quote above from Wikipedia is discussing the rules for deputies in the State Duma today, in the 21st century. A lot has changed in the last century, and back in the days of the Russian Empire there was no universal suffrage, nor any intention on behalf of elites that any old commoner would be able to participate in government. Representatives were not paid, because only people from the wealthier classes who could afford to support themselves were expected to be involved. This is not unique to Russia - members of the British House of Commons were not paid in 1916 either - the first working class socialist MPs like Keir Hardie had to raise money from party comrades to find their living expenses.


Quote:
This leads to me wondering, was being a member of State Duma something to be proud of back in the days? Or is it something any nobles can do as long as they're at the appropriate age and wishes to?
I don't know, sorry - I'm not an expert on this, so I don't really know how deputies were perceived socially. Hopefully someone else on the board has more insight than me.


Quote:
Can you also elaborate more on the 'a few from the revolutionary parties were career politicians paid by the party.'? Why are they chosen and paid?
The revolutionary left parties had people who worked full time for the party and were paid from contributions of party members. How they selected their deputies I don't know. A friend of mine recommends Leninís Electoral Strategy from 1907 to the October Revolution of 1917 for details on how the RSLDP (the party that would go on to create the Soviet Union) functioned at the time. That friend is an unrepentant Marxist, though, so bear that in mind if you have a look.
Kaficek is offline  
Old June 15th, 2018, 06:57 AM   #5
Citizen
 
Joined: May 2018
From: Canada
Posts: 4

Thank you for sharing the information! Really appreciate it I will check out the book as well.

There's one other thing I'm wondering. Can the member of State Duma have a political position at the same time, such as Minister of Court, etc?

Last edited by Maruki; June 15th, 2018 at 07:00 AM.
Maruki is offline  
Reply

  Historum > History Help Forum > History Help

Tags
duma, dummy, nobility, russian, state



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about the fall of Neo-Inca State Wodz Mikolaj American History 4 July 13th, 2016 10:52 AM
Question about the formation of Italy as a state in XIX century Romanianboy2013 European History 2 April 25th, 2016 01:23 AM
1.000.000 Gold Mark treaty dennounced by Duma Haltec History Help 3 September 10th, 2013 03:56 AM
What can one dummy tell another about self-learning? coberst Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology 6 October 2nd, 2009 11:09 AM
Question on Federal vs state powers debate BBStorm American History 2 December 18th, 2008 10:18 AM

Copyright © 2006-2013 Historum. All rights reserved.